Tuesday 4 February 2020

Tuesday

Good morning, everyone.

The drive home from Dad's was very light on traffic, nothing slow moving or particularly heavy in nature, and it would have been great except for the wet roads and low sun which created a rather disconcerting 'glare', in spite of sunglasses.  As I was driving into the sun on and off (more on than off) all the way, it was a bit of a pain but could have been worse. 

When home, I bustled around to get things sorted out, took in a couple of parcels for Beth that had been lodged behind the bin (as requested) and then fired off a message to Al (grandson) to ask him about a maths problem in a sheet I did with a student last week.  Neither of us could work out how to solve it although we did get an answer by accident.

I had to laugh - Al started off by using all sorts of shorthand I'd never come across and had to slow down considerably.  Bless him, he was very patient with his poor old (slightly) dycalculic mum but we got there in the end.  I was a bit miffed (not with Al, obviously) because the solution involved using simultaneous equations, something that hadn't crossed my mind as this was a Y6 paper and Y6 don't cover them in their curriculum.  It's an online site so I've fired off a question asking how they solve it without simultaneous equations!

Time flew while we were doing this so I was rather late for knitter knatter, darn it!

At tuition, we went through Al's solution and they got it but won't really retain it and I don't intend to cover the concept with them unless there's time towards the end of their sessions with me when I might just possibly light on it briefly as a 'do you remember when . . .' because I think they will enjoy it as maths is a favourite.

And that was the active part of the day over and done.  I walked home, got dinner ready and relaxed with my knitting and my kindle.  A very nice evening it was too.

Today starts off with SW group and ends with tuition and between the two I have housework, washing, ironing and a spot of gardening to be getting on with, weather permitting.
I am also expecting some parcels.  A book of 'skinny' actifry recipes (fingers crossed they really are low calorie and healthy or, at least, adaptable), some shea butter (for making lotion bars, more about that another time), a silicon mould and something else I can't recall right now and can't be bothered to look up!
It should be good.

And now I need to go up and wash my hair.  It should have been done yesterday but I decided to wait until I was home again and it feels yucky!  See you and have a good day!  xx

13 comments:

  1. It's that time of year when low sun really affects the eyes while driving isn't it. I find it hard on Wednesdays driving to Mum's as I'm driving into the rising sun all the way there and into the setting sun all the way back, and sunglasses seem to make everything darker and even more dangerous at this time of year, so it's visor up, visor down over and over.

    I'm impressed with your maths perseverance, maths has always been my nemesis. Words I'm fine with, indeed I love them, numbers elude me. It's weird as I have a brother who works for the Inland Revenue … so it's obviously not hereditary!! Maybe just lazy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be really tricky, I agree, especially when he road is wet as well. Definitely a time to be careful!
      I had promised T I would find a method and I'm glad I did, even if it was one he shouldn't have needed to apply. I enjoy numbers and the way the create patterns and sequences - at primary level. I am a bit dyscalculic though, genuinely, and have to be so careful.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Oh, how I could have done with your Al when I did, or rather scraped through, that OU math course ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex is wonderful when I have a maths problem. He explains really clearly and is so patient.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Maths was never my strongest subject so I too wish I'd had an Al to consult every time I hit that brick wall of understanding.

    I hope the actifry recipe book is filled with lots of good recipes. I'll be interested to see what you think as I don't use my actifry nearly enough and need to find some good recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad to have an Al. He's always so patient and willing to help, bless him. He's a star!
      xx

      Delete
  4. I got a maths O level but not sure how! Don't get blown around your garden in the wind - blimey it's rough here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is blowy, isn't it, and it feels so c-c-cold too. At least the washing should dry this time!
      I got O level too but was never that great with algebra and anyway, I've forgotten most of what I knew. It was a long time ago now, wasn't it?
      xx

      Delete
  5. Sounds like another busy day! I did okay at maths and managed an o'level but sometimes wished they had encouraged more practical application. I suppose they are teaching for further education but it does no good if the kids don't know how to count change or manage their bank accounts lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why the focus (at primary phase anyway) is now on application and 'reasoning' as well as calculations. I be;lieve they call it 'mastery'.
      This year's Y 6 are the first that have had the 'new' curriculum for all of their junior life so it should be passing through secondary soon.
      xx

      Delete
  6. They are, and they are worth the time they take up and the attention they need. That's the part of teaching I miss - the children.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't find "dyscalculic" in the dictionary but assume it means having trouble with calculations. Me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It comes from 'dyscalculia' and yes, it's like dyslexia but with numbers. It can create a range of difficulties and issues.
      Mine is very mild but I do have to be careful.
      xx

      Delete