Friday 2 April 2021

Friday

 Good morning!  After a very dull and boring start, yesterday cheered up no end and by late morning we had sunshine.  The Beeb tells me that today I can expect 'light cloud and a moderate breeze' which means the sun might very well break through at some point.

I started yesterday off with a trip to what used to be Wyvale and I can never remember what it's called now.  The plants seem as good as they ever were and inside they have been canny and started to sell some 'essentials' in food, just in case!  It seemed pretty busy but it's a large plot and everyone was distancing well.  I found a nice birthday card for Jackie and a 'spring planted', basically a large pot with a selection of plants in it.  I hope Jackie likes it - I nearly bought two, one for me!

Once the sun had emerged, I trundled over to the allotment with strimmer and mower in the back.  There were a number of people working happily on their plot and they're a friendly bunch, all waving to each other as they pass by.
I strimmed and mowed.  For ten worrying minutes, I thought I had a problem with the mower as it didn't seem to be cutting.  I lowered the blades and, no, no cutting.  After checking that nothing was jamming or anything, I finally realised that I had raised the blades, not lowered them  Doh!  Anyway, the grass is cut now and shouldn't need doing again for a week or so.

It was so nice there, I didn't want to go straight home, so I got out the fork and went over one of the beds to mix in the chicken poo manure I scattered the other day.  I think the early work is paying off as there are fewer nasty/invasive weeds coming up this year and I managed to clear a daring few that were presuming to show their ugly heads above ground.  I meant to do about half the bed but ended up doing the lot.

Here you go - an exciting picture of a dug over bed to thrill you!















I took a good look at everything.  All the pansies have survived and are sending out flower buds.  There are now five broadies showing now, lots of raspberry canes just emerging and plenty of rhubarb so I have to decide whether I want crumble or cobbler for Sunday dessert, or I suppose I could Google for ideas - 101 things to do with rhubarb!!

As you can see from the new banner at the top, the plum is blossoming beautifully, just in time for the predicted frost to kill it all off again.  The pear is also budding beautifully although that seems much more resilient and frost doesn't seem to cause any damage.  The apples blossom in May rather than April.  I've arranged to meet with Beth tomorrow to get fleece over the plum and, just in case, over the pear tree too.  And the newly planted out strawberries although, again, they should be OK as strawberries usually survive our winters.


Spring is such a pretty time of year!

The Slimming World Zoom meeting was good fun again.  It will be nice to get back face to face (Jen's hoping mid May but that's not definite yet) but I have to admit, I will miss these Zoom meetings where I can hear everyone much more clearly.

I had a another practise at the cat and background for that cushion Beth wants me to make, working on the granny squares.  I wasn't sure about the tension but noticed that the pattern gives an alternative that, I think, works better with the mainly acrylic yarn I will be working with.  We've decided that I will do the actual crochet and sewing but Beth will do the faces and features.  I am relieved; I have precious little design sense and am as likely to get it wrong as right whereas she is brilliant at that sort of thing (but can't crochet to save her life!)

Today, I am off to Jackie's for garden coffee and to take her birthday and Christmas presents.  I don't think it will feel all that warm so will be taking my duffle coat as well as a warm cardigan.

In the afternoon, the cleaners come.  I think that, if the weather is anything like pleasant, I will get out of their way and pop down the allotment.  I can always do a bit more digging and the table and benches at the back need a good clear out.  I could also start building some of the cane frames for plant support - the runner beans and the mange tout, for example, and the sweet pea wigwam(s) - they're not needed yet but it just reinforces that I am 'doing something'.  Must remember to take my fold up footstool with me.
I'm also thinking of sowing some purple sprouting broccoli seeds today.  The pack says sow now, plant out July/August (there will be room by then) and start harvesting in February.  It will be nice to have something fresh in winter and broccoli is a great favourite with us all.

Time to get going. I need to tidy up my corner of the room and put a few things away before driving over to Jackie.  I have plenty of time but won't, if I dilly dally.
Are you doing anything special for Good Friday?  xx


Edit:  Wyvale is now called Longacres!



12 comments:

  1. Morning, Joy. Plots coming on nicely, feels good to be doing stuff. I don't usually comment on this blog but what a great idea to take folding footstool to the plot. I've just bought one to use in the garden to get in and out of a large raised we have. Never thought how handy it could be at the allotment, thank you. Hope you're well x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to be of help! :-)
      I'm good, thanks. xx

      Delete
  2. There is nothing like a well tended vegetable patch, so inviting!

    I used to make this rhubarb fool a lot, it's delicious: https://app.ckbk.com/recipe/robe21467c20s001r009/rhubarb-fool It is a Robert Carrier recipe from his cookery 'tomb' I was given as a wedding present!

    Your duffle coat and extra cardigan made me chuckle, you and me both, I'm off to an in garden KnitterNatter, the first since December. I've put on a vest and woolly socks. I shall sweltering by the time I walked there, it's hilly around here, but will soon get chilled after, wonder whether I should take a hot water bottle to put under my coat! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was jolly cold, despite the coat, but we had a good chat.
      I hope you enjoyed your KnitterNatter
      xx

      Delete
  3. I do hope you're successful in protecting the plum this year ... nothing better than freshly picked fruit straight from the tree, and plum jam is my favourite.

    It's much colder here and the heating has gone back on this morning. I'm lucky in that the majority of my online sessions will continue post lockdown. The only one that won't will be the choir and we are hopeful that we will be able to resume in-person practices from September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the fleece didn't come but should be delivered today. The frost warning has receded to over Monday night now. Fingers are crossed they we can cover the trees tomorrow.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Your garden plots look lovely. Lots of rhubarb and from the looks of it lots of plums and pears as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping. You never can tell but one of the wondrous things about an allotment is the hope it creates.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Spring has definitely sprung in your part of the world. Hope the trees survive the frost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - us too. I'm not so fussed about the strawberries as they survive out all year and it's too early for blossom damage.
      xx

      Delete
  6. You have definitely been busy in the allotment! Wow that's a lot of work.

    Glad you could finally deliver the Christmas and birthday presents. My sister was looking forward to having her daughter and Grandson visit in the garden today. It's been a while since they have done more than wave at each other from afar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely to be able to hand them over at last.
      Jackie hopes to have one of her daughters and child in the garden today.
      xx

      Delete