Sunday 23 December 2018

Sunday

Good morning, everyone

Yesterday was quite busy but really very pleasant as well as being beautifully sunny and mild.  I did Mum and Dad's washing, got the turkey ready, boiled up the giblets for stock to go into the gravy, made the stuffing and generally got ahead because today is Christmas Day here.  :-)

It's a happy compromise for us which is working well.

When I unpacked the box containing the turkey I thought it looked somewhat large so I did the trick of weighing myself and then again with the turkey.  I was right - it's around a kilo heavier than I ordered.  I'm glad I know because it does make a difference to the cooking time.
I generally find that with Kelly turkeys; they are not stingy with their weights.  It's the one time that we always splash out on meat because they are so delicious and, as a family, we just love doing things with the leftovers so want plenty of them.  Mum and Dad's favourite is a turkey soup/casserole thingy and I have promised Dad a big bowl of it, some for a meal straight away and some for the freezer for another time.  I'm planning curry and various other SW friendly meals.  And finally I boil up the carcass and freeze some of the stock, very much reduced, to start off the gravy for the next Christmas.  Works for me!

What do you do with your turkey leftovers (if you have them, of course)?

Today's Advent offering is another John Rutter carol, a very beautiful one called Nativity Carol.  It's another I have sung in the dim and distant past and have loved ever since.  It's sung, of course, by the incomparable King's College Choir.


9 comments:

  1. Happy Christmas Day! 🎅🎅🎅

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to get plenty of meals from that turkey (and thank goodness you thought to check the weight.) Have a lovely day. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very Happy Christmas to you and yours and thanks for the carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't know that Carol at all so Thank you
    Enjoy that turkey in whichever guise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We don't have any Turkey sagas apart from the one year I cooked one when my MIL and FIL came for Christmas and I swore never again (and I probably swore too). Give me my Nut Loaf anytime for me it is much more predictable and didn't excite the cat in the least! Enjoy your festive feast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make a sort of turkey/ham cottage pie, starting with a half milk/half water bechamel sauce,sometimes just thickened with cornflour if I really feel good, add a chopped and sweated shallot, good handful of frozen peas and lots of chopped parsley, diced turkey and ham next until just heated through. Check seasoning. Topped with a potato/carrot/parsnip mash to which I added a generous amount of grated nutmeg. Brown under the grill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy the feast with your parents today-it’s lovely that you cook and they enjoy their food still. I am having a last sewing day and the a house blitz. Happy day. PS We just have a turkey jpint from M and S so there isn’t really any waste.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love a turkey and stuffing sandwich but there's usually enough to also do turkey & mushrooms in a peppercorn sauce....so yummy and always goes down well. If there is still more then I might make a turkey, leek and potato bake.This year my son is also bringing a gammon joint.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't do anything with left over turkey as my family doesn't like it, so we always have something else for Christmas dinner, however when I was young my Dad's turkey stew and turkey curry were legendary!

    ReplyDelete