Thursday 6 June 2019

Thursday

Good morning

I was rather ashamed after yesterday's little grumble.  After all, I have a good life - enough food, warmth, shelter, finances, am retired with good friends and plenty of good things to do.  What right have I to take the gloomy pathway!  That was the theme of my self-ticking-off yesterday morning - after a reviving coffee.

So I decided to write down all the positive things I did during the day and here we are . . .
I planted a baby lupin, a gift from Dad, out the back
I picked strawberries - and ate them
I washed the bathroom floor - OK, it wasn't necessary but I accidentally splooshed a great wave of water over the side while having my bath!
I went shopping to Aldi and treated myself to a bunch of sweet williams, just because I'm worth it, as the advert goes
Then I went to Dunelm Mill next door to Aldi and bought four white hand towels for the new bathroom - I did need some but it felt indulgent, all the same
AND when I got home, I put it all away!
I'm now well stocked up with loo rolls :-)
I did 40 minutes of decluttering in my bedroom AND changed the sheets
I did all the washing and most of the ironing, all bar one load (the sheets) and even aired everything and put it all away
I went to SW group (two a half pounds on, oh dear, but it's another week now so no recriminations, just learn and move on) and I won the raffle.  Woo hoo.
Also, this morning the sun is shining and, as it rained yesterday, I don't need to worry about watering the garden, I have picked some strawberries and I have picked some little peas.  Yum.



All that listing has worked - it's cheered me up and made me feel that my day had some purpose to it after all.

I have been rather upsy downsy recently, I know, and I suppose it is natural and inevitable that I should find this so, but I am doing my best to be a Pollyanna and keep as cheerful as I can with just the occasional lapse.  Off loading to all of you is definitely helpful and I count you as a really positive influence.  Thank you very much for your kindness and understanding.

Today I actually have diary things to do.  This morning I will do the homey stuff - finish the ironing, tidy up, carry on with my bedroom (although it is looking so much better already, I am happy now to leave the door open now) and plan for today's tuition.
My friend, Val, is coming round and we're off to Writtle, a nearly village that has a delightful village green and some lovely old houses, for a stroll around and lunch.
Then I have tuition followed by dinner and  pottery in the evening.  I should be able to glaze my last coaster and then I will get on with my leaf/flame bowl.

I should be good and tired by bedtime, don't you think!
Have a great day.  xx





12 comments:

  1. We are allowed to have down days, you know - I have many!! (a lot more than you, and I moan about them a lot more than you). And you're still going through the grieving process, which takes a long time. But I'm happy you're feeling so much better today. Please don't apologise, Joy - you have nothing to apologise for. We are now starting to pick our strawberries too - aren't they just wonderful?! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shop bought ones don't even come close and I just love the way the bit in the middle slides out so easily! I wish the seasohn was longer - they're so delicious and guilt free! :-)
      (and thank you)
      xx

      Delete
  2. No need to apologise for having a down day but it's good to hear that you are feeling better today. Lunch out with your friend is the perfect remedy and am keeping my fingers crossed that you can find something indulgent to eat without piling on the pounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Well, if the worst comes to the worst, it is one meal, one day, that's all. But fingers crossed anyway.
      xx

      Delete
  3. I'm very bad and prefer frozen peas to fresh although I do grow a few mange-tout.
    Years ago we used to be able to go to a farm and buy a bucket of fresh peas straight from the pea harvester and then spend ages blanching and freezing - they were ones grown for freezing the first petit pois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely is that! The pods you get from the supermarked have peas so hard and bullet like, they are just not nice at all.
      xx

      Delete
  4. It's good to be positive, but some days we all need to get it out and offload a little, especially after a difficult time. Don't be so hard on yourself.
    Those fresh peas look fabulous. We're still waiting on our strawberries. We just need some more sunshine to ripen them. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was just a mouthful but they were so, so delicious! It rtooke me back to childhood when Dad always grew peas in the garden.
      There's just a few strawberries at a time - most don't get as far as the back door! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  5. I LOVE fresh peas, no strawberries here yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were gorgeous, Gill. Just a couple of mouthfuls of heaven!!!
      xx

      Delete
  6. I love to play Pollyanna too, but sometimes it just isn't there! You seem to have done a great job of getting yourself cheered back up again. Hope you enjoyed your walk and lunch. And I know you will have enjoyed your pottery class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, it really takes me out of myself does pottery, even when things are not working out properly. In fact, it was a lovely day all round really.
      xx

      Delete