Saturday 3 December 2022

Saturday: Blogmas day 3

 Good morning, one and all, and welcome to my blog.  You might have noticed that I have changed the name of my December entries - I'm not sure which of you lovely readers pointed out that December and Advent are not the same thing because it was anonymous, but you were right so from now on it is Blogmas instead < grin >.

Yesterday started off sunny, clouded over and, after dark, we had some rain.  It's dry (and chilly) right now but dry so fingers crossed.  I didn't get the tree stuff out of the garage yesterday; I remembered that the lovely cleaners come late afternoon and really would not be happy about working around such clutter and, also, I didn't fancy going down to the garage after dark - not that it's dangerous or anything, but it is outside my garden boundary and not well lit - so that's something for this morning's list.

I enjoyed Slimming World as much as I always do.  I wore a long Christmas jumper over leggings (no way would the old me have ever considered leggings) and got loads of nice comments which was lovely.  It has half a pound off this week which I am pleased about as last Tuesday evening was a bit blippy!!

I popped into Morrisons afterwards (more or less next door to the hall) to get a few things for today that I didn't find in Sainsbury's and, as I walked down the meat aisle, saw they had turkey legs and thighs at around a fiver.  I remember when they used to be £1.50 or £1.99 but I suppose that was a long time ago now.  Anyway, they were good and big so I got one.  I can slow roast the leg for lunch tomorrow and the thigh is in the freezer.  I know it isn't the white meat but the brown turkey meat is so flavoursome and is great for other meals like casseroles, pies, and so on.  The leftovers will go towards various meals during this next week.

Once home, I brought down more Festive stuff from the blue room and now the bunting is up and things like the Christmas tea towels (I know - silly) are in use.  I must look for the door mats - they have got to be up there somewhere.

I didn't watch Strictly - I knew it had changed day but decided to watch it on iPlayer later

Today, I have done the Advent Calendars.  The Cath Kidston one was some bubble bath which I am going to use today.  I love her stuff.   Also, I'm so enjoying the Jacquie Lawson calendar - today's was sweet but I couldn't find the Christmas gnome - unless it was the Santa on the little tree?  On the first two days, the gnomes did a little dance and disappeared but he did a wave and stayed put so I'm not sure.  If you have that calendar, what do you think?  Is he today's gnome?

Today is, as you must be fed up with me saying, Christmas Tree Day.  It's a family tradition that Beth, Alex and I have each year.  It started when Alex was little and very autistic and it was something he so enjoyed doing and it's just morphed into what it is now.  They come over, we put up the tree and decorate it, we have a buffet tea and watch Christmas movies.  Alex may well go home after tea but Beth is staying over.

This morning, once I am bathed and dressed, will be taken up with getting the boxes out of the garage and then getting as much ready for tea as I can.  Once that's done, I will do the usual houseworky stuff and then chill with my Kindle (still loving the new Fire and so glad I got it) and/or watch Strictly.


Today's Christmas music for you is a most beautiful piece from that master of Christmas song, John Rutter.  Not only are his works lovely to listen to, they are also rather lovely to sing.  I sung in this one as an alto in a ladies choir a long, long time ago when I was living in London.  I love everything about it.  I love the words, I love the melody and, most of all, I love the harmonies.

There are lots of performances of this carol on YouTube but I picked this one because I love the Kings College choir.


But then I thought - perhaps I should have chosen this one from John Rutter conducting the Cambridge Singers - after all, it is his music.  So you have both to choose from.  


I do hope you enjoy listening to it as much as I do.  xx

20 comments:

  1. It was me! Much better name. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who is 'me' though? It's still anonymous. :-D xx

      Delete
  2. I think the gnome is in the toyland shop window but I couldn't find the page of the 'gnome calendar' where they go coloured once you find them each day. I missed yesterdays' bauble and it took me ages to realise there is another page underneath the main village scene.
    In an earlier post you mentioned the daily word puzzle but where is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he was - thank you very much. I haven't found the gnome calendar either. Maybe there isn't one? I've found the bauble calendar.
      The word game is in the house, on one of the pouffes. Click on the letter tiles. Leading up to the start, there was a single word challenge each day. That's still there but there are also four categories (Christmas, Food, Flora and Fauna) and inside each one there are three levels with ten puzzles inside each level. It's good, I think. xx

      Delete
    2. Thank you found it ...yes, it's good.

      Delete
    3. Ah,, found all the gnomes now and the calendar. Many thanks!

      Delete
    4. That's good. I'm loving that every day a new present appears in the house and when you click on it, there's a new game or activity. It just keeps giving more and more. xx

      Delete
  3. On the top right of the calendar are 3 dots and if you click on those, the gnome calendar comes up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. xx

      Delete
    2. I must be really dim, clicked on the 3 dots but can't see it. It was there on the first day but maybe because I missed day 2 it's gone???

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda. I think it's so lovely. xx

      Delete
  5. Your days sound lovely for the lead up to Christmas ( don't mind what you call it!)
    Enjoy your tree and cosy movies - we're watching Strictly and the results this evening too.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strictly is going to have to wait until tomorrow now. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  6. I had to go back to find the gnome. I use Christmas towels here. I don't decorate the bathroom except to put out a Christmas Rubber Duck. I have a few that are themed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was well hidden but, thanks to Annabeth, I got him! I've just found today's (Sunday) too! :-)
      I love the idea of a Christmas themed rubber duck! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a really busy day! Hope you have fun putting up the tree and decorating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was busy but it was absolutely lovely, every bit of it. xx

      Delete
  8. I love your idea of a Christmas Tree day. One to remember for future years, I think. I hope you enjoyed a wonderfully festive afternoon. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really lovely day, thank you. xx

      Delete