Sunday 23 June 2019

Sunday

Good morning, everyone.  After a simply gorgeous day yesterday, it looks like being fine again today although with some cloud at times.  Good oh!

I sneezed so much yesterday in the high pollen count and then realised I had forgotten to take my tablet.  Once taken, things settled down again and, once more, I was grateful for the availability of such things.  I always get a generic version - Morrisons or Aldi, and they are absolutely fine.  No need for the dearer brands.

After breakfast in the garden, I set some soya milk on to make some yogurt.  I've not turned vegan but I have a friend coming to stay next month who has a number of intolerences and downright allergies and dairy is becoming an issue for her.  I thought I'd give soy yogurt a whirl in my instant pot and it worked!  I was so pleased.  It's a bit runny so I researched (oh, OK, Googled) and, yes, you can strain it like ordinary yogurt, so this morning I will give that a go this morning.  I read that if you strain it for long enough, you end up with a non dairy soft 'cheese' so that might be worth trying as well.

I popped out the front and gave my new hoe a work out.  My goodness, a sharp tool does make a difference.  The pleasure of chopping the heads off weeds so easily is immense but watch out for the legitimate stuff!

In the afternoon, rather than get the machine out, I settled down with some hand sewing.  As I've mentioned before, I've 'inherited' some of Mum's clothes and the summer skirts are (were) just a bit too long so I've been shortening them.  Yesterday, I turned up the hem of one skirt which is now ready to wear and I also did the hem of the other skirt which needs a bit more work.  It was an unfinished dress but I discarded the top and turned the bottom into a skirt.  I just need to put some poppers down the front now.  Not buttons - apart from the fact that my button holes are not great, I find the bottom one always tears after a while, whereas poppers (the ones you 'click' on with a tool, not the sew on kind) work much better. 

Yesterday's sort out was simply moving some bits around.  I don't have a lot of hanging space and it's been a bit of a pain since I brought Mum's clothes home so instead of hanging up my jeans, I took them down, folded them and put them on a spare shelf which has relieved the crowding in the wardrobe a little bit
However, I have decided that somewhere down the track I will get my bedroom done out with fitted stuff, Sharps or similar or I gather John Lewis does fitted bedrooms too so I might go into town to take a look.  At the moment there's an awful lot of wasted space in my bedroom.  I guess that's the next big project now the bathroom is finished and, as with the bathroom, I will take my time and get exactly what I want.  I can save up while I take my time.

I have two things on the list for today's sort out.  The airing cupboard which is just untidy and the top of the bookshelves in Beth's workroom which has goodness knows what on them.  Beth could use the space for her stuff and at the moment it really is just wasted space.

The other thing on the list is 'feed the plants'.  Now that I have baby tomatoes, etc, I really should give them a weekly feed and I forgot last week so MUST do it today.  Can't starve the poor things!

Today was going to be a very busy day as I was accompanying Beth to a village fair where she was setting up her Kitty Stitches stall but not only had she got the day wrong, she had the month wrong too.  No, it wasn't last month, it is next, thank goodness.  I'm glad she realised yesterday rather then when we got there today.
She will still be over though as she has a nice order for making some bags and wants to get going with them.  I'll try and get a photo of them when they're finished.

Well, better stop wittering on and move on to other things.  Have a great day and enjoy the fine weather. xx


10 comments:

  1. lucky the wrong month was spotted before any work was done. the weather here is not so great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely!
      Maybe it will brighten up later on. Fingers crossed.
      xx

      Delete
  2. I didn't think about trying to make soy yoghurt so I'll be interested to hear what it tastes like please.

    So, how exciting to be moving on to planning a bedroom refit. Do you like doing the planning stage? I have to admit it's my favourite part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, it's fun to think about what I want. It's why it takes some time and then I might nopt get exactly what I want, it's a compromise between want and possibility. But it's good fun.
      What I don't like is the mess. :-)
      I'll let you know about the yogurt.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness! I thought I was bad about remembering things!

    It's nice that you're trying out recipes to accommodate your friend. Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had to laugh about it. She did do a search to see if there were any that had last minute vacancies, but no. We didn't weaste the time though!
      xx

      Delete
  4. Thank goodness Beth realised in plenty of time that she'd got the days muddled up.
    I'd love to hear how the yoghurt turns out. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was good. :-)
      I didn't try the straining yesterday after all but will give it a whirl today.
      xx

      Delete
  5. All your sorting puts me to shame! I keep thinking I'll do all my closet cleaning when it gets cold again and I can't go outside. I've been buying fat free Greek yogurt for a lot of Weight Watchers recipes, but it's a little pricey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nice ones certainly are. I'm afraid that's one of the things I am a bit casual about as my home made isn't really Greek, but too bad. I know what's in it and it's a lot purere than some commercial brands. :-)
      xx

      Delete