Thursday 4 March 2021

Thursday

 Good morning, everyone.  It was a chilly day yesterday and, keeping the heating down prior to Matt's visit, it was a three clothing layer morning.  We didn't have rain until the afternoon and it's still raining now which is a pain as the allotment will be super-muddy again, bother it!

Looking ahead, via Beeb weather, it's not looking wonderful.  Not much sunshine and a few nights where temperatures fall below freezing.  That's going to sort out any early blossom, isn't it, like that on the cherry plum at the end of the allotment.  This happens almost every year; Beth can only remember one occasion when it actually got round to bearing fruit.
I'm wondering when I will next go down.  Possibly this afternoon, if the rain stops, just to get those broad beans sown but maybe tomorrow would be better.  

Not to worry, the garden is starting to show a bit of colour as the larger bulbs bud and start to open.


Matt turned up and an hour later I had fully functioning central heating again.  I can't remember if I said that the problem was that the radiators were staying on all the time. regardless of what boiler and thermostat dictated and I was extremely thankful that I had invested in individual thermostats for each radiator because that's how I've been controlling them for the past week or so.  It worked, it was OK, but a bit of a bore; remembering to turn them up each morning was dictated by how it felt but remembering to turn them down again was harder.  Goodness knows that the bill for heating will be like but never mind, all sorted now.

I was also concerned about boiler cover.  It's covered for several years but has to be serviced every year.  Because of Covid and Matt only doing emergencies for a while as his wife is extremely vulnerable, the service didn't get done last year.  However, he explained that the insurers had been in touch with him to say that providing a service was done and then another one later in the year as would be usual, it would be fine.  So I've had last year's done now and will have this year's at the usual time, around August/September time.  I'm glad I asked about it.

Later on in the day I had a good old chat with Val and we both looked forward to when we can meet face to face in the garden or park.  Won't that be great.

Today isn't too full - I have the Thursday chat with Chris and then nothing much until Zoom SW at half five.  However, I do have a house that needs attention so no excuses to be idle!  Have a great day, whatever the weather, and stay happy and positive.

xx

14 comments:

  1. Some lovely spring flowers in your garden, spring is here albeit chilly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really has turned cold again, hasn't it? The heating is back up again this evening.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Nice to know that your boiler is back to working okay and will have it's regular service ... and even more importantly still be covered on the insurance. The boiler here at the flat has a mind of it's own, and it's easiest to turn it off completely at bedtime and then put it back on when I wake up. Luckily I like to sleep in a cold environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They a warm bed in a cold room is the best. Boilers can be very confusing at times.
      xx

      Delete
  3. I had the same worries about my boiler guarantee but was given the same assurance which is a relief. I just have to book another service for March/April and then I will be up to date.

    Your bulbs are looking good. Hope you enjoy the rest of your day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good that they are making allowances for the unusual circumstances. It's been a lovely day, thanks.
      xx

      Delete
  4. It is quite dismal here;cloudy and damp but no rain which would be the best for our park. I call it the extension of our garden as it is just over the road :-) Glad you got your heating sorted and your home is cosy warm now. Daffodils so lovely to see ...don't get them here so its something I miss. What is the purple flower? keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a hyacinth and you get them in all sorts of shades of pick and blue/lilac as well as white and yellow. They are so pretty, I think, and have a lovely fragrance.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Glad it's all sorted. It's turned cold again hasn't it. Not gardening weather at all but give it a couple more weeks and you won't be able to keep us (we)? gardeners indoors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to those days. It'll be nice to have some more reliably fine weather.
      xx

      Delete
  6. Beautiful flowers in your garden.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jackie. Spring flowers are very attractive, aren't they?
      xx

      Delete
  7. How lovely to see flowers in the garden! I am counting down the days. I keep hoping to see some daffodils poking up where I take my morning walk. It's a nature preserve but used to be a asylum for the mentally ill and they planted loads of daffodils that still grow years later! None to be seen yet though. There is still lots of snow and ice in some places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really lifts my spirits to look out and see the bulbs and the leaf buds and all the little shoots. Spring is definitely sprunging round here.
      When they come, those daffodils will be a picture!
      xx

      Delete