Monday 8 April 2019

Monday

Good morning, everyone.  It was an extremely dull day yesterday until mid-afternoon when it cheered up a bit so I'm wondering how today will turn out.  A bit of sunshine would be a Good Thing and would encourage me to hang my washing out!

Well, the weekend is over.  It was hard: harder than the previous two weekends, oddly enough.  Maybe it was the emotional impact.  But by yesterday lunchtime, Mum's office was mostly sorted with just a few more things still to do which can wait.  Beth was happy with all the 'new' supplies she now has for her little business and I have more knitting stuff which I really must sort out today.  There were lots of single balls/half balls of chunky yarn and, with what I already have, there's enough to make a striped/multi coloured jumper of some kind.  I rather like that idea although I will need to think carefully to avoid it just looking a bit daft!

In one of the drawers was a half made up pile of fabric that was obviously a skirt and, I think, some sort of top.  No pattern.  I've brought the skirt home to finish off as quite a lot of it was made - all the long seams and part of the waist band and I can see that it should be a button up the front skirt.  Now, I know my Mum wouldn't have made it button through completely; she would have it buttoned to about half way down and the rest would be fastened together with buttons just for show.  She always said (and I agree) that the bottom button holes were far too vulnerable to tearing.
The fabric is lovely so I shall finish off and wear it with happiness.
(Mum was smaller than I will ever be on top so I didn't keep those bits - anyway, no pattern!)

It was a bit tough at church, especially when a long time friend of Mum's came bouncing up to me to ask how she was - she has no Internet and hadn't heard.  Poor M was very upset when I told her, so that was difficult.  But people said some lovely things, which helped them.

It's nice to be home again for about a week before going up for funeral week.  I shall take things easy but not too easy and will do some fun things just for me.

Today I have the only tuition session of the whole school holiday.  I got the planning done yesterday so my conscience is clear.  After that, the cleaner is coming (should've been Friday but they needed to change the day) and Beth and Alex are over.  Beth comes to work but Alex and I are going out to the Hungry Horse for lunch.  Beth is invited too but may not accept.
Then I will need to sort out some things, chuck some rubbish, do some sewing and some knitting and generally enjoy myself.

I'll finish with a lovely thing.  My good bloggy friend, Sooze, made a lovely card for me which arrived on Friday - the postman handed me the envelope just as I was heading for the car so this is the first chance I have had to show it.  Thank you, Sooze, it is so kind of you, one for the memory box, I think, and I will enjoy the fancy tea bags as well.  :-)
(the photo doesn't do it justice but you can see how lovely it is)


12 comments:

  1. It is difficult meeting all the people, I think we're all afraid of losing control of our emotions. Although it is perfectly natural we do like to keep things buttoned up. It will get easier!

    A lovely card from Sooze, she's a good friend!

    Best wishes xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I 'met' her. :-)
      (are your ears burning, Sooze?)
      xx

      Delete
  2. Oh blimey, ears on fire! Lol! I'm glad you liked the card, Joy - and I do need someone to practise on!

    I'm sure having to face people after the death of a loved one is one of the hardest things, for both you and them. Our neighbour yesterday told my husband she was so grateful for him telling our other neighbours about her husband's death, she'd asked him to as she couldn't face doing it herself. Well done on sorting out your Mum's office, big help to your Dad I'm sure. Have a good week, Joy, yes make sure you do some nice things for yourself, and enjoy your lunch with Alex. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do understand your neighbour's feelings. Part of it is because you know it will upset that person and you're already upset anyway. Difficult.
      xx

      Delete
  3. It is hard letting everyone know when a death occurs - we had the same problem as my MIL belonged to so many different groups.
    Hope you have a lovely lunch and a nice rest for a few days.
    Love your card Sooze. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Viv. It can get complicated when someone has been so involved in the local community.
      xxx

      Delete
  4. Hope this week goes well to set you up for the funeral week.
    I found asking people if they knew about Colin was the hardest, if they didn't know they were always so embarrassed.
    Lovely card from Sooze

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is an awkward one, isn't it. There's always someone too.
      xx

      Delete
  5. I think the ‘telling everyone’ stage is difficult with lots of emotional conversations that essentially cover the same ground ... very tiring emotionally and physically.

    I hope you have a lovely meal with Alex. How is he coping with the news?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is managing after some initial difficulties, thanks, Eileen.
      xx

      Delete
  6. It's bound to be a difficult time especially informing people who haven't heard. Sending hugs your way. Be kind to yourself. Do some fun things for you and don't be afraid to smile and enjoy yourself xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughing helps such a lot. Dad and I have had some good laughs this week which did help.
      xx

      Delete