Friday 21 June 2019

Friday

Good morning and happy Midsummer's Day to us all.  Today is the longest day and the shortest night and from here on winter creeps towards us again.
BBC tells us that it's going to be light rain and a gentle breeze but it isn't, it's lovely and sunny!  Maybe it's lurking nearby, ready to pounce when washing goes out but right now I'll take the sun with gratitude!

Yesterday was indeed a cheerful day.  I got ironing done (and those sheets iron up very well so three cheers), did a wee bit of weeding but not enough, enjoyed tuition and whizzed happily off to pottery in the evening.  My last leaf coaster was done (bottom left)and I think I like it the best in shape and also in glaze.  It's weird; all four have been glazed with the same glaze but have come out so differently.  Lesson number 7,492 - things that belong together should be glazed together.  Never mind, they are nice and I will use them with pleasure although I still don't like the top right one as much as the others!  It doesn't mean I don't like it, it's just doesn't work as well and anyway, the stem broke off!


Only a couple of bits had dropped off the bowl and they didn't matter really.  I worked on it, smoothing and neatening front and back and Alex put it straight in the kiln to be fired.  Then I had to think of something that can be done pretty quickly as I only have two more sessions as I will be on holiday for the last session (I mis-timed things, silly me) and ended up using terracotta clay for the first time to make a simple, plain bowl that I will use as a bird bath/drinker thingy.  By working really fast, I managed to get it done and ready for firing too - it really is extremely simple with four holes around the edge  and no other decoration and I will use garden twine make a hanger using macrame and beads.  If it doesn't work with water (and I don't see why it shouldn't), then I can use it as another feeder instead.

So next week will be one long glazing session and as I have no idea what colours I want, I need to think fast.  I think the water bowl should be a pale green but the 'leaf' bowl (they really don't look like leaves any more) could be any colour really.  It won't hold anything like crisps, etc, as they would fall out at the side but it would work as a bread bowl, I think.  Maybe I should choose a colour that works with my china.

Really sorry, I forgot to take my camera - again.

And finally, I asked Alex when the next term's courses would be live and she thinks it is July 1st so I will be on the look out then.  'They' might give her another day course as they are proving very popular.  Beth wants to come along come the Autumn which will be really nice.

Today I have absolutely nowt in the diary, nothing at all.  Not even tuition.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do but I'm sure I will enjoy it.

To finish - a few more garden photos.

Baby tomatoes.














Cucumber potential.






















I'm so glad I bought this - it's ongoingly lovely!

12 comments:

  1. Love the coasters, the bird bath sounds like a lovely idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue. I'm really happy with them, despite the blips. I hope the bird bath works OK, it will be a bit different but I've rather fancied having a bird bath in the garden. I just hope the birds actually come alon.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Love the pottery Joy they look gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  3. The coaster have come out really well, sorry about the broken off stem but I think you did really well not to have more casualties. Clay is much more delicate than we think.

    I like the idea of the bird bath, the only suggestion I have is make sure it's easily removed for cleaning, birds really are messy and leave calling cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. It will be, it will have a loop at the top. Thanks.
      I didn't realise how fragile unfired clay was. It gives the impression that it's hard and tough but one wrong move and a bit comes away. I know now!

      I think I'm going on a bird food hunt today. Garden centre, here I come.
      xx

      Delete
  4. The coasters are lovely, well done! I like that you are planning to use the things you make and the bird bath is a great idea.

    As you plan to carry in with the pottery (and how lovely that Beth is interested in joining), maybe think about keeping an ideas book, filled with pictures from magazines etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was always the aim - to make things I will use. I started with the mousehog just to learn a technique but after that, everything is useable. I'm glad you like the coasters, thanks.
      We get given a work book when we start and some people use it for planning. I ought to!
      xx

      Delete
  5. I think those coasters are rather good. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The coasters are fabulous. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jules. They have been fun to make, that's for sure.
      xx

      Delete