Wednesday 13 May 2020

Wednesday

The sun is out and shining merrily, the birds are singing melodically and, if it were a bit warmer, I'd have thrown the French windows open to catch the fresh air.  Sadly, right now, it's a wee bit too fresh for comfort so it can wait.
I think there might have been a little bit of frost on the cars again earlier but, as I slept until nearly six this morning (bliss), it was hard to tell.  The babies are all straining to get out into the fresh air, despite being turned regularly so I think we (Beth and I) will schedule tomorrow for a good old plant-out (appropriately distanced, of course - both we two and the plants).

I've definitely got loads of tomatoes now.  The striped tiger ones are an unknown quantity; I've googled and it could be one of several different kinds so I must be prepared to be surprised.  Anyway, they are really shooting up now and I'm afraid they will need little supports very soon which I don't actually have although I could saw a longer cane or two into shorter lengths I guess.  No, I won't, I've just remembered I have some willow canes that I brought home from a weaving course; I can use them.
The gardener's delights are a bit behind them because they were planted later but going great guns all the same.
And I am still waiting for the delivery of three small sungolds, not postiplugs, thank goodness, but in very small pots.  They should be more healthy (fingers crossed)

The SW Zoom meeting was really good.  Five of us this time, nice and lively.  I enjoyed it.  Then I had a vid-chat with Chris which was also great.

At the allotment yesterday, I was going to just water but decided to plant the runner beans as well.  This was in response to seeing the chap the next plot along but one planting out his little runner bean plants.  By the time they come through, everything will have warmed up again, so it should be OK.
Then I forked over where the baby corn is going so it's ready for Beth to plant out tomorrow and made sure there was a clean edge to that space with he spade.
Finally, I watered.  Everything looks pretty healthy but I'm aware that blackflies love broad beans so they will get zapped as soon as they dare show their faces on my beans!

After that, I just chilled really.  So it was a very pleasant day.

Three things make today special.
Jeff is over at eight thirty.  The garden's not bad but there are a lot of weeds between the slabs at the front so he'll get them sorted for me, bless him, and I need to talk to him about raised beds, etc.

Then, fingers crossed) Beth will be over to grab some things from her work room and also to enjoy a suitably distanced coffee and chat with her old Mum.  Can't wait for that!

Finally, it's half an hour of training with Lindsey.  Excellent!

I may or may not go down to the allotment after that.  I'll see how I feel.  I doubt it will need watering as everything is still pretty damp and Saturday is mowing and strimming day so I probably won't.  We're spending more time there tomorrow anyway.

So - it should be a really good day, fingers crossed.  Hoping you all have a good one too.  xx


12 comments:

  1. It's all coming together nicely for you! Be interesting to see whether your willow canes will sprout ... good to hear that garden centers are opening today..
    Off to the oldies hour shopping shortly ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they will be in long enough - although I might give that a go. They are pretty old, mind you.
      Enjoy the shopping!
      xx

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy you'll be seeing Beth today (not as happy as you, obviously!) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely thought. Thanks, Sooze.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Have a great day your plans for the allotment sound wonderful sadly mine is all covered in weed suppressing membrane but at least the greenhouse is planted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah - wonderful stuff, this weed suppressing membrane. Letting it lie fallow really won't hurt at all. you could call it part of the longer term plan! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  4. Your enthusiasm jumps out of the page! It sounds like you have a very full day planned and I hope you enjoy every minute of it, especially the catch up with Beth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going really well so far. Happy me!
      xx

      Delete
  5. We've definitely had frost the last couple of days - hopefully it will warm up a touch soon! Have a lovely visit with Beth 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the weekend it is expected to be warmer, according to the Beeb. Here's hoping!
      Thanks.
      xx

      Delete
  6. I thoroughly enjoy hearing about your allotment. Just think of all that lovely veg in a few months time. It was really cold this morning. The sunshine was a bit misleading but its looking better for the rest of the week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cherie. I know I'm going on about it a bit but it's that time of year!
      I agree about the sunshine and it didn't last long round here. Definitely a chilly day.
      xx

      Delete