Sunday 12 April 2020

Sunday

Good morning.  What a lovely day it was again yesterday, to be sure.  Wall to wall sunshine and so warm too.  Today's forecast is just as good except for, perhaps, a few thundery showers later on.  A bit of rain would be good for the garden, that's for sure.

I went down the allotment yesterday at around eight thirty - there was hardly anyone else there although by the end, there were several more people, all keeping their distance while smiling and waving merrily.
I had only intended to water the broad bean seeds - or where the seeds have been planted) and the rhubarb but in the end I stayed for over an hour and a half.
I watered the beans and rhubarb plus what has survived a year of neglect in the  strawberry and raspberry section.  I don't think the strawberries will come to much but have great hope for the raspberries.  They are autumn fruiting ones and each of the plants that have survived are sending up several canes so that's great.
Then I sowed half a short row of 'heritage' carrots, half a row of ditto radishes and a row of multi coloured beetroot.  All three are from that set of seeds I won in the last face to face SW meeting so goodness knows whether they will actually come up.  One can but trust!
Then I set to and weeded all over the top part so it now looks pretty respectable.  I'm so glad the bigger section is covered over - I'll get to grips with the part that's not covered and then, when that is sorted and planted up, the rest can be uncovered bit by bit by bit as required.  If it stays covered all year, no problem.

Once home, I had breakfast (outside) before doing just a bit of housework (the bare minimum) and the bit of ironing in the basket before looking thoughtfully over my pile of fabrics and deciding on a challenge.  Not a pattern challenge, a fabric challenge.  I have some pretty greyish fabric that is going to be the very devil to sew, being slippery.  It was hard enough placing the pattern pieces and cutting them out so goodness knows what the sewing up will be like.  Lots of firm and accurate tacking first, I suspect.
I used the same pattern as the dress but with a different neck and have cut it long, down to the ground, as it's a sort of 'dressy' fabric in a quiet way.  If it doesn't work long, I can cut it shorter.  The main thing is that it might be too narrow for sensible walking, so I might leave the side seams open to the knee or something.  Again, I will see when I tack it up and fit it.

The remains of the day was spent in watching telly and knitting.  Generally, it was a gentle and satisfying day.

I'd like today to be more of the same.

Something energetic. 
That will be the allotment (still being very careful when using my left arm).  I really don't fancy doing any specific exercise but I might make myself do some of Lindsey's balance work.

Something for house/garden:
Hopefully not a lot!  What I am doing is digging out all the highly invasive whitebells in my middle bed as soon as they send up flower stems (so I know what they are).  I really don't want them!

Something social:
Beth and I have a scheduled video chat today. 

Something creative.
Tacking, tacking and more tacking (see above).  I need to iron on some interfacing, machine sew some darts and zig zag some edges but apart from that, it's all tacking, which I can combine with . . .

Something entertaining:
Looking at the Radio Times, I see there's a programme with Alexander Armstrong called Heavenly Gardens, a series of two which visits garden 'expressing hope, joy and renewal'.  It sounds perfect for a gentle day.  There's also a showing of the Gene Wilder classic, 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'.
Plus, of course, Jane Eyre.

And algebra.  I didn't do any yesterday so am looking forward to today's hour.

8 comments:

  1. I'd like to watch Jane Eyre today but I also want to watch Alfie Boe on Royal Albert Home, so I'll see how I feel tonight.

    It sounds like you have a busy day planned. Good luck with the sewing ... I don't like sewing with slippery fabrics at all so hope it all goes well. Enjoy your catch up with Beth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I forgot about Alfie, thanks for the reminder.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a very productive time at the allotment. I haven't picked up my knitting yet but I think I shall dig it out and crack on with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's very much getting things back in shape again but I will do more planting in time. I'm taking it slowly.
      xx

      Delete
  3. It is good that people can still escape to their allotments. Look forward to seeing the new dress you are making. Have a lovely day and a nice chat with Beth. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. It would not be good if that was banned. It's easier to be distanced in the allotment than it is in the supermarket, that's for sure.
      xx

      Delete
  4. You sound very busy and upbeat. Gardening is good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too. I usually feel brighter after a spell in the garden or allotment.
      xx

      Delete