Wednesday 31 May 2023

Wednesday, 31-05-23

Good morning, everyone.  Here we are, last day of May and guess what - it's raining.  Well, drizzling really but it's damp and a bit chilly.  Yesterday was chilly too and Mr Sun obviously didn't read the BBC weather because he stayed away all day.
Seriously, I was miserably cold for most of the day, despite warm jumpers, shoes and socks (and everything in between, obviously).  My fingers were the worst - brrrrr.
Oh, well, it is what it is!

After that dismal start . . . 




Look what I saw half an hour ago.  Yes, my first strawberry of the year, despite the lack of sun.  There's another one coming along too and where one leads, the rest are not far behind, like tomatoes!

So that's really cheered me up!







I got the shopping for the next couple of weeks done first thing yesterday.  I was surprised that it was a lot less than the start of May (not so much meat, I think, but more fruit and veg) and very pleased that what I have left for May covered the cost so that's a good start for June, especially as I am planning to spend an arm and a leg on a holiday next year!!

Apart from that, I did the usual regular household stuff, I exercised to a YouTube thing and I read and knitted.  A quiet (and chilly) day because I refused to turn up the heating - it's the end of May, for goodness sakes!!  :-)

By the end of today, I should have a working shower again.  Matt is coming first thing to fit the new one and I think he's doing my annual boiler service at the same time.  I'll be thankful when that is done.  I don't use my shower all the time but I have missed it.
When that's finished, it is usual stuff - the regular wipe arounds, etc.  Then I will be nice and lazy, watch a dvd maybe or catch up on some telly.  I'll see what the weather does and, maybe, I will go out and see what I can find to fill a small planter for the other side at the front, as I mentioned yesterday.  Not if it is raining though.  Mind you, the garden really does need some rain; it is very dry at the moment.

Well, better go, wash, gat dressed and be ready for when Matt turns up - he said between eight and nine and he's always very prompt so it could be closer to eight than to nine.  Have a lovely day, whatever the weather.  xx

16 comments:

  1. We expected grey clouds all day but it was a lovely sunny day. First strawberry of the year heh! Yum, mine aren't quite there yet but soon, very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon we had your clouds- and again today. Would you like them back again?
      Yup, first one. Always exciting! :-)
      xx

      Delete
    2. It's been grey and chilly all day today. Brrrrrrr

      Delete
    3. It really is unseasonably chilly, isn't it? xx

      Delete
  2. I love your new header - very cheerful. It's mighty cold here today with no sun at present but plenty of wind. It will be a brisk walk later, I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      Thankfully, we don't have much wind but it is still cold and a bit damp - and very dull.
      Enjoy your walk. xx

      Delete
  3. Yummy strawberries! 🍓 🍓 🍓 🍓

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so - they should be. Fingers crossed.
      xx

      Delete
  4. One of my sisters was saying how cold she's been feeling the last few days, she lives in the Dunstable area. It's been so warm here in west Wales that I've been in shorts - that doesn't happen often!!
    Lovely strawberry.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really has been chilly. I turned my heating down a while ago but it still came on this morning. The sun is out now so it feels much more comfortable, thank goodness. xx

      Delete
  5. It's so hot here. Too hot for May! I'm complaining already. We only have window air conditioners and we hadn't put them in before we left for camping. Now it's boiling out! We're supposed to have a record high today. It's going to be between 32-34c for the next few days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goodness, that is hot! It doesn't seem that long ago that you had so much snow too. xx

      Delete
  6. Today, after days of the weather pundits stressing we were going to get thunderstorms, we actually got one, as well as some decent rain. It was really hot here (not at all May weather) and so I could only go out into the garden beds to weed during the mornings or later in the evenings.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds most uncomfortably hot! I hope the storm has brought the temperature down a bit. Phew. xx

      Delete
  7. You usually do get decent crop of strawberries. I hope you enjoy another productive year. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year was really poor but this year looks much more hopeful. Fiingers crossed. xx

      Delete