Thursday 20 June 2019

Thursday

Morning, everyone.  The sun is shining - woo hoo!  It might stay that way on and off too; BBC weather doesn't predict any rain for today which would be very nice.

I had a rummage in my fridge yesterday and realised that, for someone who will be at home all weekend, I was seriously low on veg, so any excuse for a trip to Aldi!  I was very well behaved and (almost) only got what was on my list, but did seize the opportunity to stock up with a couple of the Aberdeen Angus sirloin steaks which I will cut in half before freezing (they were on the list!).  Half is more than enough when battered out.
So I have plenty of veg to keep me going.  Nice.

The 'almost' is because they had some flat bed sheets on sale, the perfect colour for the backing on my quilts that Beth is going to make, 80% cotton with just a bit of poly to make them easier to iron, king sized and - well, just right.  So I bought two.  I thought king sized would be big enough and so it is!  They are now hanging out in the sunshine as I washed them overnight, and then they will be ready for Beth to use when she needs them.
It was one of those times when you just have to!

I feel neat and tidy now after Sharon's hair ministrations.  It's amazing the difference having my hair done can make to the way I feel.  It's just a cut and dry but it's such a treat to have someone finishing it off so professionally.

Governors' meeting went the way most of them do.  It's a good team with some very committed people who really want to 'serve' the school and there were some useful discussion and decisions. 

Today I have an empty diary until tuition late afternoon.  Then it's a quick freezer dinner before shooting off to pottery.  I missed last week because of the old back but that's pretty much better now with just the occasional twinge to remind me to be careful.  I shall be working on that bowl and I need to think of something else to start so will be pondering on that today between doing stuff.

It's a stay at home weekend coming up which makes me feel pretty relaxed.  I have in mind to get on with plenty of small scale sorting out/tidying up.  Nothing major but it makes a big difference.  I know it sounds a bit twee and pathetic, but I really enjoy opening the new cupboards in the bathroom and seeing everything tucked away, all nice and organised and out of sight. 

Well, better stop and get the day started.  I've already hung out the washing which is blowing merrily in a good breeze and I've picked today's strawberries for breakfast.  I reckon another coffee is just the ticket, followed by bath or shower, getting dressed and then - well, the sheets should be dry by then so the iron will appear.

I think today will be cheerful - I do hope yours is too.  xx

13 comments:

  1. I'm not venturing out for a while to pick strawberries, everywhere is so wet underfoot and the sun has only just broken through the clouds here at 20 past 8.
    Pondering on pottery sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you - I wouldn't if I had to walk over wet grass either!
      xx

      Delete
  2. I know what you men about the sheets in Aldi I bought two fitted singles which were just to cheap to turn down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem pretty good quality too, for the price I paid. Sometimes, after the first wash, sheets can go all thin and feeble, but these have some substance. It'll be interesting to see how they iron.
      xx

      Delete
  3. How are you getting on with your new smaller bath? I know what you mean about the tidy cupboards in the bathroom - I still get a buzz out of mine. I can now put all the spare loo rolls and toiletries out if sight and it makes such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wel, it's small so not as comfortable, but it's OK. I wanted small. Showering is nicer with a proper screen rather than curtains.
      xx

      Delete
  4. It's funny you should mention bedding. I've spent much of this morning trying to source some duvet covers for Lily. I've ordered one set from Ikea but the search continues.
    Home grown, fresh strawberries for breakfast sounds delicious. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing you a successful hunt. It can be hard to find exactly what you want.
      xx

      Delete
    2. Thank you. 100% cotton seems almost impossible. X

      Delete
    3. Have you tried John Lewis?
      xx

      Delete
    4. I'll take a look, thank you. X

      Delete
  5. I absolutely love, Joy, how you take pleasure in doing the ordinary things of life! It sounds like you have a very pleasant day ahead and I hope all goes well for you. So far, my day has consisted of helping my husband get several bags together to take to the disposal. Now that he has retired we are doing a very thorough "cleaning out" and giving many items away to Goodwill and then tossing things that aren't for give-away. The house is a bit of a mess right now as every room seems to be cluttered, but digging through things makes a bit of a mess as does bringing home things used during a 30 year teaching career!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, goodness, I so relate to that lsat sentence. I'm still finding teaching stuff and chucking it out.
      I think I am slowly learning to be more hard hearted about things.
      xx

      Delete