Sunday 20 November 2022

Sunday

 Morning, everyone.  It's two for the price of one today as I've just posted about today - Stir Up Sunday.  

It's damp outside; yesterday wasn't so bad but we have obviously had rain overnight and it doesn't look all that promising for today.  Also it is noticeably colder than last weekend although, to be fair, last weekend was unseasonably warm, almost like summer.

I can't say I had a lazy day yesterday because I didn't, but it felt lazy because I stayed in pjs and my long oodie all day.  It was lovely, warm and cosy!  I had planned to pop to Morrisons but I didn't so I'll probably be waiting outside at ten today!

I decided, after reading through the puff pastry recipe on Cookidoo, to make it yesterday rather than today.  It's so, so easy - you cube 200g butter and pop it in the freezer for half an hour.  Then, in the Thermomix bowl you add 200g plain flour, the hard, cubed butter and 90g cold water (plus salt but my butter was salted so I didn't bother) and give it a quick zizz.  It all comes together beautifully.  Then you tip it out and shape it into a 'brick' before wrapping it and popping it in the fridge for half an hour after which time you do the folding bit once and it's ready.  Pretty much 500g of pretty good puff (or do I mean flaky) pastry.
I did a couple more folds through the day because - you know - puff pastry and Bake Off lamination and it's all ready to use today when I make the veggie sausage rolls.  They will go straight into the freezer, uncooked, on a tray to freeze before bagging so they can be used up a few at a time.  Lovely!
Any pastry left over can also go in the freezer in squares that fit my little dishes so I can use them to top a little pie from time to time, or make an individual sausage roll, some cheese straws, etc.

I dealt with a couple more cupboards and found a whole lot of diffuser oils which I plan to try out.  If they've lost scent or I actually don't like them, they can go in the bin.  So my home is going to smell rather interesting over the next week!  I am finding that I now have room for various kitchen stuff that was sitting on the side and, as a result, the kitchen is looking so much better.

I recorded some Christmas films, mostly American, most of which seem to feature some lovely girl in an unfamiliar place, trying to do something Christmassy, helped or hindered by some rugged type hero and . . . oh, you know.
They're probably rubbish but, thankfully, they cost nothing and are easily deleted, if (when) necessary!

Strictly was good last night, I thought.  The first perfect ten (and I agreed) and some other great dances but, oh, dear, it was hard to vote.  The couple who should leave this week are a couple I don't want to see go.  I'm avoiding any spoilers - do you avoid spoilers or do you like to see who has gone before the programme?

I really enjoyed the special meal last night.  It didn't look special, it was very simple and straightforward really but it was delicious, washed down with a mini bottle of red.  Lovely!  I am so glad I have such lovely memories of my Mum and Dad.  I miss them very much but how lucky we were to have them for so long.

Today is another semi-busy day.  I must do that bit of shopping and then I will make the not sausage roll filling and leave it to chill before stirring up the Christmas pudding mixture (from East to West maybe - if I remember) and setting them to steam in Thermione.  I use a lighter recipe which doesn't take as long to cook.  It's not dark and gooey looking but it is absolutely delicious and it's now my go-to recipe.
Here it is:
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/lighter-christmas-pudding
I use Cointreau instead of rum and I adjust the fruits to allow for some cranberries too.  The fruit has been steeping in the Cointreau overnight.

The other thing I want to do is, after maybe a strong coffee, tackle the cupboard that has piles of candle in it.  I am sure I won't need to but any candles at all this year but they need organising and sorting out.

I'm looking forward to today and wish you all a lovely day too.  xx

12 comments:

  1. It's darker here now at quarter past nine than it was an hour ago! Horrible weather - I won't be going far.
    Your day sounds full of good things - have a lovely day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a contrast to last weekend, isn't it? Really not very cheerful. One can see why the festival of lights are all in the darker months. xx

      Delete
  2. Agree about Strictly - all the remaining contestants are pretty good I think.
    What is a Thermomix?
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's a question and a half. I found this online.

      "Essentially, the Thermomix is a blender that also cooks and stirs your food at adjustable temperatures and speeds. It also comes with a built-in scale, a steamer attachment, and a touchscreen that will walk you through recipes for everything from chicken cacciatore to cookie dough."

      Since that was written, it has been updated several time, via Internet connection. New functions are being added regularly. It is now a sous vide and I gather that it can now scale up or down the recipe that you want to follow which is brilliant.. It doesn't fry although you can soften stuff in oil, it doesn't pressure cook, it doesn't roast or air fry or dehydrate.
      The biggest disadvantage is that it is horrendously expensive.

      Our dear friend, Diane, who passed away recently, introduced me to the Thermomix, I bought an earlier model and was hooked for life.

      Cookidoo, which I mention from time to time, is the Thermomix recipe centre - you can download a recipe and the instructions come up on screen - eg 'Weigh 50g flour' and up come the scales so you can put in the flour and click 'done' and then the next instruction comes up.
      I use it for something pretty much every day. It's a luxury but a very, very useful one and it's something I would save in a fire, for sure.

      xx

      Delete
    2. Wow - it sounds amazing, thanks for the explanation
      Alison in Wales x

      Delete
    3. It's a very clever and useful kitchen gadget, that's for sure. It's always out, never goes away. xx

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed your special meal yesterday and hope you have had a good time making your puds today. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, very much, thanks. The puds are steaming as I type - half an hour to go. xx

      Delete
  4. Hope this comment reaches you, Joy, as none have appeared that I posted over the last few day. Glad you enjoyed your special meal. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I has, Catriona, thanks. I've been checking the Spam folder and there are no comments from you there. How annoying.

      It was a lovely meal, thanks. Nothing complicated but it tasted good. xx

      Delete
  5. I am glad you had a lovely day. Brave of you to have made your own puff pastry.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, it took less time than walking to the shop to buy some and Thermione makes easy work of it. But it is very satisfying! xx

      Delete