Thursday 8 September 2022

Thursday

 Good morning, everyone.  We've had more rain overnight and also yesterday evening although I had the curtains drawn so didn't see how much, I just realised it was raining.  It also feels pretty cool and fresh although my thermometer tells me it's around 14C which isn't that cool really.
The ongoing forecast, according to the Beeb, is looking autumnal - bit of sun, bit of cloud, bit of rain, changeable sort of stuff.  OK by me!  :-)

Sorry about yesterday.
All of this week I haven't felt 100%.  Monday's circuits was very hard going and I wondered if I was brewing something.  Tuesday's Groove session was OK but I wasn't pushing it through as usual.  Add to that the fact that I've not been sleeping particularly well and - crash! 
I don't know what it was but I know what it wasn't because I've tested and no second red line so that's OK!

Yesterday wasn't great - I slept an awful lot, ate rubbish comfort carbs all day, felt a bit hotty-cold and generally didn't do anything useful or productive because I felt rubbish.  I did get my Facebook admin duties done (better late than never) but just didn't have the mental energy for blogging - so really sorry to you all.
However, I slept like a log all night long and feel so much more myself again this morning.  It's lovely!

On Tuesday, I made that plum jam.  Four Bonne Maman sized jars of utter deliciousness.  I'm hoping Chris will take one of them as thanks for the apples and plums she has given me and the rest will go into the top shelf for using as and when.  A spoonful will be lovely in porridge or yogurt.

I had a text from Tracy, my new nextdoor neighbour.  They've been considering their tree, a beautiful silver birch that hangs over my garden and provides some very welcome shade in the hot and sunny weather.  She said they are concerned how much it's leaning my way (prevailing wind, etc) and how big it is getting.  After a nice chat, they are getting someone to come and basically give it a good haircut; I'm so glad they are not having it out.  It's a beautiful tree and I would miss it terribly.  It should have been controlled quite a long time ago really - I've cut it back my side several times to stop the ends of the branches hitting my shed roof.
I offered to share the cost as I will benefit from this just as much as they will but they very kindly said no thanks, it was their tree and their responsibility.


See what I mean.  It is too big really and could maybe be cut to half that size, making it lots safer without detracting from its general attractiveness and shading qualities.

Later, I got another text letting me know that it will be done some time next week - quick work!!  I gave permission for the tree surgeon to come into my garden, if needed, and there we go.  

I'm VERY glad it will be much more compact before the Autumn storms start.











On to today and no more whinges, I'm going over to Chris' at nine (at her request this time) for our catch up.  Then the day is clear until three which is when Lindsey rescheduled my personal training for after I cancelled yesterday.  She is so flexible like that and I was very grateful.  I'll let her know I'm not necessarily back to 100% energy and I know she will adapt things accordingly.  I won't be stupid, I promise, but I do need to go - I need to get moving and stretching!

The rest of the day will be spent in getting stuff done that I didn't get done on Tuesday and yesterday and, probably, resting.  I don't want to crash again.

A bit of info needed, please.
I've noticed that my Kindle isn't taking a full charge any more so it's perhaps time to get another Kindle.  I was umming and ahing about getting one of the Kindle Fires and my question is this.  I know a Fire is more than just a reader, it's more like an iPad sort of thing but - you can still read books using it, can you?  That would be its prime purpose, you see.
Fingers crossed the answer it in the positive.

Have a super day, everyone.  It's nice to be blogging again; I did miss it yesterday.  xx


32 comments:

  1. kindle fire is really good but i would hold on until 'Black Friday' i got a really good deal on mine last year ! glad to see you back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But it does act as an e-reader, doesn't it?
      Thanks for the advice - I had forgotten about Black Friday - they do often have good deals, providing that's what you actually want. I'll do a bit of trawling, so they know I'm looking!!
      xx

      Delete
    2. It does work asn an e-reader:)

      Delete
  2. Hope you continue to feel better, Joy. Silver birches are lovely trees, but yes that one is getting a bit too big.....marvellous to have neighbours who take responsibility seriously. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, Sooze. They seem to see me as the 'dear old thing' next door. I'm not a dear old thing but have no objections to being seen as one - lol xx

      Delete
  3. "my thermometer tells me it's around 14C which isn't that cool really." In my world, that is almost freezing :-) (I'm in Ballarat, about an hour and a half north west or so from Melbourne, Australia). Ballarat tends to be colder than Melbourne and wetter. It's in the foothills of the Great Dividing Range. Our overnight mid-winter temperature is around 0-5d, but 14d as a daytime temp is cold as far as I am concerned. We are moving into spring now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all comparative, isn't it? In winter, 14C would be almost summer!!
      Hoping you have a lovely Spring . . . xx

      Delete
  4. Glad you are back Joy. I missed you yesterday and wondered if you were ok.
    Good news that you are feeling more yourself today. The silver birch is a lovely tree but it can grow quite big can't it.
    I remember years ago the council wanted to plant trees in our road, which is also where my parents lived when they were alive. They gave residents the choice of trees and the silver birch was one of them. The one outside where they lived is very tall now and the council have done nothing to manage it since. What nice,thoughtful neighbours you have though Joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right; I'm very lucky.
      It's also good that the council here does seem to manage their trees on a reasonably regular basis. Not every year but it seems to come around every five years or so. xx

      Delete
  5. Yes it is an e-reader. And I surf the net, look at blogs and respond to them with the keypad. Watch YouTube (flosstube). Videos, catchup tv. Take photo's, play games (dangerous), run my calendar. I have Zoom loaded and there are lots of apps which will run on it. Can you tell I love my Fire. And it is cheaper than an ipad. There are some things it won't do, but I have a laptop for that. And this is much more portable. You can also plug in headphones.
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean. I have a connector to bluetooth connect my hearing aids, which is really helpful.
      I've had a little look and yes, it is so much cheaper . . . xx

      Delete
  6. Yes Joy it is a reader as well as a tablet. I use mine to search Cookidoo and then take it into the kitchen as a useful tool instead of having to jump about on Thermie. I also listen to Audible, watch tv and e-mail. As already suggested wait for black Friday for a deal !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Caslass, I'm pretty much decided now after reading all these helpful comments. And yes, definitely I will wait for Black Friday. It will be the first Black Friday, I think, that I have actually directly wanted something as opposed to just looking to see.
      xx

      Delete
  7. Isn't it funny when someone from a younger generation view us older ones as
    ' dear old things ' I always want to say " take a good look cos this is you one day "
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely!! It makes me smile and Chris and I had a good chuckle about it this morning. Not such a bad thing really, is it, when the neighbours are so nice. xx

      Delete
  8. Yes, it is a reader as well. I read all my Kindle books on my phone now it saves me having to keep remembering to charge my tablet.

    I'm glad that tree is being trimmed rather than felled, you're right it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my phone screen is too small really but I'd be lost without my Kindle. xx

      Delete
  9. I'm glad to see you are around today Joy. It's always a worry when a regular blogger just disappears, even briefly. I'm ready for a new laptop but wondered whether an ipad or similar would be enough for my needs these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cherie.
      There's such a lot of choice nowadays, isn't there? It can be bewildering. xx

      Delete
  10. I was worried by your absence yesterday so, while I'm sorry to hear that you were unwell, I am relieved to see you back online today.

    I can't help with your Kindle question as I use a Kindle Paperwhite and have never looked at what the Kindle Fire has to offer.

    I'm glad the tree is staying. It'll look so much better once it's cut back and you'll still have the benefit of the shade.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eileen, that's lovely of you. I'm feeling so much better again today, thankfully.
      xx

      Delete
  11. I love my Fire because you can use it as a tablet, but I also have a Paperwhite as the screen on the Fire is the type that you can't see in sunlight - and I do like to read outside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah - thanks - something to think about . . . xx

      Delete
  12. I liked the Queen…liked her Cmas Day speeches

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never known any other monarch and pretty much the whole country will say the same. She will be sorely missed.
      Thanks, Brenda. xx

      Delete
  13. That tree is sure rather large and definitely needs a good trimming. I don't have a Kindle Fire, but have heard great things about it. Yes it can be used as an ereader as that what Kindles started out as.
    The Queen will be missed by many.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed she will, Jackie. I'm very sorry our new Prime Minister won't have the benefit of her wisdom and decades of experience. xx

      Delete
  14. Her gorgeous suits…lovely hats…Purse…Paddington Bear with her. Smile seem around the word. Respected

    ReplyDelete
  15. can you find someone to replace the battery?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would need to go off to Amazon and, yes, I will be asking their customer services.

      Delete