Sunday 2 August 2020

Sunday

Good morning, everyone.  Yesterday was much more moderate in temperature, wasn't it?  Still warm, just not baking hot, thank goodness.  It's a good start this morning too - the sun is up and it's delightfully cool outside.

Now for the good news.  Finally we have baby beans here on the 'estate' and here's the proof.


So cute!

I took a lovely courgette around to my next door neighbour and in return she gave me a raspberry cutting she's been bringing on for me during lockdown.  It's in a beautiful condition and I have just the pot for it when I get some compost.  I use a mix of potting compost and organic matter from the bottom of the compost bit and the plants seem to like that very much.  The pot I'm using has some soil in but I will take out the top half, feed that with slow release pellets and top it up with the new stuff.
Here it is.  What a lovely neighbour.



Yesterday early morning I drove into town (I'm not using the buses yet) to pick up my prescription and to deposit a cheque from inland revenue, bless them!  There was a queue for the bank but I was let in ahead because I could do it on the machine.

Then I braved Primark and M&S.  In the latter, I bought some new, smaller bras (I'm falling out of some of the older ones when I bend over and it's not a pretty sight!) and treated myself to some nice looking green beans.  No jeans though - I've decided to use the bigger ones a bit longer and use a belt!
In Primark, I got some T shirts and they had basic flip flops at 90p so I got some, the reason being that went we go back to 'real' weigh-ins at Slimming World, the word is that we won't be allowed to take off our shoes and flip flops are light!
On the way back to the car, I went into Lakeland but was very restrained.  All I wanted was some silicone cup-cake moulds, nothing else.

Although there were plenty of people in town, it was nothing like a pre-Covid Saturday morning and it was easy to distance, we were clicked in and out of shops and there was sanitiser dotted all around the place.  What with that and the masks, it felt pretty safe.

Once home, I popped my new clothes in the washing machine with bits from the washing basket and they dried very quickly in the sun.  I got all the ironing done too so the basket is empty.

When I went to water at the allotment, I came back with seven runner beans - just a couple of mouthfuls!  Oh, the weeds!  I'm going to spend some time early morning today, while it is still nice and cool.

The other scheduled thing is to meet Beth there at five and we can do some more then as well as water.  There will be courgettes too.

Apart from that, I'm looking forward to reading the new foodie magazines in the garden and doing a bit of home weeding as well.  Oh, and some planning.  There's not much to do and it won't take long.
Have a lovely Sunday, whatever you do.  xx

10 comments:

  1. Ooooh, raspberries! What a lovely gift. Do you always grow your raspberries in pots - just picking your brain for my own efforts next year 😊

    I didn't realise it was possible to be restrained when shopping in Lakeland! There's always something I "need" and I seem to leave my willpower at the door. The only thing that saves me is that we don't have a store in town, the nearest is in Bath so is a special trip!

    Hope you have a lovely day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it kind. Yes, I have my Autumn fruiting raspberries in a large pot and, so far, they seem fine although I expect that at some point I will need to refresh the soil. Five it a go and see.

      I was impressed with myself, I have to admit. Restraint and Lakeland do not sit easily side-by-side. We're so lucky to have a shop in town, I know.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Wow, shopping in town, very nice. I haven't done anything like that. Our nearest biggish town is Lowerstoft so I doubt we'll go there. I'm happy to shop on line.
    But wouldn't mind a mooch. Yes weeds are here too, but too hot to do much the last few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to mooch but I won't be doing it all that often all the same.

      As you say, online is fine.
      xx

      Delete
  3. The beans are looking good Joy I bet you can't wait to get some to eat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really can't, Diane. I had some from the allotment for lunch today and they were delicious. There are loads and loads of babies so the future looks green and beany! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  4. What lovely swaps with your neighbour, it's nice to share isn't it. It really sounds like you're being very busy and productive.

    It's lovely and sunny here at the Van at the moment so I have just cut the grass and tidied up all the edges, it makes a huge difference in a short space of time. I'm starting to love having a little garden instead of 5 acres ;-)

    The flowers on bean plants are lovely aren't they.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to share. The neighbours (and I count everyone in our little cul de sac and a neighbour) are a friendly lot and it's great to share out produce.

      What a contrast! Five acres is a huge responsibility, isn't it? I do love your little garden at the Van though.

      Yes, runner bean flowers are very attractive. I gather the Elizabethans grew them for their flowers, not for food. But even nicer when you know you will get beans from them eventually! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  5. Sounds like it was a very productive day.

    I tend to postpone ironing clothes as much as possible. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may sound daft, but I rather like a spot of ironing although I never used to. There's something very satisfying about smoothing out the wrinkles and producing a neat, tidy finished product.
      xx

      Delete