Saturday 13 August 2022

Saturday

Today's garden happy - I love a birthday gift that keeps on giving and these have been beautiful for very little effort on my part.


Good morning, everyone.  Sun shining, etc, same as usual.  I am liking the much cooler nights very much indeed.

Well, we had a bit of drama yesterday.
This came through on Twitter:

We're currently at the scene of a large field fire near Hollow Lane in Broomfield with 14 crews at the scene.
If you live nearby, please keep your windows and doors shut.
Please avoid the area while we deal with this incident.
We'll share updates when we can.

So, obviously, I went out the back to take a look because it's just across the road and field (quite a big field, thankfully) and there were sirens and police cars and fire engines galore and the roads to Hollow Lane were blocked, obviously, including the main road that leads to a lot of housing.  Tough on those coming home from work and, I should think, havoc trying to get in and out of town.

Equally obviously, I took a photo across the field as you do (terrible, isn't it).  It had calmed down a lot by the time I took this, having been burning for quite a while, so there's not much to see - I did idly wonder why there was so much siren noise!


Those trees are at the edge of the road that goes past where I live - I took this from in front of my garage.
Shortly after taking it, the smoke died down even more.

As there's not much to see, here's a link to a video clip that was taken by someone in one of the much closer houses earlier on - much too close for comfort, I would say.
(sorry, there are adverts first)
https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/broomfield-fire-people-evacuated-homes-7458130
This morning, it just smells very smoky, inside and out.  Quite a nice smell as it was stubble, etc, that was burning, not anything noxious.

Sometimes I wonder if my life is too boringly mundane but this is the sort of drama we could all do well without, isn't it?  Thank goodness for the police and fire brigade who came out in force and did a brilliant job in baking heat.

As I mentioned in comments yesterday, Dave and Anna were unable to come over last night for supper so we have rescheduled for a fortnight.  Fortunately, everything I had prepared was freezable so it will be very trouble free next time.
Slimming World was good.  Another loss and that's the recent emotional eating gain sorted out now.
The cleaners came much earlier to avoid the heat so by the afternoon I had a clear run at the rest of the day.  Suffice it to say, I was very lazy.

I'm going to carry on being lazy too.  The only thing in the diary is afternoon tea with the girls in J's garden.  I'm taking the jam and the Beth-friendly sausage rolls I made, as well as a bit of thick cream I may as well take and add to the feast to use it up.  Really looking forward to this - it is so nice to be resuming our girly times together.
Well, it's Saturday so it's lotsa coffee morning and I need to make another one.
Have a lovely day today - are you staying in and avoiding the heat or being adventurous and going out somewhere.  Take care and, whatever your plans, have fun!  xx

16 comments:

  1. That's scary, way too close for comfort and yes, most definitely the sort of drama we can do without.

    I hope you have a lovely afternoon tea with your gang and that there is plenty of shade in J's garden. I'm staying in and avoiding the sun and much as I can! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is, thanks, she has a great big gazebo (with sides, if needed) over the table so we will be very shaded. xx

      Delete
  2. Thank goodness all that stubble didn't go up in flames. A fire crew was dousing a grass verge on the dual carriageway not too far from us the other night as we headed to the coast. It's scary to see how fast it can spread. Have a lovely weekend and enjoy that afternoon tea. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, before I was aware what was going on, the local farmers were out, dampening down the areas around the actual fire. Not sure how but that's what it said. And thank goodness there was no wind worth speaking of.
      We really do need some rain, don't we?
      xx

      Delete
  3. What a drama definitely too close for comfort . Although I can remember when it was a farmers usual practice ,once the corn was harvested, to burn the stubble as the ash fertilised the field . -probably didn't do the environment any good .
    Hope you have a lovely meal tonight .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that too - it caused some dangerous situations at times, sometimes connected to thick smoke drifting across roads and causing visibility problems.
      Thanks, Jane. I am really looking forward to it. xx

      Delete
  4. This drought is causing a lot of problems isn't it, I hate to see so many fires burning and so many people having to work so hard to bring things under control. You can tell I have people in both the fire and police services in the family can't you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is, and people are still lighting barbecues, etc. It's daft. The services were fantastic yesterday - you must find it hard at times. xx

      Delete
  5. We had a tree come down yesterday near us just missing power lines and fortunately not falling into the road - the council responded very quickly and it will be checked daily until it's cleared ( it's leaning precariously on another tree) can't be easy for workers being on call in these conditions but they dealt with it very cheerfully

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for them - any outside working must be really tough at the moment. I'm glad the tree didn't do too much harm, Alison. xx

      Delete
  6. One night not too long ago I heard sirens and not thinking much about them drifted back off to sleep. Here there was a very bad accident just down the hill from us. Two people dead in a head on collision. I didn't learn about it until just yesterday.

    I am glad that your fire brigade and the police got things under control so quickly.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no - what a terrible thing to happen. Indeed, that was bad. xx

      Delete
  7. So glad you are okay despite the smoke. While I was at my sister's there was a huge fire over in the next estate. We could see the smoke and hear the fire alarms. I think everything is so dry right now the fires are a horrible side effect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus that some fools think it is OK to play with fire in this kind of weather - bbqs and the like.
      We have been forecast rain on Monday which, assuming nit comes, should be a great relief. xx

      Delete
  8. The fire must have been very worrying, being so close to you. Fingers crossed for some rain very soon.
    Afternoon tea sounds lovely. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I missed the worst. I've seen some photos my neighbour took and you can see fire in that field - by the time I realised, it was just smoking. The air still smells smoky though, especially morning and evening. xx

      Delete