Monday 22 June 2020

Monday

Good morning!  The weather wasn't wonderful yesterday but it looks as if that's all over and a warm spell is now beginning.  I have the fans all ready at home and I guess it will be ho! for watering cans!

Dad and I found the mini cucumber lovely.  Fresh, crunchy and flavoursome.  Roll on the next one now!  Before I come again, I should have tasted a few broad beans and the first digging of our potatoes.  Exciting times.  On the other hand, Dad's tomatoes are way ahead and there are a few that are changing colour.

Also, his beetroots are looking good.  I pulled a few and, for the first time, made roasted beetroot as a veg for dinner.  You know what - they were absolutely lovely and I'm certainly making that again.

I managed to remember to ask Dad about the jigsaw folder thingy (once I had located it) and he was more than happy for me to have it.  He also pointed out that one of the shelves in the bedroom I use had old puzzles that Mum did many years ago that I could take, if I wanted to.  Added to that, inside the holder was a half finished puzzle, one of an aerial view of the house and surrounding area (with the photo as a guide, thank goodness), so I will see if I can finish that first - it will be rather bitter-sweet, I expect.  Mum loved her puzzles but the dementia stopped this, as it did many other things, so it was just left where she stopped.

So I have puzzles enough to see me through the next three or four years, I  expect!  Let's hope I enjoy doing them.  Some I will hand on afterwards but I don't think I could pass that half done one on.  There must be a way to 'preserve' a finished puzzle - I will investigate..

I'm also going home with other bits and bobs plus a Scrabble set.  Dad never uses it and each Christmas he and Mum faithfully brought it over so we could enjoy several games; last Christmas, Dad continued the tradition on his own.  Now it has a new home with me.
There are other games that Dad would like  me to go through as well so that's on the list for next time, as is finishing the weeding.

It's been a lovely weekend after three months of staying at home.

Today I will need to find homes for my new acquisitions, take a stroll around the estate (!), do the meal planning, start the shopping list and generally get the week going.  I have nothing specifically planned but there will be plenty to do, all the same.

Have a good day, a good week, and be very safe.  xx

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like the garden is coming on in leaps and bounds and you are now enjoying the fruits of your labours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely starting to, Diane. Evert year I get the same feeling of excitement!
      xx

      Delete
  2. You can get most jigsaws framed. We had the last jigsaw my father did framed so my mother could keep it. I think there is also a glue you can get which sets jigsaws in place but we didn't investigate that option. Frances

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, thanks for the info, Frances. I'd really like to preserve it some way, if I can.
      xx

      Delete
  3. There are lots of instructions on how to glue and preserve completed puzzles on the internet. Here's one but it may be best to look around to see what is available.

    https://www.puzzlewarehouse.com/how-to-glue-and-mount-a-puzzle/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm - there's quite a lot to it, isn't there? Thanks for the link, Eileen.
      xx

      Delete
    2. How sweet...your visit with your father, the puzzles, the memories of your mother...enjoy working them...remembering...

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Brenda. Yes, sweet memories indeed. xx

      Delete
  4. Must remember to spell check. I intended to say that cucumber is one of my favourite veggies. I could happily eat a small one just like an apple

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. < grin > I do that too, often!
      They are very refreshing on those hot days, aren't they?
      xx

      Delete