Sunday, 23 August 2026

Sunday, 23-08-26 and a trip to Southwold.

 Good morning, everyone, and welcome to Sunday.  Isn't it crazy how the year is just slipping away now?  It's sunny here but it was quite a chilly night and I nearly closed my bedroom window when I went to the loo at around two-ish.

Yesterday was absolutely lovely.  My tum behaved, thank goodness.  That was quite a worry as it did go a bit doolally Friday afternoon again, but it was fine.  Phew.

It wasn't 100% sunny at Southwold, there was quite a lot of cloud, but it was warm enough and when the sun came out it was very comfortable indeed.
We had a good journey there - no closed roads this time - and arrived about 9:40 ish.  I was able to access the little beach hut at ten (just before, in fact).

Outside . . . 
Inside.  Plain, simple, clean as a new pin and perfect as a base.
From the end of the pier (mine is third from the right).

And with a key even I couldn't possibly lose in my bag!


The brewery tour was, as I expected, excellent.  It was Saturday so there was no work in the actual buildings, but they were busy loading and unloading kegs.

Debbie explained the processes and then took us round the actual machinery.

Very modern-steampunk!  Very clean and shiny!

Then we went into a small bar where we had fun tasting.
I was careful - but I didn't want to opt out.  We tried eight different Adnams products - beer, ale and a lager (all very satisfying) before being given a voucher for the shop.

Last time I didn't buy anything because I would have to carry it round with me.  This time . . . I made the most of having a base.

I got a couple of cans, one of the lager which I really did like and one of Yuletide Festive Beer.  They're restyling their labels and, later on today, I'll take some photos - I do like the new labels.

As well as that, I bought a couple of wee bottles of cocktail - one lychee based and a negroni but they are no longer with us - and very nice they were too.

As well as that, I got a bottle of their Smidgin - their alcohol free gin which is quite the best alcohol free gin I have tasted.  It's also very Slimming World friendly.  I can't have any yet because it needs tonic, of course.

Then they had some beautiful tapas bowls and I fell . . .  :-)
I'll take photos later.
They sell online too - now that's very unfortunate!

After all that, I queued for absolutely ages and the Little Fish and Chip Shop for my lunch and then walked back to the hut.
It was a HUGE portion, absolutely delicious, and I brought more than half home and had it with the cocktails.

Taken earlier in the day - see, we did get some sunshine!



Finally, I walked along the beach, down the pier and had an ice cream (you have to, don't you) before packing up, dropping off the key and getting back on the coach!

Just a really lovely day by the sea.


I started today by picking loads of tomatoes.  I didn't pick any yesterday, of course.  So they need dealing with.

I've started Lindsey's sourdough.  This time it is a mainly white one (the starter is rye) because her son is home for a week and he really likes my white sourdough.

So I starting making the dough and found I didn't have enough strong white.  Never mind, loads of people use all purpose for their bread, so I added that.  Still not enough.  I had to top it up to 500g with some pasta flour!!  However, half way through the stretch and folds, it's making a lovely dough so fingers crossed.
And I feel a visit to Marriage's Mill coming on soon.

I'm hoping to pop round to Beth's this afternoon with her bread and some tomatoes.  That will be nice.
Around that, I have the house to tidy, meals to make, tomatoes to deal with and some chilling time.
And then I need to consider packing for Spain because this time in a fortnight, we will be on the plane.  

And my tum is fine, absolutely fine.  Phew!
Have a lovely Sunday, everyone


1 comment:

  1. What a lovely day out and the beach hut was do cute! Glad your stomach has settled and you were able to enjoy some seaside food. Catriona

    ReplyDelete