Sunday 14 June 2020

Sunday

Good morning, everyone.  Around here, yesterday was just a really beautiful summer's day.  Warm, sunny, not humid at all.  Perfect bbq weather.
Today looks like being just the same - great!

Thank you for all the kind queries about that stupid shoulder.  It's stiff and a bit sore and I'm really glad I didn't do PT.  I'm umming and ahing about tomorrow's session but will make a decision tomorrow morning.

Yesterday, I took an early trip to the shops to get the last bits and bobs for later on after which I pottered gently around getting stuff ready and set up.  I always make sure I have separate utensils, etc, for Beth, being vegetarian, and it is worth it because she can be confident that things are fine for her and she doesn't have to bring a microwave ready meal with her in order to feel her food is safe.  She says so many people think it's OK to slap a veggie burger on the same grill as chicken or meat burger or to use the same brush and marinade for both, one after the other.

The little single person bbq bucket was perfect for her food and Alex and I used a bought instant bbq for ut sausages, burgers and chicken.  I always pre-cook chicken and sausages so they just need marinading, warming up and charring on the grill.  Burgers are fine, they always cook through.

Anyway, we had a great time and Beth and Al took most of the leftovers home with them so that was very helpful.

After clearing up (didn't take long), I settled to watch The Shows Must Go On performance for this week which was 'The Wiz'.  I've never seen it and I thought it was brilliant, very enjoyable indeed.  Looking forward to next week's one now, whatever it may be.

On to today and I intend to take things very easy.  It's a wonderfully bright start to the day and I've already been out and taken a few photos so show what's going on in the garden.
The flowers are looking decorative.

The clematis will soon be covered with flowers and while the later ones are still big, fat buds, the first ones are now fading and will seed soon.  I think clematis seeds are almost as attractive in their way as the flowers are.  It certainly brightens up a dark and otherwise boring corner.
The middle bed is a picture although I need to cut the geranium back as it's encroaching on the runner beans!!  We can't have that!

I don't know what these are but they're really very pretty and the actual blue is stunning.  It is a bit faded in the photo.



















And a few photos of the more productive side.
The biggest baby cucumber (gherkin really)is about an inch long now.
A very productive fence - or it will be in a month or so!
I wonder how long before the birds discover these.  There aren't many, just three clusters and the other blueberry hasn't produced anything at all this year. 

I think that I will prune them right down and see what comes up again.  That means no fruit next year but there ought to then be some the year after.  If not - in the bin and try something else.












So - today.
A gentle start, I think.  Breakfast in the garden and a proper pot of coffee before meeting Beth down the allotment later on.  I will be careful and not put any pressure on my shoulder but a bit of weeding won't hurt.  We're taking lunch down there so it will be very pleasant.  I haven't been down for several days so I bet the weeds will be a bit of a shock!

I might bbq my dinner again as it was so very pleasant yesterday.  Chicken kebabs sounds quite good, doesn't it, and I have some marinade left over from yesterday.

I do love these gentle, summer days.
xx




6 comments:

  1. I thought The Wiz was brilliant. I knew most of the music but am not sure how as I haven't seen it before.

    Your garden is looking so good. I like the blue flower so I hope one of your other friends can put a name to it.

    Sadly it's not barbecuing weather down here - too wet and too cold, but at least the garden is getting the water it needs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Has it been staged over here? Maybe not?
      It's a very pretty flower and Annabeth thinks it mught be an agapanthus. I'll ask around.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Looks like an agapanthus to me.

    We're meant to have a small family BBQ on Tuesday lunch as it is J's birthday, just the four of us so no problem distancing in the garden but now the weather forecast is rain!! Hey-ho, for now it says it will stop after midday so hopefully we can still proceed and have it a bit later in the afternoon. I want to try out new recipes for salsa and also ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm - it could be although the way the flowers are clustered doesn't look quite right. Thanks, Annabeth.
      xx

      Delete
  3. It was lovely of you to go to all that care to make sure the veggie food was cooked and kept separate, I'm sure it was very appreciated.

    Your flowers are gorgeous. As for the Blueberries, it was a bad year timing wise for pollination this year, lots of my flowers dropped off before the bees and bugs could pollinate them for me, so I'm having an almost blueberry-free year too. Another reason a Blueberry bush doesn't produce many fruits is age, they do only have productive lives for a few years. A hard pruning might help, but sometimes it's wisest just to buy a couple of new plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm used to it, Sue. Beth turned vegetarian when she was around ten so I've had many years to pick up all the tricks.

      That's informative about the blueberries, thank you. I will have a ponder.
      xx

      Delete