Thursday 5 January 2023

Thursday, 05-01-23

Good morning, everyone.  It's dry this morning.  Quite dull but that's OK, and it feels very mild, which is nice.

After starting this low/no spend month, I had two parcels arrive yesterday but they were all ordered in December (that's my excuse).
One was some Spode Christmas china that I ordered in a 50% off sale and the other was a water filter jug.  There's a good reason for the latter.  I'm definitely having the water softener replaces but it will be a while before Super-Matt the Plumber can do it.  In the meanwhile, I have a lovely new coffee machine that says use filtered water and, anyway, my cold water tap in the kitchen doesn't go through the softener.  I decided that a basic water filter jug would do the necessary si there you go!.

I had another spend too.  Lindsey has started up a 'Shimmy Snippets' part of her business.  I've described it more fully in my SW blog, if you read in there, but basically it is a fifteen minute exercise segment every day for the whole year, some live and some pre-recorded, that are stored so you can have access to any of them afterwards.  At just 10p a session, 70p a week, it is a bargain even though you sign up for the whole year, so I have signed up and paid.  As I am focusing on my health more and more as I get older, I count it as an essential that should get me moving every single day and should give me more consistency in this area.

Personal training wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be.  Yes, I got more puffed than usual on the exercise bike and the cross trainer but everything else was fine.  We even increased the weights I use for one part so I was very pleased about that.




I hoped that my old slippers would last out until I opened this Twelve Days gift but they didn't so I had to get some more before Christmas.  Not to worry, I am hard on slippers so when my current ones die, I will have a shiny new pair to use straight away!





Today is looking good.  There's more clearing and sorting out to do and the day is nicely cut in half because Chris and I are going to Robyn's Nest for lunch.  This was supposed to happen before Christmas but due to illness (me and then her) and family stuff, it didn't.  I was very chuffed with myself.  Regular readers will know that I have significant hearing issues and using the phone has been very tricky for me.  As I now have blue-toothable hearing aids, I ought to be able to use my mobile, as the sound should play right into my aids but still have a real fear about it.
Yesterday, I told myself to grow up and gave booking the table by phone a go and - surprise, surprise - it was fine.

We were talking about words for the year.  Positivity is definitely a biggie but maybe I ought to focus on the Three Cs - contentment, consistency and confidence - especially confidence!  < grin >

So that is today and it should be good.  You have a good day too and stay safe and well.  xx



18 comments:

  1. I love your fluffy, spotty slippers they are very girly. I always buy Hotter hard-soled slippers, they cost a bit but then they usually last me at least three years. I just step outside so often in my slippers that having lovely fluffy ones would not be an option. I even used to wear them over to the polytunnel and veggie patch before we moved.
    I hate using the phone and I'm always super pleased with myself when I have successfully completed a phone call to make an appointment or sort something out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to ruin my slippers like that but now a keep a pair of 'croc' type plastic shoes by the back door and just change over when I need to go into the garden. I just love fluffy slippers! :-)
      Phones can be very useful but not if you can't hear properly (or any other reason). I suspect I will always have a bit of a dread - it's too ingrained - but fingers crossed I can get a bit more confident. xx
      xx

      Delete
  2. Those gorgeous slippers would match my dressing gown perfectly. I too keep some mock crocs near the back door. My current slippers are sheepskin boots bought from Sheepland last year. They are meant as outdoor wear but will last me years using them as slippers I bought Tony some for Christmas this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love sheepskin but they are expensive for the length of time they seem to last. Maybe I ought to consider getting some outdoor ones - but, then again, I do like the fluffy slippers, even if they don't last that long. xx

      Delete
    2. Me too - my toes cramp when my feet are cold. Not nice! xx

      Delete
  3. I don’t wear slippers as such but buy Flyflot clogs instead as I like the hard soles. Your new slippers look very cosy and will be toasty warm on your bare feet. Still tidying today and feeling quite happy with what I have sorted out for donating. Boiler service tomorrow so need to be up early for that. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done for the sorting progress and I do hope the boiler service went well. xx

      Delete
  4. I can't see the 'Shimmy Snippets' info on your other blog. Which day di you post it please?

    I'm into fluffy slippers and do the same as you, keeping some crocs by the back door. I quite like slipper socks and booties as well.

    Hope you have a lovely time with Chris today and huge congratulations for overcoming your fears and using the phone to make the booking. I like your three words, contentment, consistency and confidence, and may copy you if you don't mind. They've clicked for me more than anything else I have read this year. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Er < blush >, tomorrow!!!
      (sorry)

      Please do use those words. I like them too. Sometimes it takes a short time for something to bed in properly, doesn't it, whether it be deeds, thoughts or words.
      xx

      Delete
  5. I'm super hard on slippers too, despite changing into garden clogs before stepping outside. Husband bought me a pair just before Christmas and they are already wrecked - perhaps having 3 dogs in the house ( one a lab ) doesn't help!
    Think I might take tips from above comments, maybe treat myself to a Hotter pair next time. Love your 3 C's
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hotter shoes certainly are really very good indeed. I never thought I'd find anyone harder on slippers than I - but you are! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  6. Cute slippers Joy. Love the polka dots.

    I use a regular filter jug for our coffee pot as well. Seems to work just fine.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jackie. Me too.
      I'm glad I got the filter. I'm missing my water softener no end and will replace it but just for now, the jug is really useful. xx

      Delete
  7. I love those pink polka dot slippers! I'm hard on mine, too. I started ordering sheepskin ones from Overland. So far, this pair has lasted me for two years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheepskin is so very nice, isn't it? If I wasn't so hard on slippers, I'd use them. Maybe, depending on how the low spend/no spend goes, I can save up and get some.
      Mind you, I have enough slippers for now and, come the warmer weather, I like to go barefoot inside anyway.
      xx

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a good day. I love slippers. My feet are always cold in the winter so I'm always looking for a really fluffy, comfortable, warm pair. Maybe the trick to a no-spend January is to order in December and have delivered in January lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - it does sound as if that's what I have done but it wasn't, honest. I'd already planned the filter jug and the rest were late deliveries.
      I find my home made socks are also lovely and toasty warm for my toes. In the evening, my knitting and crochet keeps my fingers warm while sock and slippers do the necessary for my toes. It's just my nose that gets chilly . . .
      xx

      Delete