Thursday 29 August 2019

Holiday: Figeac

I've finally got round to editing some more of my photos from my holiday in France so here we go.


We went into Figeac twice; once on the Friday to get Suzanne a change of clothes and again on the Saturday for the market and a proper look around.

Figeac is a fairly substantial town in the Lot Departement of the Mid-Pyrenees, so quite Mediterranean in many ways. It's sited on the River Célé and has a large number of old houses and other building that date back to the 13th to 16th centuries when it was an important trade centre plus a large market that is held every Saturday and which is extremely popular.

The market covers the main square and many of the little roads that branch off from there.  The stalls are amazing - lots of fruit, veg, cheese and olive based stalls with produce that looked of incredibly good standard.  I've never seen so many varieties of tomatoes all together in one place and if we'd been self-catering, I'd have bought plenty.  I just took a few photos of the market because there were so many people around.



I was sorely tempted, but the thought of trying to get it home unbroken was just too daunting.  Maybe I could have a go in pottery class?

We had lunch at a roadside cafe where some market stalls had been earlier.  We each had a croque monsieur, a beer and then a mini-coffee and it came to €14 which I thought was pretty good.



Suzanne checking her phone!


We had a good wander around.  

The 'Museum of Ecriture' in Figeac, in a modern redesign of a medieval building on Place Champollion, is a very interesting, and looks at writing across the centuries, including an explanation of how the writing on the Rosetta Stone was decoded. The museum is based in Figeac because it was the birth place of Francois Champollion, renowned for his work in deciphering Egyptian hieroglyphics - the museum is based in the house where he was born.


We didn't visit the museum but we did go down an alleyway to the side to the Place des Ecritures where there's a room sized model of the Rosetta stone set in a pretty courtyard.  Very impressive it was too.


We visited the second church in Figeac, the Church of Notre-Dame-de-Puy (Our Lady of Puy) which is set high up on a hill with fabulous views over Figeac.  It is very ornate, very colourful and yet has a peaceful feeling at the same time.



Outside the church, there's a stone 'map' showing the view over Figeac and naming some of the buildings and places.  




I took various other shots of interesting little buildings, etc.  I loved the narrow alleyways with towering stone houses on both sides and the rooftop open galleries/balconies which were a feature of many buildings.




There were lots of very old, 'stoned up' window and doorway arches.  We wondered if they were closed up for tax purposes.  Does anyone know?


I really loved Figeac.  It was so old, so interesting, had such a great vibe to it and that market was . . .  well, I just wish we had something similar round here.  We even got free parking for just a five minute walk into the centre.
Well worth a visit if you ever find yourself in southern-central France.










21 comments:

  1. That looks lovely Joy. I've only ever day tripped to Paris, Le Touquet, Calais and Lille, and a long weekend in Paris, so not complaining. However, whenever I see photos or programmes about France it looks so beautiful and interesting that I really must make it a place to have a proper holiday sometime. Lyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a longer journey, of course, involving a flight to Toulouse and then a drive, but it's a lovely part of our world in its own very peaceful way.
      I think it would be well worth seeing - the whole area, not just Figeac. The Célé valley is stunning in places.
      (and I've worked out how to do an accented e - yay)

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely place and it looks like there's lots of interest in the building as well. I'd love to see that huge Rosetta stone repro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was very impressive seen at that scale. Such a significant thing too.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous photos, the top one is an amazing view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was a lovely place altogether really. Wherever I looked, there was a view.
      xx

      Delete
  4. What lovely photos of a gorgeous place, some of the buildings are very medieval looking. I love the pottery in the market, I have a couple of French-type earthenware baking dishes which are favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very, very old, some of them.
      I so coveted some of that pottery but it wasn't to be. :-(
      xx

      Delete
  5. It looks lovely. Will you go back? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. Maybe, sometime. I'd like to, but not by myself.
      xx

      Delete
  6. Exquisite! You are so lucky to just be a hop, step and a jump from the Continent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was gorgeous. My photos really don't do it justice.
      xx

      Delete
  7. Looks like a really lovely place Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane. Packed with history - so many really old building, cobbled streets, narrow, sometimes twisty, unexpected turns and courtyards. It was delightful.
      xx

      Delete
  8. We never got down as far as Lot in France when we went - it would have been the next place on our list. I absolutely loved our Gite holidays over there - your pictures have brought back wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's lovely. It is a beautiful part of the world.
      xx

      Delete
  9. Looks like you had a lovely holiday Joy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a shame you didn't visit the museum! It's one of the best I've ever been to. You leave knowing less than you did when you arrived; it uproots all your thoughts about language.

      Delete
    2. I did, thanks, Rachel. It was great.

      Veronica, I know what you mean but maybe, if there's a next time, it will be on the list. It sounds brilliant. Is the information translated into English as well?
      xx

      Delete
    3. I honestly can't remember -- it was a good few years ago. But it's a fairly new museum and thinking about it, there are audio guides and I'm sure there'd be an option to have that in English

      Delete
  10. I have had this post open in a tab on my browser for a month, and have scrolled through the photos several times. But this Sunday evening was the first time I could sit and read all about them too. Thanks for taking me along on this little tour of Figeac. I had never even heard of it, and now I want to go there! There is something about the old stone buildings that causes me to believe life there is slower and more peaceful. That has lots of appeal in a world where I can't even get my blog reading done timely.

    ReplyDelete