Saturday 6 January 2018

Saturday: The Twelfth Day of Christmas

Good morning, everyone.  How are things your way?  It was a funny old day yesterday - started off mild-ish and dull, then we had sunshine (just a bit) then cloud, bit of rain, bit of wind and it seemed to be getting colder.

This morning it's too early to say what it's like out there although the sky is clear and there's a bit of ground mist but have you noticed that the evenings are definitely getting later now and the mornings earlier - which is just how it should be, I know, but it gives me a little bubble of excitement inside.

Finally, we're on the last of the twelve Days of Christmas.  This is the third time the letter T has come up.  T for Turkey, T for Thermal slipper socks and finally T for Taking down the Tree and all the Twinkly Things.

Yes, it's now over.  I've enjoyed the food, I've taken great pleasure in family visits and shared feasts, I've loved the light and colour and warmth but now it's time to say goodbye to it all with the consolation that next year it will happen all over again as I build on my own tradition of decorating my home just so.
So in the next few days down come the baubles, off come the tree branches, the used candles go in the bin and the candle holders need to be cleaned up before being wrapped up and put away.  The nativity crib set will be lovingly dusted, polished, wrapped, bagged and gently placed in one of several plastic boxes alongside everything else and, one at a time, slowly and laboriously, I will lug the boxes back to the garage -  which is a lot easier than lifting them into the attic).

This year it's been a lovely Christmas, despite various difficulties.  I'm sorry to see it go.

T:   Turkey - dealing with the Christmas bird
W:  Winter Ware - using my Christmas plates
E:   Exercise and Energy - start to get moving over the new year
L:   Low-fat Living - the side effects of a very low fat diet
F:   Festive Fish - kedgeree or the like
T:   Thermal slipper-socks.  Warm feet, happy me!
H:   Have a Happy and Healthy New Year

N:   No-waste Nuts - the joy of sharing
I:    Iced Imbibations (is that actually a word?)
G:  Grape juice jelly - how to use up the leftover Schloer; some of it anyway!
H:   Home
T:   Taking down the Tree and all the Twinkly Things.




No comments:

Post a Comment