Saturday 8 August 2020

Saturday

Good morning, everyone.
Around here it was very hot yesterday.  I could tell it was going to be a scorcher when I left the house before nine to do a Sainsbury's shop; already it was as hot as I would choose a day to be.

It was fine in Sainsbury's.  All these big stores have very efficient air conditioning, thank goodness, because the masks are hot enough to wear without summer temperatures making them more uncomfortable.  The pollen must have been very high because I had an itchy nose, unusual for me this far into the summer.  Itchy and drippy noses don't go all that well with a face mask!

I managed to spend a fortune but I did get another pair of jeans this time - I should be OK now with three pairs, not that jeans figure much right now.  I've brought summer skirts, T shirts and a dress with me this weekend!  While packing on Thursday, I realised that I am short of just one basic essential - a plain white T shirt - and to my delight, Sainsbury's had some.  Excellent!  It's not too bright a white and perfect for what I wanted.

Once home and shopping sorted out, I trundled to the allotment and did a good watering.  There were more runner, more courgettes and a few raspberries but I left them for Beth as I don't need them over the weekend.

The journey here was fine once the car air con got going and for the first time in several years, there was no road works hold ups on the way.

Dad's tomatoes are further on than mine and I picked loads, cooking some as our veg with some steak and a hash brown.  I halved them, added some garlic puree and a few shavings of butter and just popped it all in the oven for half an hour or so.  Simple and utterly delicious!

Today is an easy day which is just as well as I have slept very badly and will need to catch up.  The meals are all planned and won't be any trouble at all and I'm well into a re-read of 'To Serve Them All My Days' on Kindle, which is a great favourite and has been ever since I saw the TV adaptation decades ago.

I also have runner beans and more tomatoes to pick and the Saturday paper to browse through, a real treat as I don't take any papers at home.
It should be a good day.  Hoping yours is too.  xx

7 comments:

  1. Have a lovely day Joy its going to be another hot one I fear

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely tomato idea, I'll try that, thanks! Have a good day. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read all Delderfields in my very first years working in the library and have never seen them again anywhere.
    Another hottish day ahead I think.
    Enjoy your day

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never read that book or seen the film but having looked in Goodreads, I think I'd enjoy it.

    Hope you have a lovely gentle day today xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds very productive day Joy, we went out yesterday and our treat was a newspaper each! Me the 'Mail', hubby had the 'I' so, a quiet Friday afternoon reading newspapers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was so hot yesterday, sounds like you had a busy day glad to hear your enjoying your books x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, everyone. It turned out to be a very peaceful day, not as hot as expected. It's nice to have a chill-out weekend from time to time.
    xx

    ReplyDelete