Tuesday 22 September 2020

Tuesday

 Good morning, everyone.  Today's font is called Margarine and I think it's rather nice, although the name could be nicer.
(and thanks to Sue for the fonts info - I didn't know there were so many available fonts now)

The journey home from Dad's yesterday was fine.  A bit slow with lots of road works and traffic lights but nothing too bad.  Just one idiot who overtook an oncoming lorry, forcing me to brake rather suddenly.  He made it but if I hadn't slowed . . .
The lorry driver just shook his head - I suppose he sees a lot of terrible driving!

I stopped off at the allotment and picked a load of beans and tomatoes plus a few courgettes.  The tomatoes are getting blighted now, all over the allotment site, not just in my patch, so I need to deal with ours fairly soon.  The courgettes are small because this year, if we leave them, they rot from the blossom end.


Then I arrived home and got these from the garden.  I know some are a bit green but they will ripen in a few days (a few already have) and I feel it's a bit of a race against time now so I get them in early!


I did mean to plant the crocus bulbs Eileen so generously sent me, but by the time I had sorted everything out, dealt with the garden produce and the bags of shopping I got in Tesco's on Sunday, had breakfast and lunch and sorted out dinner and looked over my planning, it was pretty much time to set off for the tuition session.  It won't get done today either but there's bags of time so no panic.

I was looking online for some freezer baskets.  Once I get my over abundance of freezer food sorted out, it would help to keep the chest freezer in order if I had a few more baskets.  I searched and searched and found plenty but they were possibly just marginally too big to fit.  The freezer is a Bosch and the official replacement baskets cost an eye watering £105 each.  Not. A. Chance.
I think what I will do is order one of the baskets that are possibly a bit too big and just see.  After all, we are talking mms here not inches.  Amazon is pretty good for returns.

But £105!!!!!!!  Blimey!

Today is busy again.  I've started it off by making a soup like the one I made for Dad on Saturday.  Thermione is loaded with leek, carrot, sweet potato and a shedload of tomatoes, simmering away nicely and making the house smell great.  I've also added chicken stock, seasonings, fine herbs, tomato puree and garlic puree.  Once everything is soft, I will blend it and push it through the mouli to get rid of the tomato seeds.  The main reasons are that I have so many tomatoes to use up and that Jackie is coming over for lunch on Thursday.  I think things like this improve as the flavour develops so it should be good by Thursday.  I'm also hoping there will be a few portions left over for colder winter lunches!

At ten, Chris is popping over for coffee and a catch up before I whizz off to the gym for aqua.  Then it's shower, dry hair, check planning and my two students will arrive.  All go today so I'm very glad the day has started early when I can just ponder and potter and generally get things organised for the day.

I say it's a busy day but it's all self chosen stuff, none of it has been imposed on me in any way so no complaints.  What do you have planned for today?  Whatever it is, fingers crossed it's good and goes well.  Take care and stay safe.  xx



16 comments:

  1. I use old canvas bags in my freezer. They are sturdy, and boxy enough when full, and the handles make them easy to move. Even brand new ones would be cheaper!
    What brand/size of wraps do you buy?
    Take care. Ann T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good idea - thank you.
      Do you mean the bready type wraps. I try to get the weight watchers ones because they are a healthy extra B on Slimming World, but really it's whatever comes to hand. :-)
      xx

      Delete
    2. The supermarkets sturdy 'one up from bags for life' bags are brilliant to have in the freezer. Usually you can get them in different colours or patterns too so you would be able to differentiate between meat, fruit, veg etc. The ones in Aldi actually have pictures of food on them.

      Delete
    3. I need to open my eyes! :-)
      Thanks. xx

      Delete
  2. Thanks Joy. I like wraps but when I was a SWorld member last year, they were not in the lists. I gave up going to class, as I am severely deaf, with a cochlear implant, and have the need to lipread/see people’s faces. The discussion part of the meeting was incredibly frustrating, as I could just about follow the leader, with careful chair positioning, but never heard any of the members comments or suggestions. Several years ago, I was an online member, and learnt all the rules there, but it was lonely. So I have the basics, but no way to access the warmth and friendship of a group. And then there were face masks.............
    I enjoy your blogs. Ann T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of understand. I have a hearing impairment too and find meetings challenging. Jennifer (consultant) wears a visor which helps but the rest of the conversation is a closed book.
      I'm on the social team which brings its own challenges, but at least everyone gets to know me and my issues. I won't say they all understand but the great majority do. It helps emotionally.
      Have you found my other blog, Frugal(ish) on Slimming World?
      xx

      Delete
    2. Yes, this where I found out that wraps are now allowed. I am always interested in what you have, and I would like to congratulate you on getting to target. I need to get back to SW basics, (and I need my husband to stop baking bread, but haven’t the heart to tell him😂). Take care, Ann

      Delete
    3. Ooooh - home made bread - it's so tempting, isn't it?
      Thank you very much.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Your allotment has been a great investment and has provided you with lots of delicious and very colourful produce. I love to see your photographs. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really has, it's a great help in lots of ways.
      xx

      Delete
  4. I like the new font!

    When we had a chest freezer we used the canvas bags to organise stuff ... a much cheaper option that the baskets and easier to use.

    It's a meeting friends and haircut day! Enjoy all you have planned, Joy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friends and a haircut - how amazingly fantastic!
      I'm definitely following up on the bags suggestions, many thanks.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Not so keen on this font, maybe it just doesn't agree with my glasses or perhaps you have it on Bold instead of normal. There are lots of brilliant font to choose from though aren't there, I do like having a play when I rejig my blogs :-)

    Yes, it's definintely soup season at the moment, but today I've been mostly hand washing, and hanging it all out and then literally an hour later bringing it all in as it went dark and started raining. I have it on the airer now stood over a towel to catch any remaining drips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just a very bold one, I think. Maybe tomorrow's will be easier to read. Sorry.
      Yes, there are loads. That's definitely am improvement.
      xx

      Delete
  6. Your home grown vegetables look amazing. It sounds like you are busy and happy. Enjoy your coffee with your friend.

    ReplyDelete