Sunday 18 November 2012

A little extra . . .

. . . to say how utterly scrummily delicious the slow cooked lamb was.  So good that here's the recipe.

Slow cooked leg of lamb

Serves: 6 generously – very generously. I’d say 8 to 10 myself, looking at how much I have left over

Ingredients
1 large leg of lamb
Head of garlic, split but not peeled (I kept one clove aside for the dauphinoise potatoes
Some Chantanay carrots or any you might have about 6-8 depending on size
300ml red wine (I used a merlot)
300ml stock (I used a lamb stock cube in 300ml hot water)

Method
1.Preheat oven to 120C / fan 100C / gas 1/2
2. You need a roasting dish large enough to get the lamb in
3. Heat carrots, garlic, wine and stock in a saucepan until boiling. Pour into the roasting dish and lay the leg of lamb on top. No other seasoning needed.
4. Carefully cover with foil tightly, put in oven and cook for 7 hours. No need to check.
5.Remove lamb to a another tin, turn oven up to 200C / fan 180C / gas 6 and put lamb in to crisp skin for about 15 to 20 mins. (I actually didn’t do this, I just poured off the stock into a saucepan, re-covered it and put it back in the oven until time to serve).
6. Reduce cooking juices to make tasty gravy. I thickened it with thickening granules or you could use cornflour or a buerre marnier.

Great served with dauphinoise potatoes and veg – the carrots cooked in the wine and stock were gorgeous.

Scrummy!  And so much left over for other meals!  I do love leg of lamb but can never cook it just for one.  That would be silly!

No comments:

Post a Comment