Sunday 6 September 2020

Sunday

Good morning, everyone.

 I'm having a peaceful weekend here at my Dad's. 

Several years ago, Mum wrote several 'chapters' on what life was like for her as a child which we in the family greatly enjoyed.
Then Dad wrote an article for the local garden and allotment association newsletter about his childhood experiences learning to produce fruit and veg under the guidance of his grandad.  That was also of great interest and, I gather, well received.

Recently, Dad collected these together and added to them to create a 'family book' about the background to our family and about their life and times.  He's almost finished it now (it's not proper book length) and has asked me to proof read it through.

So that's what I've been doing this weekend.  It's harder than it sounds; I am finding it all so interesting that I keep forgetting I need to be editing it!  I don't think I'm just saying it because it's Mum and Dad's work but I've always enjoyed reading social history and this is absolutely fascinating, all about people I remember with affection.
It's a coincidence that I've just finished Flora Thompson's Lark Rise to Candleford trilogy and have just downloaded  Still Glides the Stream which re a similar genre. 
So at the moment I'm soaking happily in social history and loving it!

I'm hoping I will get it finished for Dad this weekend although he has thought of things that he wants to add.  I suppose it's like that when it is so personal.

So that's me today.  xx

15 comments:

  1. Oh that sounds absolutely lovely, Joy. I wish our mum had done something like that, when it came to arranging her funeral eulogy we siblings realised there was so much we didn't know about her early life. Enjoy the memories and finding out things you didn't know! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is lovely and I'm thinking of doing something similar although my memories are pretty fragmented really. Maybe that is true for everyone.
      I'm looking forward to today's 'work'
      xx

      Delete
  2. That's a brilliant idea and one future generations will really enjoy reading. I think our blogs will be a lasting legacy as long as Blogger doesn't disappear and we lose it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good point. I never thought of Blogger like that but yes, it is a social history document in the making, isn't it, as is much social media?
      xx

      Delete
  3. How lovely, what a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so enjoying reading all about my family.
      xx

      Delete
  4. What a smashing idea. I wish I had had more information about my grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean and it really is so interesting.
      Dad's upstairs, busily editing.
      xx

      Delete
  5. I wish we had something like this in our family. What a wonderful treasure for you and future generations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, isn't it. We're very fortunate.
      xx

      Delete
  6. That is wonderful, something to keep and pass down. I think it is so important that our history isn't lost. Tell your Dad I think it is marvelous that he is doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's wonderful! I sure wish my parents and grandparents would have done things like that. I even bought my mother a book that had prompts to get her started but I found the book still empty after she passed away. What a beautiful treasure you will have. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Martha.
      The more I read everyone's comments, the more I realise how lucky I am to have this treasure and the more I think I need to do something similar to add to it.
      xx

      Delete
  8. I know. We're very lucky to have something that will keep memories alive.
    xx

    ReplyDelete