After not having that many issues with the heatwaves this summer, Thursday and yesterday were not good. I felt quite unwell and ended up doing very little apart from grabbing whatever was easiest for food and drinking loads of water. I am very thankful that earlier in the year I was 'influenced' into getting a counter top ice cube maker. It seemed a Good Idea at the time and, my word, hasn't it earned its space over recent weeks! An impulse purchase that has paid dividends.
It feels fresher this morning and the predicted temperature is forecast to drop by about 10 degrees from yesterday - fingers crossed. I'm feeling loads better this morning - not 100% but so much better so phew!
I'm guessing most of you in the UK got the government alarm yesterday evening. My phone Bluetooths to my hearing aids so it was a real shock and, for several seconds I wondered what on earth it was! Still - a good use of the system for any people lacking in enough common sense to realise that wildfires are a big threat right now and to play with fire related stuff (fireworks??? Who would let off fireworks at the moment?) or tossing lit cigarette butts out of car windows is not a particularly wise thing to do!
And that's an understatement, isn't it? xx
And that's an understatement, isn't it? xx
I thought my cucumbers were pretty much past it but, after three weeks of not a lot, the mini cucumber has decided to throw out five or six babies, all pretty much from the same point. The full sized cucumber plant seems to have given up now but we will see. They've been great this year so no complaints,
The flower bed is also getting raggedy but there's loads of blooms as well. This is one of the dahlias that I thought was lost while the other is just starting to bud. The Japanese anemonies are also looking very pretty.
I also have some big clusters of Autumn fruiting raspberries, the tomatoes are giving generously and the lone pear is still there and getting bigger. Not bad for a small growing space - could do better but it's OK.
It's worth all the watering, for sure!
I'm taking things very gently today.
How are you all, if you're living under this unaccustomed heat. I know people have it a lot worse but we're just not accustomed to it, either in body or in infrastructure. Maybe we will have to over the coming decades . . .
Stay safe, everyone, and be careful. xx



I know how you feel Joy as I was unwell on Thursday and Friday. I can’t seem to do anything without feeling exhausted. I managed some ironing yesterday and that’s all put away now. Catriona
ReplyDeleteIt's really utterly draining, this heat, isn't it. So, so much nicer today, thank goodness. I hope you're feeling better too. xx
DeleteWasnt expecting the alarm nearly gave me a heart attack i thought it meant that a fire was imminent and might
ReplyDeleteneeded to evacuate. Scared me so much . I rang my daughter to ask her what i should do!. So nervous already think there must be a better wayto do it like a public announcement seemsvit scared loads of us
I guess it is because it rarely happens. A text might have been wiser but at least it got the message out, I guess.
DeleteI deleted it before reading it properly which was a bit silly of me, and online I could only get it in Welsh. Fortunately, it was all over Facebook and it was what I thought it was. xx