Friday 9 December 2022

Friday: Blogmas day 9

 Good morning, everyone.  Again it's a very early start and again it's an extremely cold start to the day.  Not inside - my heating clicked in early so it isn't very cold inside, just a bit.  Usually, the night time setting is low enough for the ambient warmth to keep the heating off but I was glad of it this morning, cost or no cost.  It's too dark to really tell, but there will be a hard frost outside; out of the sun, it didn't actually thaw yesterday.

Often, this sort of cold comes with clear skies and lots of sunshine round here and yesterday was no exception.  It was lovely and sunny, very cheering and keeping the house warm as it shone through the windows.  it can carry right on doing that today!

Yesterday was a good day; I started out feeling a bit rough and by the end of the day felt loads better.  SET online was hard and I couldn't do everything but I adapted when I could and, while I didn't feel too great afterwards, I am glad I pushed through because it was as if it was a turning point and I felt more and more well as the day progressed.

After breakfast, I set off to Hobbycraft, taking in B&M and Aldi (next to each other) on the way.  I wanted a few things and what I couldn't find in B&M, Aldi had.  I'm nearly there with gifts now.

At Hobbycraft, I found the colour I was looking for and, as it was three for two and I needed two, I got an extra ball.  It was on sale so not expensive at all.
However, when I got home and started making it up, I realised it was just too thick, annoyingly, so it looks as if I should have gone for Anan weight, not chunky.
I don't think I will return the chunky - it was very cheap and one ball free, but I will have to go back and look again which is a bit of a nuisance really and won't be this week.

Then I came home and, after lunch and a bit of present wrapping and other avoidance tactics such as a bit more decorating, set to with the ironing, that much maligned ironing, and got it all done, just in time for the next lot of washing!  My fault for putting it off for so long.

I put up the snow village - just some wadding, a few wooden trees and some of my miniature cottages - and it looks OK.  It brightens up a fairly dark spot which is nice.  I had a few little lights around the edge but I don't think I will use them this year - it looks OK.  The light is really bad but you get the idea . . .


Today seems to be another busy day.  It starts off with Slimming World as usual.  Then it's home for breakfast and a quick tidy round so the cleaners don't have to work around my mess.
Lindsey very kindly deferred my personal training from Wednesday to today so I have that before the cleaners arrive.
Then this evening, I'm off to Hazel's for a spot of wreath making.  I went last year and it was great fun so when the class dates came up this year, I booked straight away.  Tomorrow, my front door will have joined the festive fun.

Well, the soup I have bubbling away in Thermione seems to be done so I'd better go and give it a good old zizz before doing an early tidy up, bath and getting dressed.  


I thought I would give Libera another play, this time with that classic, 'Walking in the Air'.  Beautiful.



20 comments:

  1. We had a gloriously sunny, albeit cold, day yesterday too. I shall look forward to seeing your wreath. Oh, and fingers crossed for a maintain for you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sooze. I don't hold out much hope but I am sure I won't be the only one - it's that time of year! :-) xx

      Delete
  2. Good morning Joy. Enjoy the wreath making but wrap up warm. It was a lovely sunny day on and off here yesterday and we had a few snow flurries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brrr - snow flurries. Cold! Keep getting better, Cherie. xx

      Delete
  3. Thank you for all the lovely Christmas music, Joy. Cold here now and we’ve had a few flurries of snow. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brrrrr - that sounds cold. It's a bit warmer here now. xx

      Delete
  4. If you're looking for anything to knit with your 3 balls of chunky, I'm making this at the moment for our 7yr old great niece: https://www.woolwarehouse.co.uk/media/freepatterns/Cygnet/Cygnet%20-%20Girls%20Chunky%20Shrug%20in%20Seriously%20Chunky%20(downloadable%20PDF).pdf
    I'm just waiting on delivery of 12mm interchangeable needle tips because I want to make it slightly larger.
    During our last U3a meeting we had mince pies, which were delicious, bought from Aldi apparently! I'm not over fond of commercial mince pies but these were really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought some from Aldi. They're in the freezer right now but it's good to know they are nice, thanks.
      Thanks also for the pattern. Is it for ballet? xx

      Delete
    2. Eerrm, haven't thought of that, I looked on it as a shrug, opposed to a shawl, but as she plays rugby it could be useful after a game I suppose.

      Delete
    3. It just looked like that cross over cardi thing that goes over their leotards in ballet lessons. It will be very useful, I am sure. xx

      Delete
  5. It was very cold this morning, I was up and dressed so I opened the curtains early ... and quickly closed them again and left the light on. It was bloody cold in that gap between curtain and window. Now that the sun is on the glass doors I can open up once again and start my day all over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, so cold. I tuck my curtains behind the radiator in my bedroom so the warm air goes into the room rather than into that cold space and drawing them is a bit of a shock right now. xx

      Delete
  6. I love your snow village, it's very pretty. I see you have your mouse nativity in your header but is it also on display in your house?

    I hope the wreathe making goes well tonight. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a mouse nativity, it's 'people'. Yes, I have it out - I have two nativities, the lovely wooden one that we have used since my two were very little and that knitted one that I made for Mum two years before she passed away.

      The wreath workshop was really lovely, thanks. xx

      Delete
  7. Sunny here yesterday and today as well. Love having the sun beat in the big windows and heat the house. Your snow village looks lovely.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jackie. It does look pretty and lightens up a dark corner. Also, it won't have to be dusted until after Christmas. LOL
      xx

      Delete
  8. That does sound like a busy day! Glad you managed to get some shopping done. I hate going out right now. It is so busy and, frankly, people annoy me sometimes. I really like the village. So festive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hate the crowds too and I hate having to be pushy. It's just not me at all. xx

      Delete
  9. The snow village is gorgeous. I would quite like to move in to one of those cottages :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very chocolate box pretty, aren't they. Mum collected them and I also had a few already. xx

      Delete