Saturday 16 May 2020

Saturday

Morning, everyone.
I had a bit of an early start, well before the sun, but it's catching up now and should soon be shining merrily.  As hoped, yesterday got warmer and warmer and by late afternoon the French windows were open.

I went shopping early morning.  They had flour (no SR though), they had hand gel (I was good and just got two), they had plenty of canned food and they had pasta!
I wonder what the next shortage will be!

Fortunately, the veg delivery and eggs arrived late morning so, when the cleaners arrived, I set off, first to Beth's to take over sugar, eggs, flour and vegetables and then back to the allotment.  I mowed and tried to strim but, after a few futile moments I realised something wasn't right.  Sure enough, the cutting thread was all used up.  It's a sort of cassette and I knew I was out of them so I made an order later and they should arrive Tuesday.

Our plot isn't too bad but I was disappointed because I wanted to strim around the next door plot.  It's run by a very nice elderly gentleman but it's in a right state at the moment.  A few years ago, when he took the plot over, he spent considerable time (and money) getting it looking nice and being productive so it's a bit worrying. 
Initially, we though maybe he was isolating (as he should be) but it is clear that it's last year's debris that hasn't been cleared.
Anyway, I thought that, if he did come back, it would be nice for him not to be faced with total ruin, so I wanted to do a bit of clearing, starting with strimming around to get some of those weeds down a bit.
I can do some next week when the replacement thread arrives.  Just a bit at a time is all that's needed really.

Once home, F and I tried to have our chat but the connection was so poor we gave up and rescheduled for this morning - the connection always seems better in the mornings.

The evening was devoted to Cats.  I enjoyed it very much - superb dancing, costumes/makeup and the words and music were fantastic.  Now wonder that, with the buzz of live performance and audience as well, it's such a success.  It lost some synchronisation towards the end - the sound and the vision were very out of sync and quite off putting for someone who subconsciously lip reads quite a lot, but never mind.

Plenty of flowers on the tayberry this year but will they convert into fruit  Who knows!

Today is planting out day, of course.  But before that, Faith and I will have a more successful chat before I pop off to the allotment with newly arrived battery powered tiller, suncream,
flask, mugs, fruit and camera in one hand and box of plants in t'other.

By the time we have finished, I'll probably rest up for the remains of the day.  I have reading, sewing, knitting, telly . . . I won't be bored, that's for sure.

Hoping we all have a great day.  xx

9 comments:

  1. Hope your plans go well for the allotment. Cloudy here at 7.15 - hopefully it moves away soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gone a bit cloudy here too but it's high clouds so nothing to worry about.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Glad you are keeping busy and now with any luck we will have some warm still days for the bees to do their work and make sure we have a bumper crop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a full day, hope your tayberries develop fully, our raspberries are full of flowers.. yes I thought when you went to Southwold we could have met for a coffee.
    Ah well this can't last for ever, can it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've rescheduled it for this time next year, Chris, so then, hopefully.
      xx

      Delete
  4. I loved Cats as well, just as much as when I saw it in the theatre years ago. I'm off to the theatre again tonight to watch the Royal Ballet perform Anastasia.

    Hope you have a wonderful day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks - and I hope you have a great theatre experience. xx

      Delete
  5. I think when it does, it will be a new kind of 'normal'. It'll not be the same as before but, as it becomes familiar, it will also become normal.
    xx

    ReplyDelete