Sunday 1 March 2015

The breadline challenge.

This one was new to me when I came across it a few weeks ago via someones blog.  I'm familiar with 'Live Below the Line', the incredibly tough challenge to eat for five days on just £1 a day.  This will be the third year I have done it (if I do it this year) and, as things have gone up, it will be even harder than it was last year.

Anyway - the Breadline challenge.  The rationale is explained here, on the Breadline site.  Without going into unnecessary detail, basically it is the challenge to eat for £2.10 a day (and raise money as you do so).

The next fund raiser is next November so a fair way into the future right now.  However, it caught my attention.  £2.10 is a heck of a lot more than the £1 of LBTL and, with my enjoyment of cooking and current efforts to be frugal anyway, I reckon I could live quite well on that, especially when taken over months rather than just one week.

So - I shall take on the challenge.  Starting some time in April I will do my best to feed myself for £2.10 a day, that's £58.80 for a four week month.  Then I will see how it all goes.  It won't be a fund raiser at the moment, just an experiment.

I'm working out rules as well as using My Supermarket to compare prices, etc.  All jolly good fun, mainly, I suppose, because I don't HAVE to.  I hope it doesn't sound offensive to say that I think I shall enjoy the challenge - I know I have it easy and with a kitchen full of gadgets and a pretty simple lifestyle it shouldn't be too hard.

I also still have two freezers full of food and I shall have to find a way of incorporating what is in there without too much hassle.  Too much hassle would be a sticking point so it has to work smoothly for me.

Anyway - I think I am going to give it a go and I think Beth is joining me.  And in the meanwhile, eating out of the freezer continues.

Apologies for the waffle.  Sometime being able to think out loud is very helpful.


No comments:

Post a Comment