Sunday 7 April 2019

Sunday

Good morning, everyone! 

Yesterday was a pretty busy day and I got loads done!
First of all, I popped out to Tesco to get a few things on Dad's list (and a few on mine too).  There weren't many shoppers at that time of day but there were a lot of staff fulfilling Internet orders so it seemed quite crowded.

Once home, I had breakfast with dad before starting off the washing (his sheets are changed on Fridays) and then going up to Mum's office.  Mum was a very tidy individual but she was also, like me, a hoarder, so there was a lot of 'stuff' that really was only fit for chucking.  I got waylaid several times - for example, she used to edit the church magazine for several years and has kept every copy in files.  It was fun to read back and remember things.  I didn't chuck those, of course.

I found photo albums and a photo of Mum that is perfect for the order of service.

I went through her sewing cabinet that Dad made for her in the early days of their marriage and which is such a part of my childhood memories as it was so often out and being used.  It wasn't a sewing machine table, just a thing on wheels for storing all her sewing stuff and, if I had room, I'd take it but I don't.  I now have enough sylko/sewing thread to last me and Beth for several years to come, all the colours of the rainbow, some very, very old.

I had to laugh.  For months I have been searching high and low at home for some knitting patterns I know I didn't throw away and which I wanted but couldn't find them anywhere!  You've guessed what, haven't you - yes, there they were in a plastic box.  At some point I must have lent them to Mum and we never got round to handing them back again.  So now I have plenty of choice of what to make with the pack of aran yarn I have in my cupboard.

She also had lots of paper patterns but most were very old and incomplete and had to be ditched.  I have a few though that I am sure I will use over time.

I haven't started on the chest of drawers yet although I did go through them about a year ago (at Dad's request) and filtered out some stuff.  I may do a bit after church this morning.

So, yes, bitter-sweet, not as tearful as I expected but plenty of warm memories as I went through things.

Today I am accompanying Dad to church.  He didn't go last week, obviously, so it might be a bit emotional for us but the ice needs to be broken, so to speak.
Then I may do some more clearning out and this afternoon I'm setting off home again.  Once home, there will be plenty of unpacking and finding homes and also a bit of planning for the only tuition session I am doing over this holiday, for my eleven plusser tomorrow morning.
So a busy day ahead of me today but it should be OK.  Hoping yours is too.
xx

15 comments:

  1. Morning Joy, you did get a lot done! When we cleared out my beloved Granddad's house a few years back, along with my sister, Mum and her brother, it took us ages - we all kept stopping to read through and look at stuff he'd kept and we'd all not seen for years. So many memories brought back - as you're finding, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased with what I managed to do. Yes, loads of memories.
      xx

      Delete
  2. It can't be easy sorting through all these things, but it must be heartwarming to bring back certain memories attached to them.
    I am a little behind with blog reading at present, but know I am thinking of you and your family. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely really. Hard, but lovely.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Well done for achieving all that you did yesterday. Chatting to friends before and after the service today will undoubtedly be emotionally draining for both you and your Dad and I wish you well with it .. it's not easy but it is in many ways, very comforting. Send ind {{{hugs}}}.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... that should say 'Sending {{{hugs}}}'

      Delete
    2. :-)
      It was a bit difficult but it's broken the ice.
      xx

      Delete
  4. When we sorted out the family home of over 40 years after dad died and mum decided to move to an apartment I found my dad had kept all my school books in the loft. He also had every cheque book stub he had ever had with the old Midland bank. Sorting through everything so many memories flooded back.
    Have a safe journey home x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept all my stubs for ages - it was only after retirement that I dorted through nthem and chucked most of them. Now, I hardly ever write a cheque.
      xx

      Delete
  5. As you say bitter sweet lots of memories provoked but most of them good one I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were, Diane, they were lovely.
      xx

      Delete
  6. Glad that your Dad managed to pluck up the courage to go to church today, it surely was hard to do but will get easier meeting their friends and acquaintances from now on.

    Yes bitter-sweet indeed. I wasn't involved at all when my Mum moved in with my Brother, he and SIL had the joy of clearing then but she still took loads of decades worth of old correspondence/documents with her, amongst them my and her school reports plus a number of mementos of my early childhood. After my brother died I needed to clear it all as these understandably didn't mean anything to my SIL. The one thing that delighted me the most was Mum's sewing box, and remembering how I used to play with the contents. I don't have children so didn't bring any of it back as it would have been too much hassle stuffing it into a suitcase and fly it over; I lived without the stuff for over half a century so it isn't needed now neither. I do have a couple of framed pictures of pencil drawings she did when she was fifteen and they were always in my child- hood bedroom so they are a great comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely to think that your mum kept so many things relating to your childhood, isn't it? As you say, comforting.
      xx

      Delete
  7. I hope all went well at church for you and your Dad. I know that it must have been difficult. How does your Dad seem to be holding up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He seems to be doing well, Sue. He's a practical chap and knows he needs to re-make his life after devoting it to caring for Mum. I shall keep going up regularly and he's talking about doing a bit more in the garden again.
      xx

      Delete