Wednesday 5 January 2022

Wednesday

 Good morning!  At last it feels proper wintry!  Frost and everything.  Yesterday it got colder and colder as the day progressed and by evening it was pretty close to zero.
It looks as if it's going to be pretty chilly through today too.  Brrrrrrrrr.

I was really pleased yesterday to get so much done.  I got all the Christmas decoration boxes down from upstairs and cleared them out, judging that if I hadn't needed or wanted it this year, it could go.  Then I started dismantling stuff and putting it all away.  Nativities are now away, as are all the candles, wreaths etc apart from the one on the front door which can stay until Thursday, the bunting is down and the Guardians and the knitted toys are away or where they should be.

I've just changed the cushions over and the Christmas tree will get sorted out tomorrow.

It's all looking a bit messy at the moment.  The tops of the sideboards, etc, are looking neat, tidy and clean but the table is full of clutter and as for the blue room, where all the Christmas fabrics go, it's a right tip.  However, I need to give the room a good sort out this and next week so that's fine.

In case you're wondering, I did my squats yesterday (the kettle beat me) and I did a couple of other sessions (fifteen of each, not twenty five) as I was waiting for something to cook.  I also tried my playlist and managed half before I decided to stop.  I thought I might be aching today but I'm not, not at all.

Yesterday's Twelve Days pressie was another reed diffuser.  Honestly, anyone would think my house is really smelly!  I've put it away for now because it's really more a summer fragrance - cherry (whether fruit or blossom, I have no idea).  Just two more to go now.
I've just opened todays, earlier than usual.  It's a Yardley's spray perfume - English Rose.  Another for the summer months.
One more to go!

I had a bit of a disaster yesterday though.  Half way round Morrisons, my left hearing aid packed up - it just stopped and refused to restart.  I recharged it overnight and tried it this morning but no - dead as a doornail.  I'm hoping it is one of the connections rather than the actual aid.  The former can be repaired in the shop, the latter means it will need to be sent away and lord only knows how long it will take in the current situation..  I had my spares with me but the one I am using now is not very good; it is refusing to connect to the mini loop for the TV and the sound quality is dreadful, all muffled and fuzzy.  I have decided I'm getting another pair so I have decent spares. I can afford it and they do contribute hugely to my well being.  I could be weeks with this less than satisfactory aid seeing how long the last one took to come back.
I will have to go into town this morning to get an appointment as I can't phone and I might just do a little trawl around seeing as I am there.

So today starts with town, segues into Lindsey's personal training and then it's more clearing and sorting out.  A busy day but a very satisfying one - I hope the hearing aid thing is satisfying anyway.  I'm being positive!

Have a great day and stay safe and warm.  Cherie, I hope you are feeling OK.  xx



24 comments:

  1. Morning Joy, pity about the hearing aid. I have NHS ones but gave up wearing them because they just didn't seem to help me at all, hindered if anything. All mine seemed to do was magnify background sounds, which I found terribly distracting to the point where I had even more difficulty hearing people speak. And the batteries run out so quickly! I am having more trouble hearing speech now though, so I guess I need another hearing test. Have a good and positive day! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had NHS hearing aids right at the start of my hearing aid journey, in my twenties and they were no better then. They made everything noisy and gave me the most awful headaches. Fortunately, we were in a position where we could go private and I've stayed private ever since.
      The batteries do run out but you can get rechargeable batteries on the NHS, I gather - you send off the used ones and get recharged ones back. I've never used that though.
      Nowadays the aids themselves are rechargeable and the change lasts for well over twenty four hours. No more worrying about whether you have spare batteries with you.
      xx

      Delete
  2. It does feel like winter now. I hope you can get your hearing aid fixed quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it really does.
      So do I - I am most disabled without hearing help. Thanks, Belinda.
      xx

      Delete
  3. How frustrating about the hearing aids - hope you get sorted ASAP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just about to leave. Fingers crossed! xx

      Delete
  4. I didn't know you wore a hearing aid. I hope you can get it fixed or replaced quickly. I need to put away all of my decorations, too. I usually do that on January 2nd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two, in fact. My hearing is really not good. I'm extremely thankful for my hearing aids
      I like to take the tree down on the 6th and the rest just before. I'm going to miss those twinkly lights.
      xx

      Delete
  5. I hope you can get your hearing aids fixed easily and yes, a new spare set sounds like a really good idea. It's dreadful when you can't hear properly isn't it, it makes you feel so cut off from everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is dreadful, yes. I appreciate the technology that helps me so very much.
      I'm very fortunate to be in that position where I can.
      xx

      Delete
  6. Oh how frustrating for you. I hope you can get the hearing aids fixed quickly. How long will it take for a new spare set to be ready for you?

    It's registering as 4ºC here today, which is too cold for comfort. Thankfully I have an excuse to stay in the warm as I'm still waiting for a parcel to arrive! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. The answer is I don't know. It partly depends if they can use my most recent audiogram or whether they will want to take new readings and also how much the whole order/make/delivery process is affected by Covid/Brexit.
      I'm really hoping that the broken one can be repaired on the spot - if so, I don't mind waiting a bit. We will see.
      xx

      Delete
  7. Thanks Joy. I'm not great but I've had worse colds. My PCR went off in the post this afternoon and I should have the results back in a few days... Not that it will tell me anything I don't already know. Seems a pointless exercise really and a waste of tax payers money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read today that they are stopping the PCR testing for that very reason.
      Take care and I hope you start feeling a lot better soon.
      xx

      Delete
  8. It has gone cold all of a sudden here and the polar winds are back. I expect it is snowing up in the mountains. I usually put away Christmas decorations on the 6th too but this year that chore is minimal as I was house sitting and away from home. It must be quite an impediment not having your hearing aid in working order. Do hope they can fix it for you straight away. Take care Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you don't have an awful lot to do tomorrow.
      It is a bit of a nuisance although my brain has sort of 'tuned in' to the old aid now and it's been better today, thankfully.
      xx

      Delete
  9. Really sorry that your hearing aid broke. Can only imagine how scary that might be for you. Hope that you were able to get it repaired today. Definitely agree a spare pair is a good use of funds (...a lot of funds). Hearing aids are horrifically expensive in the US. Not covered by any insurance. Imagine private ones in UK are the same. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are costly. You can get them on the NHS but my experience is that they are not very good.
      Thank you for your understanding.
      xx

      Delete
  10. I hope you are able to get your hearing aid fixed quickly. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no! I hope the hearing aid fix is the easier one.

    Sounds like you got a lot done! We didn't put up a lot of Christmas things so there wasn't a lot to take down lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I did - I now have to find space to put them all away but I am doing a sort out of the blue room so there will be space.
      xx

      Delete
  12. I am sorry about your hearing aid. I hope it is something that can be easily rectified.
    Well done on getting the decorations sorted. I'm sure it took me twice as long to clear everything away than it did to decorate in the first place. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been, thanks - see tomorrow's blog! :-)

      They do seem to take ages, don't they? I'm doing a clear-out at the same time so it's a bit chaotic on the surface but underlying everything i9t is organised. Honest! :-)
      xx

      Delete