Tuesday 5 February 2019

Tuesday

Good morning, everyone.  It's still wet, still mild and, once daylight comes, I am sure it will also be dull! 

Yesterday was a good day; it was very busy but there were times in between for 'reflection', aka sitting and snoozing a bit!

Smething a bit bitter sweet happened yesterday.  Some of you might remember that I am still officially on the school staffing.  It's as a supply teacher although I haven't been asked in to do supply for well over a year and wouldn't accept now if I was.  You quickly get out of touch with things.  Anyway, yesterday we (the head and I) decided to take me - will take me, anyway - off the school roll which will mean I'll be a comminity governor rather than a staff governor.  The only other thing that will change will be that I will be sent my P45!

So nothing really changes but, after so many years, I cannot help but feel a trickle of sadness even though it was my idea.  Don't feel sorry for me, it's only because I often hate endings, however small they are.

Thye day went well.  An easy, albeit splashy, journey home, time to do what I needed to do in the way of making up the guest room and getting a soup prepared, time for school and time for tuition.

Today is chock-a-block!  I quick trip to Morrisons before pottery, then J comes round for lunch (hence the soup) and after that we both meet up with a friend and pop on a coach to London to have dinner and see Phantom of the Opera.  So exciting.  J is staying overnight to avoid driving home late in the dark.

Well, it's time for coffee I think, and then I have to finish off the soup and do a quick tidy up before pottery.  It should be good today!

12 comments:

  1. Aww Joy, a bit of a wrench I know, sending hugs. Husband had a similar thing last year....his HGV/PSV licence was due for renewal and, having given it some thought, he decided not to renew....well, he is 68 now and the likelihood of him ever driving a lorry or coach again is remote. However, since he'd had those licences since the age of 21 and was a bus/coach/lorry driver for practically all his working life, it was a bit of a big thing for him to give them up.

    Your association with the school won't be ending though, so you'll still have all the enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a wrench but I seem to have recovered very quickly! :-) Maybe having a fantastic day yesterday helped considerably.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I did, thanks, Sue. It was brilliant.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, thanks, Diane.
      xx

      Delete
  4. I know exactly how you felt, it makes retirement official, at least you still have close contact with the school.
    Have a fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do - I would really hate to give that up.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Although expected, it must feel rather strange for you to no longer be on the school roll, however, they must be relieved to still have you on hand as a community governor. You have a wealth of knowledge and experience. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what people have said and I think it's true. I'm useless in the finance area but have some understanding of teaching, curriculum, assessment, etc.
      xx

      Delete
  6. I'm not familiar with all the terms you use - does this mean an official retirement? You will still be doing tuition though, right? I think tuition might be what we call tutoring here. Extra teaching for students who need help or maybe a different approach to learning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually retired (took my state pension/teachers' pension/etc three and a half years ago now but the school kept me on the official staff list and I did quite a bit of supply teaching (covering on an ad hoc basis if teaching staff were ill/on a course/unable to take their class) at first. That tailed off after a while, I've done none for over a year now and wouldn't accept if they did offer me some.
      The tuition is just a little personal thing - it's not directly connected with the school although my little band of students are all from that school. It can be for all sorts of things - just needing a bit of a helping hand, able and want to have a go at the 11+, a comparative weakness in one area such as maths or English or, yes, having some more significant difficulties. Nice and varied.
      xx

      Delete