Tuesday 31 October 2023

Tuesday, 31-10-12

Good morning, everyone.  I'm very bleary eyed this morning after a long time awake in the middle of the night followed by a sleep with a most vivid dream about getting on a bus in the wrong direction and having absolutely no idea where I was - it stayed off being a London black bus (I know - it was a dream) but quickly morphed into somewhere unknown.  Getting lost is one of my scary things - urgh!

Anyway - I'm awake now and downstairs, light is dawning and Tuesday has begun.  

This is what it's like now.  The skeleton (is that what it's called, I don't know?) is almost done although the front will take a while as it has bifold doors.

Here's where the side door to the shed part will be.  The freezer will go across to the left, some tall shelving across at the front, garden essentials will go on the shelving and any other essentials (like the mower and fold up chairs) will go on the floor.

I think they will be finishing the skeleton but how much more they will want to do before the predicted storm and very high winds come over Thursday night, I don't know.  I'm going to talk to Seth about it today.  I would rather a couple of days delay than the walls blowing away.
My garden is pretty sheltered but . . .





It was lovely going back to circuits again.  I miss it between blocks.  We had a new lady, the daughter of one of our existing group, and she brought her four month old baby along with her.  Oh, he was so, so cute and very happy (I was going to say 'good' but I don't think that's the right term at all).  Sociable too, smiling and pulling 'answering' faces when we coo-ed over him.

When I got home, I went online and ordered some boots from Cotton Traders.  Waterproof, walking-type boots.  They won't be amazing quality, I didn't pay enough for that, but I refuse to spend loads of money on things I won't use much.  I don't go on long, muddy treks, I just need them because the itinerary for the cruise says so.  Actually, I ordered two pairs because colour . . . you know . . . which is silly, of course, but I can send one pair back, can't I?   I also ordered a pair of thermal gloves from Amazon which can either be worn on their own or under other gloves and are OK when you want to use your hands for fiddly stuff (like taking a photo).  That's what the bumph says anyway!

M&S do both thermal underclothes and thermal socks which don't look too chunky so I'm off there at some point to take a look.

So now I have:  (checking the list)
wind and waterproof jacket (and a fold up mac to go over if necessary) - ✓
waterproof and windproof over-trousers (lent to me by Chris, two pairs which is enough because if they do get wet I can hand wash them and they will dry quickly) - ✓
thermal or woollen underwear - to get
warm socks - to get
warm, waterproof boots - on order
shoes with a non-slip sole (after sorting out my shoes, I already have several pairs) - ✓
warm hat - to get - I have warm hats but I want a Scandi one with ear flaps, just because . . .
scarf - ✓
gloves or mittens - ✓
ice grips (I presume they mean crampons - to get
walking sticks, if needed - ✓
sunglasses - ✓
lightweight, slip on shoes for indoor use - ✓
backpack (it says backpack, not rucksack) and I am assuming it is got things like sunglasses, sticks, camera, passport, money (if needed), slip on shoes, etc, etc, etc.  Things we need to take on the excursions, in fact - ✓
camera and tripod - to get
spare batteries, chargers, etc - already have or to get
binoculars - must look.  I have some, somewhere.  Otherwise, I will see if I can borrow some.
passport - ✓

So - thinking out loud - I have to get:
thermals, ice grips/crampons (good old Amazon has loads)

I want to get:
thermals; Scandi hat; camera, tripod and accessories; 

And I need to find my binoculars.

I've just highlighted and printed out the above.  😊

On to today and Chris and I are off to Groove first thing and a couple of hours later, Sharon is here to make sense of my hair.  In between times I will be making tea and coffee to keep the workers of the world happy.

And tonight is hallowe'en so I must make and print my sign to say no trick or treats but have a great evening.  I don't expect to have potential callers but there are children down the cul-de-sac again so may as well.  I'm not stingy, I just don't like the principle of it, that's all - that's a personal feeling, not a criticism of anyone else in any way whatsoever
To be fair, I've only been egged once (or, rather, my car has) and I know exactly who that was!  They did not get away with it!  Such a shame I knew where they lived, wasn't it?  < evil smile >

Well, I seem to have waffled on for a long time about not a lot and I need to shower, wash my hair and get ready for Groove so I will love you and leave you with hopes for  great Tuesday.  All the best.  xx


8 comments:

  1. The garden room looks to be coming along nicely. Just think, you'll soon be able to make good use of it and the slight upheaval will have been worthwhile.
    Wow! That's quite the list, although you seem very organised. I'm not sure if you already have some, but it might also be worthwhile packing some handwarmers. I find them a godsend when I'm out walking.
    I hope you don't get any unwanted callers this evening. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Diane mentioned them. Good point. < makes note on list >
      It is quite a list and I'm being very careful to buy as little 'one time use' stuff as I possibly can. The crampons are quite cheap really and you never know - we might get an icy spell again at some point.
      All the thermal stuff will help to cut gas/fuel bills in the future so that will help pay for them in the longer term.
      xx

      Delete
  2. I like the progress on the garden room - very promising.
    I bought a lot of thermal underwear from Marks and Sparks last year when it was so cold. It's really cosy and there are two weights to choose from - well, there were - I haven't looked this year. It got the seal of approval from the man of the house.
    x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are still two weights - which means more decisions. Which weight did you go for? xx

      Delete
  3. Quite the list you have there, but all part of the fun isn't it? Hopefully your skeleton garden room will stand up the storm.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've spoken to the guys and they have their 'plans'.
      Yes, all part of the fun and at least I will not need to buy any more of that sort of thing for years and years. xx

      Delete
  4. The framing for the garden room is coming along quickly. It is going to be absolutely lovely.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? They are working hard, it's impressive. Hoping everything is going well for you, Jackie. xx

      Delete