Sunday 30 December 2012

Sunday

Sunday already.  The start of the second half of the Christmas break and thoughts are, unfortunately, turning to planning, resources, future assessments and the like.  There's a fair bit of work to be done that wouldn't have been done last week anyway, 100% fit or not and it all takes much thought before I can sit down and produce the paper versions.

It's still quite breezy here but dry and hopefully it will stay that way.  Mind you, I haven't watched any weather forecasts recently so have no idea what's in the offing, weather-wise.  I doubt it's snow, but you never know with the weird and wonderful weather we seem to be getting nowadays!

I got the turkey hotpot and the lentil and chestnut soup made at last yesterday and I'm well pleased with both.
I suppose I shouldn't call it hotpot because it isn't, it's just a turkey soup/casserole, but that's what mum called it and the name has stuck.  Anyway, this is how I did it.
I peeled and cut into chunks two smallish onions, one leek, three medium carrots, two parsnips, one sweet potato, one ordinary potato and half a smallish swede (and a partridge in a pear tree!) and softened them all in butter in my large pan.  I then added all the turkey stock (and very good, tasty stock it was too), a bouquet garni, two bay leaves, a couple of handfuls of red lentils and some pepper.  It all simmered away for a while until the veg were soft and the lentils had mushed.  I finished it off by adding the drained contents of a tin of butter beans and the rest of the turkey (quite a lot) and simmered it all up again for about five minutes.  Most of it is now in the freezer but there's a bit in my breakfast bowl!  It's really delicious! 

The lentil and chestnut soup was just following a recipe and it also came out well.  Here's the recipe (I think I posted it before but here it is again).  http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/nigella-lawson/lentil-and-chestnut-soup-recipe


And that really is the end of the turkey!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment