Friday, 31 December 2010

Friday: New Year's Eve early morning

. . . and looking ruefully around, what I see reminds me that I didn't get much of what I'd planned done yesterday. I've really slowed down this holiday, partly, I think, because I've been a little under the weather for quite a lot of the time. Nothing major, nothing to stop me doing things, but enough to be a bit miserable. I woke up today and felt 'bright'. I wasn't aching at all and I have been for most of the time, down my arms, back and legs. Again, nothing much, just a niggle and a nuisance. Sometimes you're not really that aware of having felt a bit off colour until you start feeling better again - that's how it's been, I think. Anyway, it's rather nice to feel a bit more on top of things again!

After all the cooking creativity of yesterday, I have just a bit more to do today. When I was in Tesco yesterday, they had some nice stewing steak and I bought some to make a sort of goulash type thing. I'm not following a recipe as such - after all, the word originally meant 'mishmash' which sounds about right to me - but I am using onion, herbs, paprika (of course), red wine, chopped tomatoes, red peppers (should be green, I gather, but I prefer red) and beef stock, plus other herbs/spices. Several recipes I looked at stated caraway seeds and I have some so may as well use them. I might also add some root vegetables towards the end of the cooking time to make it into a complete meal. It won't be at all 'authentic' but isn't that just the way with these soup/stew type things. There's as many different versions as there are people making them. I was going to use the slow cooker but I think maybe I will use the big pot instead and bung it in the oven for long, slow cooking. The house is going to smell delicious, isn't it?

I'll need to take a drive over to DD at some point with the moggy chicken and I MUST remember to put out the bottles for recycling! The rest of the day will be taken up in doing what I intended to do yesterday but didn;t get round to - housework!!

Better go and put those bottles out now, before I forget!

No comments: