Thursday 18 May 2023

Thursday, 18-05-23

Good morning, everyone.  I'm up quite early and the sun seems to be slowly breaking through.  Bring it on, that's what I say.  In fact, BBC predicts a rather good fortnight of weather - no complaints here, even if it does mean a bit of plant watering.

I had an email from my brother, John, the one who manages a couple of scrap stores in the Borders.  He was really pleased to get a phone call from someone who wants to visit who saw about him/them in here, in my blog.
I'm just intrigued as to who it was so, if you would like to, please do say in the comments.  You don't have to, of course, I'm just really interested (aka 'nosey')!   And thank you.

A few garden photos - it is that time of year again, isn't it?


The herb and foliage bed is looking at its best at this time of year;  lush and green and growing well.  I had to replace a dead sage but the new one is doing OK.

I do need to chop back the oregano - it's taking over!

This is filling up nicely now and should have some traily bits soon.

Round the front, this geranium has been there for three years but this is the first year it has done anything interesting.  If you look sort of upper middle. you can just see flower buds.

Also round the front, my confused dahlia is sending up new leaves.  I thought I had lost it but no, it's still there.  This is the one that sends up random red and white petalled flowers and I would be sorry to lose it after so many years of greeting visitors to the front door with a bright show.




I got my shopping done early morning.  It didn't look that big a shop but ouch, all the same.  However, that should be me set up until the end of the month, barring little items - milk, maybe, or a few fresh vegetables.

I had a lovely chat with my friend, Mel, over coffee.  When she had gone, I went online and caught a message from Lindsey - she wasn't well and needed to cancel Personal Training.  That was a shame because I really enjoy our sessions but, of course, she needed to rest.  Hopefully she will be OK once the meds she got from the GP kick in.

Today starts with an online SET class - I haven't heard it's not on anyway.
Then it is the usual coffee and chat with Christine.
And then, hopefully, it is third time lucky for lunch with Val.
When I get home, I will do a quick tidy up so everything is cleaner-friendly and then I can chill, read, knit and watch rubbish telly!
Nice.

So that is my day today.  Have a lovely day, everyone.  How is the weather looking your way?  xx



18 comments:

  1. Morning Joy, the weather is looking lovely here too (obviously!). It went a bit chilly yesterday afternoon I thought though and had to put a jumper on. Your planters look absolutely wonderful, well done you! I do love this time of year.
    Suze x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. < grin > What a surprise!! Mornings and evenings are definitely on the chilly side still - last night I had my electric blanket on for a short while.
      And thank you. I love this time of year, I really do. xx

      Delete
  2. It's a surprisingly warm start today and hopefully good gardening weather. Your planters are looking very lush. All the rain is clearly doing them the world of good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cherie - I think it is helping. I've had to water a bit over the past few days, mind you. :-) xx

      Delete
  3. Your planters are gorgeous and reflect the effort you put into your garden. I had a delivery from Waitrose for the first time last weekend and the food and service were excellent. However-all the food fitted into two crates and cost what it used to cost for a weeks groceries! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really worrying, isn't it? And there's precious little chance of it going down again. We just have to manage the best we can. xx

      Delete
  4. Weather good here - love your foliage and herb beds and pleased your geranium has decided to send up flowers for once. It is surprising for a geranium that it has taken 3 years though they are usually in the easy to grwo category! Have a good day / lunch / chat. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think maybe it is round the front which tended to be rather neglected. I'm getting to grips with it better now and perhaps that's why. The one at the back has been beautiful for years. xx

      Delete
  5. It's not as warm here as it was yesterday but still a very acceptable 17 degrees and comfortable for gardening. Everything grows so fast at this time of year, particularly the things you'd rather didn't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How true. Those perishing weeds are a right pain! xx

      Delete
  6. It looks beautifully sunny here today, but it is really cold. So much so I am debating whether to click the heating on for half an hour while I have my lunch. Your planters are looking amazing, isn't everything lovely and fresh and green at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my favourite time of year - everything looks so fresh and clean and the different shades of green are just lovely. xx

      Delete
  7. Those herbs look in tip top condition, I love growing herbs for obvious reasons but I think I'm guilty of neglecting them - they never look great, I probably should give them a feed! We are having such nice sunny weather but the mornings are still chilly.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto so last year I made an effort and bought a 'herb feed' and it made quite a difference. The mint, especially, came up so much better (it's in pots) xx

      Delete
  8. It has been overcast here today, but warm enough for me to wear a dress to work. It made a nice change from my usual trousers. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A change is as good as a rest, isn't it? xx

      Delete
  9. Our lovely days have swiftly changed tonight it will feel like 0C so the veggie garden is covered and my bedding plants are inside. After this things look pretty good.

    Your flowers look wonderful.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea to get those tender little plants inside or covered. It can get so chilly at this time of year round here too. xx

      Delete