Saturday 29 February 2020

Saturday

Good morning.

Well, spas have not so far been part of my life-experience/world but they are now and it was great!

This spa is set out in the country as part of a health and fitness 'resort' not too far from both Colchester and Malden (sort of coast!) and has acres and acres of ground set out as a gold course and woodland walks.

It has a gym room with lots of machines (which I didn't use this time), a rather nice pool (which I did), with pool-side recliners, a sociable seating area and the usual jacuzzi bubble thing, sauna, etc, two relaxation rooms, one of which is pretty dark and is for sleeping and the other a bit brighter where poeple can chatter plus a lot of treatment rooms, a shop and an eating area.  Also a grill, bars, a restaurant and lots and lots of space.

We arrived, went in, registered and there was coffee and 'pastries' waiting for us.  Then we grabbed a towelling robe, towel and slippers and changed (most people have swimwear underneath, I gather) before starting the fun.

It was all very laid back and slow, lots of chat and laughter.  I had a lovely swim in the pool and then a facial (VERY nice and part of the package) before lunch which was afternoon tea style, starting with a glass of bubbly (well, prosecco) and going on to sandwiches, cakes and tea or coffee.  I'm afraid Slimming World didn't get a look in but I really noticed the sugar hit, given that I don't usually have very much nowadays.

After lunch (which took about an hour and a half with all the chat and a raffle to draw), I went to the relaxation room and snuggled down with my kindle.  I may possibly have dropped off for a little while too, as did everyone else in the room! 

Yes, that is a bed in the relaxation room and no, I didn't as the sofas were very comfy.  I couldn't get a photo of the whole pool because there were people in shot but you get the idea.


The whole place had this piped going-nowhere soothing sort of music all flutes, pan pipes and harp, the sort of thing that you are aware of but that is totally non-intrusive and designed to relax and chill.

As a way to spend a soaking wet, pouring with rain day, I can thoroughly recommend it and I will be going back again at some point, maybe with an overnight stay which would give me two whole days of spa and a chance for a few walks too, weather permitting.

Once home, I was utterly shattered but, as is often the way, haven't slept all that well.  Too much going on in my head, I expect.  Tonight should be a different matter altogether!  I'll be at Dad's and we will have dined at the Millstream.
Talk about living the good life, eh?

The cost of the day had a £10 extra charge which was a donation to Kids Inspire and, with the raffle, we managed to raise over £500, which is great and makes one feel less guilty about all that self-indulgence.
Looking forward to the next Lindsey organised one now (booked for October)

Back to normal blog things tomorrow!  xx

10 comments:

  1. So pleased your spa day was a success. When I was working we used to organise a day in february each year when we knew we would be at our lowest and book a day at a spa on London which was wonderful but the journey home was difficult as all I wanted to do was fall into bed not fight my way through waterloo station.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's surprising how exhausting it is to relax!! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  2. My friend books herself in at Ragdale Hall when she is feeling the need to de-stress and relax. I've been to the Thermae Spa in Bath and had a hot stone treatment which was bliss. So glad you enjoyed your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen ads for Ragdale Hall - it looks really good.
      What's a hot stone treatment?
      xx

      Delete
    2. Here's a link which explains what it is

      https://mobile.thermaebathspa.com/treatment-prices/ourtreatments/details/hot-stones-spa-therapy/

      Delete
    3. Wow. Thank you so much!
      xx

      Delete
  3. That sounds wonderful. I have a sauna up at the cabin. It is such a luxury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds absolutely wonderful, lucky you.
      I didn't use the sauna and steam room, mainly because I don't know how. Next time, I must ask! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  4. You can't beat a bit of self indulgence, especially if it's for charity ;) It sounds like you enjoyed a wonderfully relaxing day. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did - I think we all did, judging by the comments all round, and it's jogged me to start swimming again as the weather gets warmer and more pleasant (it has to at some point)!
      I'm definitely going back there again!
      xx

      Delete