Sunday 18 October 2020

Sunday

 Good morning, everyone.  It's early and dark (where did summer go?) and the clocks go back next weekend (it is next weekend, isn't it?) but inside it feels safe and cosy.  A lovely feeling.
I did sleep a bit better, thank you for all the lovely comments.  I felt a bit 'odd' last night - not poorly, but 'windy' and uncomfortable and I wonder if it is a bit of a reaction to the penicillin I am currently taking.  It's fine this morning so no worries.

After a slow start to the day, I set off to Hyde Hall, arriving bang on checking in time.  Earlier, I had fired off an email to let them know that Suzanne wasn't able to come, in case someone else needed that space.  I'm rather glad they didn't because when I checked in, both of us had been taken off the list, not just Suzanne, although I did specifically say I'd still be there.  Never mind, the lady was very pleasant and there were no problems.

I had a gorgeous time wandering up the hill, round the gardens and slowly down again.  It wasn't sunny, sadly, so the autumn colours were rather muted, but there was plenty to see and enough people about to make it feel sociable, even with distancing.

Of course, I had to finish my visit with a trip to the shop and I was so pleased that they have their square based pyramid Advent Candles back in again.  They are perfect for the holders I made at pottery in 2019 (how long ago that seems now) and I bought one with the numbers on and another with just a Christmas design.  I saw no outstandingly 'must have' decorations but there were some Christmas cards with 'Joy' on the front so I got a few packs.  In past years I haven't sent many cards, making a charitable donation instead, but I think this year cards might matter a bit more.
I will still donate, of course.

As I drove away, car heater on to warm me up (it was quite chilly), out came the sun.  How frustrating was that!  I was well out of my checking in slot so no way could I turn back and, in fact, it disappeared again after ten minutes or so anyway.

The rest of the afternoon was spent sorting things out for dinner, for Sunday lunch today and chilling in front of the telly.  I've now caught up with a number of programmes I missed while on holiday.
I enjoyed Strictly although it is, obviously, very different, there were some very heavy handed Covid references and the squeals and shrieks of both celebrities and professionals didn't really compensate for the lack of pace caused by the necessity to distance.  There's some interesting partnerships this year, however, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it all develops.

Today, Beth is round for lunch.  I've not seen her for a while so I'm very much looking forward to a good chat and catch-up.  Apart from that, there's very little on the 'to do' list - which doesn't mean there's nothing to do, of course!!


There's no tuition planning - no tuition this week which feels odd, like a half term.  The following week there wouldn't be too much anyway because it will be hall term and then maybe one more week and the restrictions might lift again if this is indeed just a 'circuit breaker' and it works.  I'm placing no bets though.  Time alone will tell.

I'm still planning for Christmas, mind you.  I don't mean getting things like biscuits, etc in, I mean I will be making The Cake and The Pudding and the turkey is already ordered.  The first two keep and the last can freeze so why not?

Well, better get another coffee.  Have a great day, have fun and be safe.  xx



8 comments:

  1. I'm planning for a solo Christmas but haven't bought anything special yet because it'd get eaten before the big day!!

    Enjoy your catch up with Beth. How is Alex managing at Uni with the Covid restrictions - I hope he's okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto re special food. I'll do all that sort of shopping in the last week. Anything I get as pressies will get wrapped up pronto so out of sight, out of mind.
      Al seems to be doing OK, thanks. There have been some cases at uni but the authorities seem to be dealing with things very efficiently and safely. He's not stressing too much which is good.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Not sure what the holidays will bring in U.S. Don't really concern myself...we are in such turmoil here and have had such personal losses. Love your blog...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard all over, isn't it? Take care and thank you.
      xx

      Delete
  3. It's going to be a strange Christmas this year I think. W aren't making any plans for who and how many yet but we always have plenty in so there is always room for dinner guests if we get them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to go bright and sparkly, if you know what I mean. Sort of warm and welcoming; candles and colour. Hopefully I will be able to share with immediate local family but time will tell.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Christmas will be different, I suppose, but still, I am looking forward to it. I've got the presents tucked away for my grandchildren, and am actively shopping for the children. I lost my job, in large part due to covid, but you know, I'm quite happy being unemployed. It is certainly different though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry about the job, Debby, but it's nice that you are happy about the situation. It is different, I agree, very different. Take care.
      xx

      Delete