Wednesday 9 August 2023

Wednesday, 09-08-23

Morning, everyone.  We must have had some very heavy rain overnight as the garden is absolutely soaking at the moment.  I've just gone round the tomatoes, shaking as much excess moisture off them as I can - a little anti-blight trick my Dad told me about a long time ago.  Does it work?  Who knows; it is hard to prove a negative.
Anyway, it's been wet, it's cold (single digit temp) but the forecast for the next few days is really positive so that's cheering.

My lovely next door neighbours have just had all their fencing replaced and when I walked past the back gate yesterday I saw this.  What on earth??? 
Why cut a hole at the bottom of a brand new fence?  They don't have a cat and anyway, cats can jump.
And then I saw a Facebook post and all was made clear.  They have regular hedgehogs visiting each night and this is for them to continue to be able to get in.
What lovely neighbours.


My Little List worked wonders.
After Groove and breakfast, I started weeding and dead heading round the front and got pretty much all of it done before the first few raindrops fell.  When I realised, I quickly got out the mower and cut my little green patch of < cough > grass.  I didn't get any of the back done but that's on the list for today.

Sorting out the freezer is a job that doesn't require fine weather so I went to the shed and got that done too.  There's still a few items still in the front opening freezer, mostly bits and bobs I am working to use up but I am very hopeful that it will be sorted and empty by the end of this month.  It's only taken eight months, that's all!!  

As almost always, sorting out the kitchen didn't take much time at all, just a bit of putting away really.

Today, I have circuits at the studio and my Little List consists of finishing off the front (weeds between the slabs and a good old sweep up) before moving onto the back for more of the same.  
I have just added another item to the List - the blue room (guest room really) is a fair old mess and, while I don't think it will take all that long, it does need a good tidy up.  It's far too easy to just dump things on one of the beds rather than put them away properly.

Getting there . . .

The sun is shining now and I need to move on to social media stuff for a short time before starting the day.
Hoping your day is as useful and satisfying as I hope mine will be.  Stay safe.  xx

12 comments:

  1. The weeds between the slabs job is the worst. I think I need a new patio here to put a stop to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have not been so bad after I had the slabs properly cleaned but the recent rain has encouraged them again. It seems an endless job, doesn't it? xx

      Delete
  2. As soon as I saw the hole, I realised it must be for hedgehogs. Sadly, I haven't yet noticed any in my garden this year. Your neighbours are very kind. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're sharper than I was! :-) Yes, they are lovely. xx

      Delete
  3. It's good when people realise that little things can help wildlife. x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, yes, and they have encouraged their little hedgehogs for quite a while. xx

      Delete
  4. We have a hedgehog ( of course there may be more than one !) in our garden, and it's very welcome as we have huge slugs and plenty of snails too!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My neighbours video them - I think it's a motion activated camera they use. Very cute. xx

      Delete
  5. I didn't realize that hedgehogs were good for gardens! That's very interesting. That is also a neat trick you mentioned about shaking the water off tomato plants. I will remember that for the future. Have a great rest of your day, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they are - they feast on slugs and snails and other damaging nasties.
      It is neat, isn't it. Dad was convinced it helped to minimise the risk of blight. I always do it after rain or if there's been a heavy dew.
      xx

      Delete
  6. What sweet neighbours. Hmm, I might have to try the knocking off of excess moisture here.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky that all my neighbors in the cul de sac are lovely. Always willing to help out if they can.
      All it takes is a little shake, nothing very energetic!
      xx

      Delete