Sunday 23 April 2017

Sunday

Waking at half past two is ridiculous so thank goodness, after an hour of reading, I managed to drop off again.  One of these days I will manage to sleep through, I am sure.
It's dull outside but not, wet, unlike yesterday when it started drizzling which turned into proper rain before drying up for the sun.  Not enough rain for the garden, of course, but better than nothing.

After a leisurely morning, we went into town in the afternoon so I could show off John Lewis.  My card hasn't yet come and that's fortunate in a way because I was tempted by one or two things as we strolled round.

Once home, I finished off what turned out to be a simple dinner.  Lasagne that I had put together beforehand, garlic bread and a simple salad followed by cheese and crackers.

Today is a bit busier as I have more coming round for lunch.  I have boiled a gammon joint and with it I will provide salad, cheg, coleslaw and jacket potatoes.  Nothing too tricky hut all tasty and filling.  Then it is a selection of cheeses with crackers and grapes.  I am hoping there won't be too much left over.

I have to remember to put the seedlings outside during the day now.  The courgettes are starting to get a bit leggy straining to grow to the light and I don't want that.

I think all the tomato seeds have germinated.  That's the seeds I harvested from a tomato in a bag given to me by a friend who had grown them from seeds she harvested from a tomato she brought back from holiday.  It's not as complicated as it sounds  - honest!

I followed this method.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/gardening-blog/2009/jun/24/gardens
As I thought they might not all grow, I planted four per pot but they have all come up.  Fortunately, my dad will take some off my hands in swaps for the sungolds and montellos he's giving me.  Bartering is great!

Well, it is past six o'clock and I have a lot to do, so I will stop and get on with the morning's tasks.  Have a good day.

2 comments:

  1. What is 'cheg', please? I've never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheese and egg. Hard boil an egg (or as many as you want). Cool. Halve and remove the yolk. Mash the yolk with grated cheese, mayo (or salad cream) and whatever else you want - I used mustard powder, some pepper and a very little bit of salt. Paprika is nice, or chopped fresh chives.
    Set out the whites in a bowl or plate and spoon the egg mixture back into the yolk spaces. Sprinkle with a bit more cheese.
    It may be called something else out there in the Real World but it is an old family recipe that we have always called cheg. A favourite from my childhood. :-)
    J x

    ReplyDelete