Thursday 1 October 2020

Thursday

 Good morning.  A clear, square, simple font today.  It's called 'Rubik' and I can see why.  There should be no difficulties with this one, I think (and hope).

Well, first things first - pinch and punch for the first of the month and no returns!  :-)
I'm finding it hard to believe that it's really October.  The tenth month of the year, the month of clock change, falling leaves, storms, lengthening nights, increasingly filtered sunshine, holidays  and two birthdays.

Both Mum and Beth had/have their birthdays this month.  Beth's expected date was actually on Mum's birthday but she decided to hold on another week.  I sorted out her gift when I saw her earlier this week so that's really all done and dusted - I have sent over the cash and she will get the item.  I'm hoping she can come over for a nice meal and stay the night so a bottle can be opened.  Normally she'd be meeting up with friends but in this current situation that would be neither desirable or wise and Beth, with her health issues, is not stupid nor is she careless.  Fingers crossed we will be allowed to get together by then but if not, then another time.

Ever since I retired, I have taken great delight in going on holiday in October.  It's a sort of 'yah, boo, to you' kind of thing and always makes me smile to think that I am no longer chained to school holidays.  It's become a sort of tradition and my fingers are crossed that it will still happen, given that restrictions can be imposed at a moment's notice (and fair enough).
I'm working out my own safety measures for next week - basically always wearing a mask indoors (which is now legal anyway), staying away from others and being outside (weather permitting) as much as I can.  I'm going away on my own and have no expectation of mixing with any other groups so it should be fine.
However, as a precautionary thing, I won't be stopping off at Dad's on the way home and I will be leaving a fortnight before I next visit him.  We both agree that this is the best thing to do.

Yesterday more or less went according to plan with one extra - son, Dave, popped round for coffee and a chat which was lovely.  I got lots of bits and bobs done and have more or less sorted out the clothes I need to pack - I won't actually put them in the case until tomorrow morning.  I finalised things with the house sitter so that's all OK.  Personal training was great and tuition was enjoyable.  All in all, it was a super day.

Today is very much more of the same.
I have a list of Things To Do which include clearing out the fridge and cutting the rest of the tomatoes, ripe or not.  They will just have to sit in a couple of plastic trays and ripen for the house sitter, S, to go at during the week.  Any that don't ripen will go into some sort of chutney.

Eileen and anyone else interested - I used the Kekue microwave grill to make a breakfast toastie (bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms and cheese) yesterday and it was great.  Dead easy and delicious.  So far, so good.  I'm using it again this evening to cook some steak and will let you know.


Have a lovely day on this first of October.  I'm looking forward to reading what Sue (My Quiet Life) says about it - I love her month info posts.
Here's the link:
https://attheendofasuffolklane.blogspot.com/2020/10/october-2020.html



8 comments:

  1. Oh dear, don't think you should have linked up to my post this month as I ran out of time to do very much so it's only a short one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's lovely - I always enjoy them!
      xx

      Delete
  2. The microwave toaster looks like it can do the job, so one may have been ordered for this home. Oooh, toasties for lunch, can't wait!

    I totally get what you mean about a holiday in term time. The hotel sounds great and I hope you have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot easier and cleaner than using a toasted sandwich maker; quicker too, I think. I hope you're as happy with it as I am.
      I'm sure you know exactly what I mean - there's something slightly 'naughty' about a holiday in term time, isn't there. It's a nice feeling and I hope I never lose it. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  3. Oh my! That toastie looks amazing, and to think I've only just finished eating my lunch :) I understand what you mean about being chained to school holidays. I've a few more years of that to look forward to. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this particular impulse buy will work out really well. It's small too - easy to store away!
      I guess you have - but one day . . .
      xx

      Delete
  4. I have a good recipe for green tomato chutney (from a friend) and I will put it on my blog in a day or two, should you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your toastie looks very good. It has made me hungry.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete