Wednesday 6 February 2019

Wednesday

Good morning everyone and welcome to a wet Wednesday.  Well, it started off wet but the skies seem to be clearing so you never know, we might get some more cheerful weather today!  Fingers crossed.

Yesterday proved to be an absolutely brilliant day so bear with me.  :-)

I was glad I got various things done on Monday, busy as it was, because there was no rush or panic yesterday.  I walked down to the shop early to get some cheese, crackers and grapes for when we got home - something I'd forgotten about on Monday.  Then I grabbed my pottery bag and set out.

The mousehog has been fired after glazing and I was pleased with the colours.  However, the colours had run around his eyes and he looked as if he had been crying which was a shame.  However, I gather I can sort of spot reglaze just around his eyes so I'll do that next week.  I asked why and it seems to be One Of Those Things although I wonder if I should have let one colour completely dry before adding the next.  No idea really but I have to say he looks a lot better with the glaze, even so!

Then on the the leaf which I covered in the oriental blue glaze I had chosen the week before.  Two coats and it took a lot longer than I had expected.  That's back in the kiln this week so next week we will see.  I so hope it comes out OK.

Then The tutor taught me how to do coiling.  Not as easy as it looks to get even coils and I have added another essential to my pottery bag - a ruler!  I started off a pot and squashed it up, started again and again, squashed it up.  The third attempt was better for having had the practise and that's now all wrapped up in cling film so it doesn't dry out and I will continue with it next week which gives me a week to consider what coil patterns I want.  It's (hopefully) going to be a cylindrical (as much as I can manage, anyway) pot with different patterns - a sort of sampler really - and, if it works, I might use it as a pencil pot.

Then I rushed home to change before J arrived.  We met up with L and got the coach, arriving at the theatre (Her Majesty's Theatre) in plenty of time for an explore and meal beforehand.  It was cold and damp so we went into the National Gallery and had a look round.  I spent ages in front of one of my favourite portraits, the Arnolfini Portrait.  There's so much to observe in it and the more you know, the more you see.  Prints simply aren't the same.  I have determined to go back there to spend more time there and in the National Portrait Gallery too.

We are in a restaurant over the road from the theatre.  The prices were a bit eye watering but, by going to the less expensive choices, denying ourselves wine and avoiding starters and desserts for which we'd have had no room anyway, we managed to just spend £20 each which isn't too bad.  It was an enjoyable experience - posh but not intimidating, really tasty food, excellent and attentive service and the loo was well worth a visit.  We all came back to the table smelling of the rather posh hand cream!

As for Phantom - well, what can I say that hasn't already been said elsewhere?  It was a delight and a thrill from start to finish.  Wonderful music, brilliant acting and the special effects - well, there are no words, there really aren't.  Whether one likes Lloyd-Webber's work or not (I do), there's no doubt that he's a genius at what he does.

After an easy journey home and a late night snack of coffee (decaf), cheese, crackers and grapes, we went to bed thoroughly happy.  It was all lovely, all day!

J's gone now as she had to be home early and me - I still have a soppy smile on my face from a thoroughly enjoyable time from start to finish!

Back to reality.  Today I have to pick up a parcel, finish some washing and drying, do some ironing and plan for a bit ot tuition.  Actually, quite and easy day for which I am very thankful.  There's plenty of recorded telly programmes to catch up on which will keep me going through the ironing!
And I MUST go onto the coach company site to see what other delights they are offering this year.

8 comments:

  1. The afternoon/evening sounds wonderful, I'm glad you had such a great time. I look forward to seeing pics of the mousehog and leaf....I hope the leaf comes out how you want it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sooze. My fingers remain crossed for the leaf - it would be great if it turned out nice.
      xx

      Delete
  2. I hope we see some photos of these creations! It sounds as though you're having a good time making them. The afternoon/evening out sounds wonderful! It's been a while since I've been to the theatre. It's such a lovely treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eventually, you will! :-)
      It was a real treat, yes. A super day all round.
      xx

      Delete
  3. That sounds like a lovely day. You must be pretty close to London to fit it all in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy - thanks for your explanation of your retirement/teaching status. Makes sense to me now! I loved the description of your wonderful - especially your mention of the loo!

    ReplyDelete