Sunday 17 February 2019

Sunday

Good morning - very early!  I've woken wide awake so I'm doing what I always do and what 'they' say you shouldn't do but which works for me, and opening the technology.  As I'm not at home, I'm not going downstairs and won't bother with a coffee but I can feel myself getting a bit tired again so, hopefully, it will work soon!

Yesterday passed well.  I made a lovely big bowl of 'everything' soup which will be on the menu again today, did some washing and ironing, made some salmon fishcakes and sorted out this, that and the others as well as getting on with some knitting.

Mum really loves the fishcakes I make.  They're very simple.  I use mashed potato with butter and cooked salmon and I just form the resulting mix into patties which I flour, egg and crumb before open freezing.  Yesterday there were no eggs so I tried milk instead and that worked fine while the breadcrumbs were a mixture of fresh ones from the freezer, a zizzed piece of unwanted toast and some commercial breadcrumbs. 

It was a day for using up bits and bobs - the breadcrumbs, bits of veg in the soup and for dinner I found a small amount of sweet crumble topping in the freezer which went over some tinned mango to make an absolutely delicious dessert.  I only tasted it as I'm being a good girl and sticking with the SW plan but Mum and Dad polished the lot off with cream on top.  Most satisfying.

Today is likely to be more of the same, more or less.

The chunky yarn I got from Aldi is knitting up quite well.  It took me three goes to get the panel pattern correct which was a bit frustrating but I have it now.  Because it was so cheap, it's quite a 'thin', chunky and the jumper will be fairly 'soft' which is perfect for what is a sort of over-tunic type thing, quite long so I can wear it with my newly and bravely acquired leggings.

What I want to know is what do you do when the legs of the leggings are a bit too long?  And what do you team them with on your feet?  Advice would be most appreciated, please.  Someone, some fictional character, I think, can't remember who, once said while one doesn't mind appearing wicked, one doesn't want to seem ridiculous (or words to that effect) **.  I know what they meant!

I'm starting to feel tired again so I'll see if I can get back to sleep.  Have a good day.
xx

** Just thought - was it Miss Read talking about the Provincial Lady?


22 comments:

  1. Morning Joy, hope you managed to get back to sleep....I was up early too but didn't manage any more sleep (my back was making me uncomfortable in bed, no it's not really any better yet, thanks for asking on my blog). When I wear leggings I wear short winter boots and thick socks peeping out of the top of the boots in the winter, flip flops (decent ones, not the cheap beach type ones) in the summer. Can't help with the length, have you washed them yet? They might perhaps shrink a bit. Hope the tunic jumper turns out nice, I'm sure it will. I saw that yarn in Aldi, even stroked it! But managed to refrain from buying any!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have short boots (that I've never worn so maybe it's about time) and I bought some thicker socks the other day so I could do that! Yes, I have washed them but maybe if I dry them in the tumble dryer . . . ? At £2.50, it's not the end of the world if I do ruin them really, is it?

      How did you manage to refrain - you are obviously a much stronger charavter than I.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Glad you had a lovely day yesterday. Why don't you just turn the leggings over once or twice so they have a neat cuff. I do that with my cord leggings which are a little too long. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shirley, I'll give that a whirl and see. If I wear socks over, it wouldn't show anyway, would it?
      xx

      Delete
  3. I hope you managed to get back to sleep, Joy. Restless nights are not a lot of fun but I find some mindless Internet browsing helps to pass the time at least.
    Whenever I wear leggings, it is with a turic top and ballet flats. I can't help with the too long advice, however, as I usually have the opposite problem. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get back to sleep, thanks, Jules, and woke feeling much brighter. A great relief.
      I always wear flatties anyway - I cannot cope with much heel although, now I'm lighter, maybe I ought to try a slightly bigger heel.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Just told my friend via WhatsApp that she's a star for coping so well with MS and remaining so cheerful.
    You are a star too and reading between the lines I’m sure that you brighten your mum and dad up when you are with them.
    I love the picture of you adding wizzed up toast to the fish cakes, that's the sort of thing I do!
    Today is “fridge rubble”, (your delightful phrase), soup for us.
    As for the leggings question. I just tuck the ends into my socks as I always wear trousers over them and I’m quite tall.
    I used to take them under my feet but found that my toes suffered.
    You could experiment on a pair and run several lines of zigzag round the bottom where you need to shorten them and then cut but I’m not sure how that would look if you're wearing them on their own with a tunic. Good luck! Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. < blush > That's very kind of you, SUe, thanks.
      Waste not, want not is my motto and when Dad suggested throwing the toast out for the birds, I protested. They get spoilt enough as it is with special seed, scraps of fat and mealworms for the robins.
      My sewing macking does a stretchy stitch so I could do that - why didn't I think of that. I must be getting old! Many thanks.
      xx

      Delete
  5. I too woke early but decided to stay in bed which is unlike me but I did go back to sleep eventually. sorry I can be no help with the leggings I dont suppose turn-ups would look too good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be able to get straight back to sleep after a meander down the l;anding to the loo but not so much at the moment. It could be things on my mind, of course, or just One of Those Things. I did get back to sleep which was a relief.
      xx

      Delete
  6. My usual work 'uniform' is a tunic, leggings and boots in winter and flat shoes in summer. I don't have long legs at all and never had a problem with length but I'd do what Beachcomber suggests to shorten them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ali. I think I will try the tumble dryer first and, if that fails, get the sewing machine out! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  7. I've shortened leggings before, using the stretchy stitch on my sewing machine. I wear flats with them or sometime ankle boots and thick socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flatties or ankle books and thick socks seem to be the accepted way. Thanks, Eileen. Now I have to pluck up the courage . . .
      xx

      Delete
  8. I can relate to waking early. Hope you were able to get back to sleep. I, too, have lost enough weight that I’m giving the leggings a try. I’m now pretty comfortable with a longer slim top (tunic), leggings and boots. It took me awhile to get used to the short boots but I now have several and really like them. I’m slow to jump on the “trend train” but once on, I’m ready to go! Hope you enjoy your new look!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just like me. By the time I've accepted, it's moved on. No trend-setter here, unles it is recent-retro! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  9. I wear leggings a lot, usually with a long top or jumper. I nearly always wear them with flats. I have several pairs from M &S which were quite inexpensive (search for leather high cut ballerina pumps). Ankle boots with socks is another option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm knitting a longer tunic type top at the moment which should work well, I think. Thanks for your advice.
      I've looked up the shoes and see what you mean - and what a range of colours. Next time I'm in town I must take a look. I have quite a wide foot but increasingly am able to wear normal fittings as the weight drops off.
      xx

      Delete
  10. It seems to me most figures look good with leggings and a tunic length top, as long as the tunic skims over the behind and upper thighs. If people are comfortable with what they're wearing, far be it from me to judge but from what I see, neatness counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most certainly any top I wear would skim my middle expanse which is where the chubbiness is only just starting to give up! I doubt I could go out if I didn't feel neat so, for me, yes, it counts very much.
      xx

      Delete
  11. If you find the normal range too long try a petite version next time as they will have a shorter leg. I wear boots / ankle boots if I wear socks with them and trainers or flats without socks or with those trainer socks.
    I think you are right about the Miss Read quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could, thanks. Primark didn't have different lengths (I looked) but more expensive ranges should.
      Re Miss Read, I thinmk it was when she was going to talk about books and reading at an evening 'do' and wore a coloured scarf round her neck. My Willett said she was a 'Living doll', generating that typically forthright comment from her.
      I love the Miss Read books! It's so sad there will be no more.
      xx

      Delete