Thursday 28 May 2015

Breadline 28-5-15

Spent so far:  £47.98
Still to spend:  £14.02
Days to go: 4

Today's food:
Breakfast:   Granola (2p), pineapple (6p), yogurt (paid)
Very late lunch:  rolls (6p), sliced ham (50p), soft cheese (6p),  Mushroom pate (mushrooms paid, rest of ingredients 10p), flapjack or biscuit (5p)
Supper, maybe:  apple and satsuma (11p)

Spent today:  96p

What I have learnt:
Milk:  it makes economic sense to buy 4 pints of milk for £1 only IF it gets used.  I poured it into five containers to freeze and use when needed but I still threw milk away because it had gone off.  Next time I need to buy milk I will use much smaller containers so that, hopefully, it will be used before it goes off.

Yogurt:  You cannot make yogurt with long life milk that has been frozen, darn it.  It separates and is all nasty!  So that's put paid to my idea of buying litres of long life (much cheaper), using half to make yogurt and freezing the other half for another time.

Soft cheese:  However, you can make soft cheese from yogurt without any hassle.  So from now on I will make a litre of yogurt at a time and convert some into soft cheese rather than buying it separately.

Don't buy things just because they are on special or yellow stickered unless they can be frozen.  Therein lies frustrating waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment