Tuesday 29 September 2020

Tuesday

 Good morning.  I wonder if this 'handwriting' style font is clearer than the cursive type ones.  Italic style generally is clear and easy to read although, for me, you have to go a long way to beat the Nelson handwriting font.  However, that's one you have to buy so never find it on a list of free fonts.
I'll stop exploring soon - most of the available fonts are either (to me) pretentious, dull or a bit ugly - but beauty is in the eye of the beholder so that's a very personal perspective, isn't it?

Yesterday turned out to be a glorious day.  The sun gradually emerged and it warmed up significantly.  I went into town wearing layered tops and my duffle coat but by the time I got home, I was feeling warm and glad to take the coat off.  Jeff clearly enjoyed working in sunshine again as he made my garden look neat and tidy.  It's a bit of a Forth Bridge job at the moment with the leaves starting to fall but if we keep on top of it, him and me, it won't get too bad.

I got into town just before nine, a good time to arrive as there's not many people about and loads of parking spaces.  Lakeland was closed until nine thirty so I went past it and on to look for my vitamins.  
I'm not jumping on the bandwagon here, I have taken vitamin D for quite a time now and also magnesium after it was strongly recommended to me.  However, recent events (!) have highlighted that some 
supplements could play a part in making one less vulnerable to viruses and where I have been able to get what I needed in Morrisons in the past, not they are usually sold out.  I went to Boots, Supersomething and Holland and Barratt and ended up getting more than usual of each so I don't have to search again for a while.

Then it was on to M&S where I found what I was looking for - a pack of two pairs of leggings, one pair black and the other pair navy.  They also had a wide selection of jeggings and I got a purple pair (not as lurid as it sounds) too.  I decided to not bother with Primark - I can go another time.

By that time, Lakeland had been open for a while so I went there and, darn it, they didn't have the baggie ties I really needed - that's pretty much the first time I haven't got what I needed there.  However, I did find a small saucepan, the perfect size to replace the one I had to chuck.  More expensive than I had planned but great quality and it should last well.  Then I was naughty (yes, Eileen, I was!) and saw a display of Lekue (imaging acute accents on each e) microwave grills.  I've had my eye on one for ages but thought that it was just a bit too big for my microwave which is pretty small.  They seem to have more sizes now and the smallest one looked about right so I'm afraid I fell good and hard.
Here's a Lakeland/YouTube video that demonstrates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx8a--9pGvM

I will have to build some toasties into my meals, won't I?

I went back through a precinct and wandered off into Roman - which was a big mistake or a lucky accident, depending on your point of view.
Suffice it to say I ended up with this really lovely dark navy long shirt with silver stars over - perfect for Christmas although I will have to get or make a vest type top to go under it as it's a bit gauzy, a long jumper (to go with those leggings!) and a couple of pairs of their cropped jeggings which I love so much and which were on sale.  I wear the last a lot in warmer months so they will definitely get used.





So, really, that trip was either a triumph or a disaster, depending on your point of view!  It was fun though.

When I got home, there were a few Amazon orders on the doorstep.  The best was the plastic pudding basins I ordered.  Now I am ready to make those Christmas puddings!

The rest of the day was pleasant, tuition was great and it was all generally very satisfying although I went to bed thanking my lucky stars I had received a refund from the pensions people not long ago!

Today is another gentle day.  Nothing scheduled until Aquacise at twelve and then a tuition session later.  I should get plenty done at home, I think, which would be good.

Better get started then - I'll write up yesterday's tuition notes and plan the next session and then get going in the kitchen.
Have a wonderful day, whatever your plans are.  xx

16 comments:

  1. Hey Big Spender!!

    That top looks lovely and all your purchases sound very useful.

    On my one visit to Lakeland a few weeks ago, they seemed to have lots of empty shelves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - it did feel a bit like that!
      I don't think I wasted any money, just didn't buy only what was strictly speaking necessary.
      They were very short on poly bags, I noticed that, because that's where the baggies are. It made me glad I have a plentiful supply and am trying to reuse as much as I possibly can.
      xx

      Delete
  2. I was not hopeful yesterday morning it was very dull here but we too had a glorious afternoon. Love the shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      It's drizzling here at the moment but is expected to clear up - fingers crossed.
      xx

      Delete
  3. A triumph of a day! My most successful purchases are always the ones I wasn't looking for at the time. Love that starry nights shirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is lovely and long enough for leggings, etc, although it doesn't look so in the photo. I'm so pleased I have one smart top - I will take it with me next week, for dinners.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Looks like a successful haul! I love the top you've chosen. I'm not familiar with Roman products so have been online to have a look and am liking the selection, but maybe for next year now.

    The Lèkuè selection from Lakeland is even more tempting. I love toasted sandwiches but rarely bother because they're not the simplest thing to cook in a tiny kitchen when you have to leave the oven door open to use the grill. I'll wait to hear how you get on with it.

    Liking this font!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only recently discovered Roman and it was initially online. I didn't realise they had a shop in town so when I walked past it the first time I was delighted, as you can imagine. I really like their things - well, quite a lot of them, anyway!
      I will let you know. I have planned a 'breakfast toastie' (bacon and cheese) tomorrow morning and I'll go from there on and try other things. It is almost a shame I am going away really! Almost but not quite.
      xx

      Delete
  5. What a satisfying day! I like the top. Oh, I like this font too. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's attractive, isn't it? Font and top. The more I look at the top, the more pleased I am that I walked into that shop!
      xx

      Delete
  6. Sounds like your purchases are wonderful, Joy! I wish I felt more comfortable going into clothes stores right now but our numbers are still quite high here in the US so I mainly keep to food stores and drugstores. But, I have ordered two pretty tops online from JC Penny and am eagerly awaiting their arrival! I have looked up some Slimming World sites to see recipes and meal plans. It looks interesting. Hope you have a wonderful gentle day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SW is interesting although, like any system/strategy, it has its silly side - I think it's silly anyway and I haven't been backward about saying so on t'other blog. A good dollop of common sense helps a lot! :-)
      Numbers are going up in the UK but round here they are low so, mask to the fore and keeping an eye open for anyone too close, I felt pretty safe really.
      xx

      Delete
  7. I watched the video of the microwave grill - I definitely want one! Let us know how it works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will - I plan to use it this morning although first go is not necessarily a fair test. I will be trying it several ways before making a proper evaluation. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  8. The top is lovely, perfect for Christmas.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. Thanks. ALso it should do as a 'slightly smarter than jeans' look for dinners next week over leggings or my smarter but slightly baggy trousers.
      xx

      Delete