Monday 20 April 2020

Monday

Good morning.
What a gorgeous day it was yesterday.  I took this photo down the allotment and it epitomises how sunny and beautiful it was there.  Very peaceful too - I was the first person there.

I got the bed re-covered, all but a strip which I will be working on, and I prepped about a third of that strip ( big enough to accommodate a healthy adult courgette plant) so it was a good morning's work.  It was a lot harder to cover a big bed when it's just one person plus a good breeze but I got there!  Now, cate/badgers - do your worst!
Actually, to be fair, since I put down the cat/dog repellent, they seem to be giving my little patch a wide berth.  I've seen no evidence of any action anyway and the uncovered raised bed is no longer a moggy loo!

The earlier sown radishes are starting to come up and I sowed some more radishes and a row of carrots.  No sign of the broad beans yet - it can't be long before they start coming through.
Baby radishes; you can just see them if you look carefully!


Feeling very gardener-like, when I got home, I sowed some more seeds - some salad leaves (I plan to sow small amounts at intervals during spring and summer), some spring onions, some sunflowers and, while clearing out my out of date seeds, I found some gardener's delight tomato seeds so I've sown them, just in case any come up - you never know.  It's quite a little garden in my living room at the moment!

I heard from the garden company about the tomato plants and they are sending me a repeat order.  That might mean I get three more - that would be good!  As long as whatever I get is healthy, that's the main thing.
What with what I have ordered and what I have sown, I will have tomato plants to give away to friends and neighbours.  That makes me really happy!

I spent the rest of the day pottering about, watching pre-recorded stuff like Homes Under the Hammer and Great British Menu before settling down to episodes two and three of Pride and Prejudice.
It was a really lovely day!

The way things are, today won't be all that different really.

Something energetic:
Guess . . .  :-)

Something in house/garden:
I need to have a good tidy up.  Things have just been left around rather than put away properly over the weekend and, staying in as much as we have to at the moment, it's bugging me a bit.  Also, I have quite a lot of veg so I need to go through what I have and maybe do another batch of roasted veg for the freezer.  As for the garden, there's some weeds coming up around the paving so I must get going with the scraper tool.  If I'm feeling very energetic, I'll get out the mower and deal with my front patch and then see if I can lift the mower into the car for the allotment tomorrow.  Fingers crossed - it really does need a high cut now and the dandelions need beheading before they start seeding.

Something social:
I have a chat with Chris arranged this afternoon.  That will be really nice.

Something entertaining:
Carrying on with Pride and Prejudice.  I saw a couple of episodes last night and not it's the Pemberley part.  My favourite bit!

Something creative:
Getting the sleeves sewn in!
Also, I downloaded a free pattern from Deramore's, the yarn company that I use.  It's a crocheted rabbit and looks rather cute; I'd like to give it a go, although my crochet skills are very basic.  It just takes odds and ends of yarn and I have plenty of those!
Cute, isn't he?


So, a nice, full day today but nothing too arduous and I shall enjoy it all, I am sure.  Have a lovely day, everyone and be safe.  xx



10 comments:

  1. Joy who do you get your tomato plants from I got mine from Thompson Morgan and last year they were terrible not quite so bad this year and three of the six plants looked healthy the rest are not dead but not well either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Thompson and Morgan. Same company. Maybe it is worth complaining.
      If I get around to it, next year I will get seeds and try growing my own instead of buying, I think. I am this year too but I've never had much luck that way so am still buying plants as well, although it does seem to be going better this year.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Oh dear. it's T & M that my much needed pepper plants are coming from. Hope they will be OK. I don't want to be pepper-less this year.
    No rain forecast for this week - watering cans will be needed
    Have a good day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear. Well, perhaps I was just unlucky and Diane's plants are living, just not maybe as good as they ought to be.
      Here's hoping.
      xx

      Delete
  3. That's good news about the replacement tomato plants so let's hope they arrive in good condition. You are putting in some hard work on the allotment so I'm sharing your excitement that the radishes are starting to show!

    The rabbit it lovely ... he looks friendly x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every year it gets to me - the miracle of new growth. It's such a wonderful time of year.
      xx

      Delete
  4. He's adorable. Good for you for getting all of those seeds sown. I planted some today, straight into the ground. I'm going to try growing cherry and grape tomatoes from seed. I can see you baby radishes. That's how my lettuce patch looks right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it exciting when things start coming through! I love it; I get childishly gleeful and take loads of photos!
      Good luck with your tomatoes. I think that, of everything, I would miss tomatoes and runner beans the most, if I couldn't grow any. They taste amazing, don't they?
      xx

      Delete
  5. It's exciting to see new growth appearing. I keep checking the raised bed each morning and I've got ten little tomato seedlings now. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, lovely! I can almost taste the results in four month's time! :-)
      xx

      Delete