Friday 22 May 2020

Friday

Good morning.  It's dull right now but there is a lovely fresh breeze blowing and I'm sure the sun will appear soon.  We didn't have any rain or thunder yesterday and it was quite a hot night so I kept the fan on for the first time this year and it helped tremendously.  It's cooler now and really pleasant.

Jeff turned up, bang on time, to collect the mower so that's now out of the way and gone to a good home.  Now it is just the rubbish for the bin and that's all wrapped in bin bags so not particularly in the way at all.

After he had gone, I set off for the newly discovered garden centre to hunt for plastic pots.  I had a lovely stroll around and some how, four perennials jumped into my trolley as I did so - a phlox candystripe, two campanulas and a delphinium.  They were four for a tenner and look in good condition so I think that's great value.  One of the campanulas is for the back and the other three are for the front.  I've been trying to get the front strip planted with perennials as they are far less of a hassle than bedding plants over the last few years, and I think that once they are in and taking, that's probably about it. 
However - no plastic pots of the kind I wanted.  I drove back through Writtle and on to another garden centre but, woe is me, that wasn't open until ten. 
Finally, I drove on further to the last garden centre my side of town and success!
They are all lovely places and I decided that I will pop back soon, just for the sheer pleasure of looking around.  The two I was able to go into both observed very strict distancing policies and the latter one had all the assistants in gloves and masks as well and distancing marks on the floor all over.  It must have taken someone ages and ages to get it all set out.

One disappointing thing.  Just before setting out for the allotment, I thought I'd check Facebook and I'm glad I did because there was a message from Beth saying she'd got the runs and, given that the loo facilities at the allotment are all closed at the moment, she'd better not go. 
So I went later, when it had cooled down a bit, to water and today I will mow and strim because we have arranged that tomorrow we will go and take a picnic.  She will take hers and I will take mine because we eat such very different things at the moment.
I understand, it was fine, but I was disappointed.

The rest of the day was spent in doing a couple of loads of washing and drying them on the line, a but of housework and, mostly, lazing around outside with book, cold drink and sunhat.  What a life!

Today, the first thing I'm doing is going to Morrisons.  It's usually quite empty at around quarter to eight and there's little or no queueing.  I have my list but I am sure there will be a few extra things in the trolley!

After personal training mid morning, I will pootle down to the allotment to mow and strim.  I* might do a bit of that weeding too and I could see there were some radishes ready for pulling.

The other task is to get that ironing done.  I didn't even start it yesterday so really must.   A shame there's no ALW tonight; that would distract nicely.  Never mind, I'm sure I will find something to entertain.
And that's it really.  Have a lovely day, everyone.  xx


7 comments:

  1. Good Morning Joy, I've just seen that ALW The Sound of Music will be available to view this evening xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's brilliant news, thank you. I thought the Shows must go on thing was just ALW but it seems not. I love The Sound of Music.
      xx

      Delete
  2. That's a good price for the four perennials. It sounds like you have some good garden centres in your area. The biggest one here has a reasonably good selection but unfortunately the plants are not the best quality.

    I hope Beth feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're really fortunate really. We do have a couple of 'popular' ones - what was Wyvale and a B&Q but we have some good independent ones as well. Plenty of choice.
      Thanks, Eileen. I hope so too.
      xx

      Delete
  3. I hope Beth is feeling better soon.
    There's a little more than a fresh breeze here, it's very windy and I'm just hoping my washing stays put on the line. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's feeling a lot better now, thanks (and thanks, Laurie as well).
      It's breezy here too but the sun is out and it's a really lovely day at the moment. The allotment was great!
      xx

      Delete
  4. They're very clever aren't they. How do they know when we are not looking?
    xx

    ReplyDelete