Sunday 1 October 2023

Sunday, 01-10-23 - long post alert!

Good morning, everyone, and welcome to October.  The month my first born turned up, the month of my Mum's birthday too, the month I usually have Christmas Cake day (but not this year!) in her memory.  I will have to think of something else instead this year.  Any ideas?

Yesterday morning was a pottery sort of morning, the afternoon was absolutely brilliant in a cosy, happy, friendly, productive sort of way and the evening was a Strictly marathon.

Sharon Blackman's afternoon folk art applique workshop was fab.  Suze, her friend (I'm awful, I've forgotten her name, isn't that bad!) and I all sat and stitched, cut, fitted, discussed, selected fabrics and generally thoroughly enjoyed ourselves in a quiet sort of way.  There was less guidance this time and, for a while, I had no idea what it was going to end up as but Suze noticed one of Sharon's needlecases, examined it and, basically, it was what we were doing but folded and added to and light dawned.  So mine and hers too, I think, will become very useful and well used creations.
Suze's friend crochets too and had brought along a lovely granny square cardigan which I absolutely coveted - I may have found my next project and, if so, I will be buying new yarn for it.

Some people (I suspect Sharon is one of them) are happy to start with an idea and see where it takes them as they work.  Me, I'm better knowing roughly what the final outcome will be and developing any ideas within that framework.  


This what I have come home with, with apologies for the bad light - I took the photos early this morning.  
I had started tacking the inside lining to the outside but have realised that I need to applique the front and back with whatever I am going to do, probably an Autumn leaf, seeing as it was an Autumn workshop.  I did um and ah about that owl but probably not.


Just a bit of detail.  I did a log cabin border but when I decided what it was going to be, I realised that wasn't really quite right, it should be more 'balanced'.  Not to worry, that's how you learn and I certainly am not going to undo it all, no way!
The lining/inside is nice - Sharon had made a pocket and I'm copying that.  Useful for little bits and bobs like a needle threader and, possibly, a thimble if it's not too bulky.  Also, possibly, little embroidery scissors, if they fit.

Sharon's holding another workshop before Christmas and I want to go prepared so I'm already pondering on what I would like to make/do.  Maybe a card, maybe a hanging, maybe a decoration of some kind.  You can take your own fabrics, if you like, and if I want to use beads, sequins, etc, for a bit of sparkle, I'll need to get them too.
Anyway - it was lovely and I'm sure Suze will agree.

I described Strictly as a marathon and, truly, in the early stages, that's what it feels like.  It would go faster if they cut a lot of the pre-dance preliminary stuff out; I tend to switch off when that's showing - even the rehearsal clips can be very artificial and don't show what I'd really like to see.  But it's entertainment, not that serious . . .

One other exciting (to me) thing yesterday - Ray, who organises the Broomfield coach tours, sent out the monthly newsletter and there were some new outings for next year, one of which was a group going to London to see 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child' at the Palace Theatre at the beginning of March.  After the disappointment of the Warner Brothers' World of Harry Potter cancellation, I jumped at it, fired an email straight off and when I got home after the workshop, there was a reply confirming my place.  It's not the cheapest thing in the world and I'll need to buy dinner between the two parts, but that's OK, it's a very good price, especially when you consider the coach cost is included.

Beth didn't need me to help with her washing.  She said Alex would be doing it - which is fair enough and quite right too.  Later on, I'm going over to hers and we will get all their stuff in my car, including her electric wheelchair, and then see if there's room for my luggage.  If not, then we will have to take two cars but we'd rather just go in the one car if it is possible.  I won't need much really, it's only four nights.

And while I'm on the subject, I found a YouTube clip (quite a long one with rather irritating music) that describes in some detail the kind of lodge we are having.  The one in the clip is beside the Spa and ours is next to the Waterfront apartments so much more central (which is brilliant) and I think they are also newer but they should be pretty much the same.  It does sound nice and, yes, ours has a sauna.  Ooooooh . . .
So, if you're interested . . .


I seem to have gone on and on and on so I will shut up now.  There's wifi in the lodges so I hope I'll be able to continue posting through the week although it might be a bit samey - 
morning: swim
afternoon: walk 
evening: sauna, dinner and chill with wine.
Such a hard life, eh?

Anyway, have a good day and enjoy all the nice things you have planned.  Take care and stay happy!  xx




21 comments:

  1. The Center Parcs itinerary sounds absolutely brilliant! Back 15 years or so ago, we used to go to CP every year, Elveden or Longleat mainly, we loved it. Obviously we didn't have Betty then, I know one can take dogs but we wouldn't, Betty gets anxious with lots of people around. Have a wonderful time xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One can, and it looks pretty dog-friendly really, but it can be crowded so very wise.
      I'm so looking forward to it. xx

      Delete
  2. It sounds like a busy but pleasant Saturday. I hope you enjoy your trip away. x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely day, thanks, Janice. xx

      Delete
  3. Your needlework is lovely, and the floral fabric is so pretty.
    I'm slightly envious of your Center Parcs trip. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much all ready now. It's going to be lovely, I am sure. xx

      Delete
  4. The Folk Art workshop was a really lovely relaxing afternoon and a pleasure to work alongside Joy again.. Sharon had some beautiful Liberty fabric for us to use for the boarders - too many to choose from! The three of us are certainly looking forward to the Christmas workshop and will be keeping our eyes open for ideas and embellishments.
    Suze x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming and I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. The work you brought was stunning. xx

      Delete
    2. Thank you Joy. It’s something that I enjoy doing. xx

      Delete
    3. It's great to have the opportunity, isn't it? xx

      Delete
  5. A0289Garrett87BF615 April 2024 at 01:43

    B5B22
    ----
    ----
    ----
    ----
    ----
    ----
    ----
    matadorbet
    ----

    ReplyDelete